New homesites in Southern area right near Turnpike

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2021, 07:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default New homesites in Southern area right near Turnpike

We receive emails and links from our TV Real Estate agent ocassionally re new homes/areas for sale etc.

She included a TV link detailing the Village of CITRUS GROVE, south of Meggison Road and just north of the Turnpike. The new constrution of the Champ golf course is right there. The southern part of the course directly borders the Turnpike.

I checked out some new HOMESITES there (from the link below). There are quite a few available bordering the north side of the course - All over $250K, with most (what appears to be) less than 100 yards away from the Turnpike.

We've heard, on ToTV of some new residents South (Monarch Grove) complaining about the Turnpike noise etc. I must wonder, investing $250K for a new homesite with Champ course view, but perhaps living with the highway sounds...????
Even if berms/walls etc are built... Personally I would really think twice about building there, and potential noise/resale issues.

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale
Old 05-15-2021, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We receive emails and links from our TV Real Estate agent ocassionally re new homes/areas for sale etc.

She included a TV link detailing the Village of CITRUS GROVE, south of Meggison Road and just north of the Turnpike. The new constrution of the Champ golf course is right there. The southern part of the course directly borders the Turnpike.

I checked out some new HOMESITES there (from the link below). There are quite a few available bordering the north side of the course - All over $250K, with most (what appears to be) less than 100 yards away from the Turnpike.

We've heard, on ToTV of some new residents South (Monarch Grove) complaining about the Turnpike noise etc. I must wonder, investing $250K for a new homesite with Champ course view, but perhaps living with the highway sounds...????
Even if berms/walls etc are built... Personally I would really think twice about building there, and potential noise/resale issues.

There are two threads running now on the price of new homes here in The Villages.

Last night I was up way too late watching "Flip or Flop" on HGTV. Based in California, they were showing old ranches with one bath, about 1500 sq. ft. with mold and termites and urine soaked carpets at just shy of $500K. AND THAT WAS THE NORM.

Home prices are soaring. Yes I would choose a new home with highway noise.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Investing THAT amount ($1/4 Mill) in a homesite, plus building a really nice Designer house - with the ASSUMPTION that the 'noise' won't be an issue, is one that I would not easily consider. I'd need to be ABSOLUTELY certain...no issue.

Brings back memories of me, in my youth (yout), growing up in the 50's right in the flight path of Midway Airport -Chicago. At that time the Busiest in the world, prop planes. NEVER got 'used to' the ocassional roar, let alone the crashes.

Then in 1969, buying a new Dodge Charger - the dealer did not have the color in stock and vinyl roof that we really wanted... the sales rep said, oh after a few months, you'll forget that. Never did.

Then a home in Downers Grove IL in the 80's. They enlarged a 2 lane highway into a 6 lane tollway about 3/4 mile from our home - during meetings they said "walls etc will absorb any noise. On quiet night, easy to hear the whine and roar of semi tires.

So in my 'elder years' I have learned that "you'll get used to it" seldom happens.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

Do a search on here, this has been discussed many times before. With hundreds of posts!
(its a dead horse)
Old 05-15-2021, 07:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

I lived near a major highway for years, I regretted it every day. Also, you must consider resale value.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
She included a TV link detailing the Village of CITRUS GROVE, south of Meggison Road and just north of the Turnpike. The new construction of the Champ golf course is right there. The southern part of the course directly borders the Turnpike.

We have been riding our bikes on the roads through that area almost every Sunday when the workers are not around.

Some lots near the new 5th green of the Laurel Oak golf course are not too noisy, but others get a lot of noise from the turnpike. If you are interested, you need to go there and see for yourself.

I would avoid the lots next to the golf course. They look too dangerous to me.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We have been riding our bikes on the roads through that area almost every Sunday when the workers are not around.

Some lots near the new 5th green of the Laurel Oak golf course are not too noisy, but others get a lot of noise from the turnpike. If you are interested, you need to go there and see for yourself.

I would avoid the lots next to the golf course. They look too dangerous to me.
You are correct in avoiding lots next to the Championship golf course because they are very dangerous. Just ask the poor folks that live on the 9th fairway of the Oaks course at Hacienda Hills. Any premium you pay for such a home can disappear just like that.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Gold member

Seems simple to me. The Villages sells thousands of homes each year, some near the Turnpike and some not so near. If you don't want to hear the drone of traffic, buy a house further away. What am I missing here?
Old 05-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Investing THAT amount ($1/4 Mill) in a homesite, plus building a really nice Designer house - with the ASSUMPTION that the 'noise' won't be an issue, is one that I would not easily consider. I'd need to be ABSOLUTELY certain...no issue.

Brings back memories of me, in my youth (yout), growing up in the 50's right in the flight path of Midway Airport -Chicago. At that time the Busiest in the world, prop planes. NEVER got 'used to' the ocassional roar, let alone the crashes.

Then in 1969, buying a new Dodge Charger - the dealer did not have the color in stock and vinyl roof that we really wanted... the sales rep said, oh after a few months, you'll forget that. Never did.

Then a home in Downers Grove IL in the 80's. They enlarged a 2 lane highway into a 6 lane tollway about 3/4 mile from our home - during meetings they said "walls etc will absorb any noise. On quiet night, easy to hear the whine and roar of semi tires.

So in my 'elder years' I have learned that "you'll get used to it" seldom happens.
Losing our hearing is a common occurrence around The Villages. Things are much more quiet for me than they used to be.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

There are too many other options,
I would immediately pass on living next to the turnpike or any other noisy spot.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
There are too many other options,
I would immediately pass on living next to the turnpike or any other noisy spot.
Maybe a retired truck driver.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We looked at couple of lots yesterday in Citrus Grove, on the course. Cost was less than a lot in Chitty Chatty, on the wet area with 2 sets of power lines in direct view. The lots we looked at without any homes turnpike noise was negligible, but am sure at times would be background noise.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I lived near a major highway for years, I regretted it every day. Also, you must consider resale value.
Grew up in Brooklyn along the flight path of JFK. Every 90 seconds conversations would stop while planes flew by.

Been there done that and no way do we buy a house with noise of cars and trucks in our backyard.

It is amusing when people move in and say they had no idea the area would be so noisy.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:25 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

One thing is certain, each and every one of those lots will be sold and onto the next village. They have two new homes still for sale in Chitty Chatty and they are not reducing the prices on them as they typically do at the end of a build out.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

These homesites are set a little further back from the Turnpike than those in Monarch Grove along Hickey Way, 250' vs 750' from the back property line to the Turnpike. Hickey Way is pretty noisy. I'm not sure the extra 500' with only a golf course between will be much better.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, homesites, $250k, champ, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.