New homes quality?

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Its easier to kick in the typical villages front door than remove hinges--the doors in S.Florida must swing out/ for wind protection

There are security hinges with set screws that make it difficult to remove the pins
My house suffered a direct hit from a Cat 1 hurricane without an issue, I think it is fantastic. You are just looking for issues that don't exist.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 12-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage

Sounds like we have a professional land lord, commenting on houses that are rental units, once you live in a house your personal preferences kick in--when you actually stop being a snowflake-- things may change
Old 12-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Sounds like we have a professional land lord, commenting on houses that are rental units, once you live in a house your personal preferences kick in--when you actually stop being a snowflake-- things may change
We plan on changing finishes inside, that's it. Expanding the Lanai and landcaping outside, but just replacing carpet inside (it will be 10 years old at that point). We spend 3 weeks a year in the houses, I don't need much changed. The OP asked about build quality - it is fine.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 12-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Why would you want the entry door to swing out ?

1. The hinges would be exposed threaten security
2. The wind could catch the door when opening
3. How would you install a screen door
4. You need to step backwards when entering with a handful of groceries
Reason For Out Swing Doors (Chatbrat Suggestion)
Swing out doors are a requirement for coastal locations (Miami, Dada County etc with design winds of 170 mph. TV is designed for 140 mph and does not require outswing doors. You can improve the strength of the in swing doors with reinforcing the door itself around the door knob to make the door more resistant to forces from outside such as wind or a kick from a burglar.
You can reinforce the door frame around the area that the doorlatch bolts and or door latch on the door knob goes into. See Defender Security Prime line Door Strike which now provides a metal piece some 6 inches long compared to the strength provided by a 1/2 piece of wood door material secured by 3/4 wood screws and door strike. I have done these for in swing doors. DIY and Security shops have various types.

1. For outswing doors as explained earlier you can drill holes in door hinge that are not exposed to outside and insert set screws.
2. Agree but do not open your front door in very high winds whether it swings in or out since both have similar issues but in different directions. Use garage door if absolutely necessary to get out or in.
3. Need details on door but "Hidden Screen Door" may be possible
4. Use garage door
In case of high winds open garage door,pull into garage, turn off engine shut garage door, now enter the house

Garage Fire Design Considerations
A quick look at Florida building codes:
1.Garage door to house needs to be fire resistant . The door in my house looks thick enough to qualify but is not labeled as such.
2. Walls to occupied house need to be fire resistant and block homes qualify. Wood frame homes may require 5/8 inch sheetrock to be fire resistant.
3. Garage ceilings need to be fire resistant if there is habitable space above.above. Not less than 5/8 sheetrock should be used

Hope this helps
Old 12-19-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

[QUOTE=ton80;1703143] Reason For Out Swing Doors (Chatbrat Suggestion)
Swing out doors are a requirement for coastal locations (Miami, Dada County etc with design winds of 170 mph. TV is designed for 140 mph and does not require outswing doors.

I still don't totally get it. The code is to protect one from the door blowing in ? Why not require a stronger frame. However still miffs me in that almost all these houses in Florida have sliding glass doors also. If something was going to blow in it will be those. What is the code on those ?
Old 12-19-2019, 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=rustyp;1703150]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ton80 View Post
Reason For Out Swing Doors (Chatbrat Suggestion)
Swing out doors are a requirement for coastal locations (Miami, Dada County etc with design winds of 170 mph. TV is designed for 140 mph and does not require outswing doors.

I still don't totally get it. The code is to protect one from the door blowing in ? Why not require a stronger frame. However still miffs me in that almost all these houses in Florida have sliding glass doors also. If something was going to blow in it will be those. What is the code on those ?
I don't want to get into a debate on what the codes should require or why not increase the wind design for all areas. This is done by a consortium of the state building officials, the insurance industry, building materials suppliers etc. My point was that our inland area Sumter Co. etc is designed to handle 140 mph winds whereas the coastal areas designated as high velocity areas are designed to meet 170 mph winds. Hurricanes lose strength as they move inland and lose the energy provided by warm water and get slowed down by interacting with internal landscape. Hurricane Irma was Cat 4 at the coast but barely Cat 1 in Wildwood.
Increasing design criteria adds cost to the home that the code officials deem unnecessary based on history etc. The codes are reviewed to assess need for change. Of course each individual could decide to make changes at their expense.

Sliding glass doors are built to the same wind speed and pressure as the rest of the house. The glass portion has the same design criteria as windows do. The sliding door frame is easier to make more resistant to wind because it is metal, is fastened to concrete by substantial screws designed for concrete about every ft in every track. IMHO I believe that the sliding doors are inherently at least as strong as the front door against wind pressure.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

[QUOTE=ton80;1703154]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

I don't want to get into a debate on what the codes should require or why not increase the wind design for all areas. This is done by a consortium of the state building officials, the insurance industry, building materials suppliers etc. My point was that our inland area Sumter Co. etc is designed to handle 140 mph winds whereas the coastal areas designated as high velocity areas are designed to meet 170 mph winds. Hurricanes lose strength as they move inland and lose the energy provided by warm water and get slowed down by interacting with internal landscape. Hurricane Irma was Cat 4 at the coast but barely Cat 1 in Wildwood.
Increasing design criteria adds cost to the home that the code officials deem unnecessary based on history etc. The codes are reviewed to assess need for change. Of course each individual could decide to make changes at their expense.

Sliding glass doors are built to the same wind speed and pressure as the rest of the house. The glass portion has the same design criteria as windows do. The sliding door frame is easier to make more resistant to wind because it is metal, is fastened to concrete by substantial screws designed for concrete about every ft in every track. IMHO I believe that the sliding doors are inherently at least as strong as the front door against wind pressure.
Thank you for the info on what the code is.

Last edited by rustyp; 12-19-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Consider the builder's perspective. He has to meet code, after that point there is a finite amount to finish the home. Now would you spend your money on a slightly nicer light fixture, perhaps an extra ceiling fan or something that virtually no one will notice, much less care?

The carpet is new, clean and smells nice. The valves work. This covers over 99% of the target audience.

Are the valves the cheapest available, yup. Should the carpet be removed before you ever move in? That's a great idea!

I do commend you for noticing, I thought that was was almost alone.

The homes are fine. No faulty construction.
we just had a home inspection done by a 3rd party, his report shows 'superior construction' on this villa, so i'm not worried about standard carpets or valves
Old 12-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Default Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Just did visit of new designer homes on tour south of 44. Nice appliances, same cheap beige carpet in bedrooms, AND push/pull shutoff valves that all up "north" have been replacing.
9 years ago we bought our lot, chose the designer house and went up north. Before leaving asked a friend to send pics and inform me when framing was complete so I could inspect all framing, roughed in plumbing and electrical prior to Sheetrock. I came down and was informed inspection complete and approved for sheetrocking.
Multiple studs, sills, joists, walls, corners and a few roof truss were an absolute mess. I sent many pics to our sales rep asking him to inform the right people that no way sheet rocking was happening...
The general contractor’s crew came out and fixed everything... After moving in I did look at a few other houses prior to sheetrock and they looked good.. so maybe mine was just a rookie team.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,241 Posts

My recent build checked every box on the wind mitigation list resulting in close to a $800/yr of discounts in homeowners insurance.

Last edited by Altavia; 12-19-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 12-20-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
Re: Home quality and construction.....how are your windows this AM if you live in Mallory? (especially on the "older" side)
Two thoughts...

Don't understand what you are asking

Which is the "older side" of Mallory?

Tags
beige, north, valves, shutoff, push/pull

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.