New House: rip out carpet in bedrooms and replace with tile that is in other areas?

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Gold member
Default New House: rip out carpet in bedrooms and replace with tile that is in other areas?

Need opinions please...…...new house that is currently empty. Would you rip up the carpet in the bedrooms and replace those rooms with the tile that is in the rest of the home? Or, is carpet best in the bedrooms? Fear is down the road when the carpet is worn, the tile will no longer be available, if we want tile then...…..thanks. Should add, house is very small.

Last edited by Debfrommaine; 03-16-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

We like the comfort of having carpet in the bedroom as the tile in our living area is hard on feet, our home is 3 years old now and no problem with the carpet. If we were to decide to replace it there are alternates to matching tile, we would probably go with hardwood and area rugs rather than matching the tile.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

In my opinion, rip out the carpet and match the tile throughout. You will increase the value of your house. Use area rugs in the bedrooms. I think a consistent flooring material throughout is always a good selling point for a house. When I look at a house, I hate to see a dark, hardwood or laminate floor in the bedrooms, when the rest of the house has a light colored tile.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Platinum member

To me there is nothing worse than buying a house with someone else's "used carpet". I just don't like it. I think of their bare feet. But that's just me, I'm funny that way.

We once rented a chalet in a honeymoon resort up in the mountains. Everything was carpeted, that included all the areas around the indoor heartshaped whirlpool/spa and even the floors in the bathroom were covered in carpet, and it grossed me out -- my imagination sometimes runs wild but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Just saying. LOL

Personally I would go with tile or hardwood or anything except fabric and then use large area rugs.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:17 PM

We left the carpet in the guest bedrooms. Very little traffic in 9 years. Easy to replace anytime.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Platinum member

I’m a carpet girl. I don’t like tile especially in the bedrooms.
If I had pets that would change my mind.
If i wanted to get rid of the carpet I would do wood floors.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I like it quiet when I sleep, tile is not quiet, so for me carpet is a requirement, not sure if area rugs would work. Our carpet is about 6 years old, and I am considering carpet squares (similar to tile) for a DIY installation. This would allow for a much easier remove and install and avoid having to possibly empty the room or move the furniture several times. Just did this in the den, removed carpet 4 feet wide at a time, installed crack stop barrier, then tile, and then moved furniture to tile and repeated for remaining carpeted areas, work very well for DIY.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage

I also hate to see different flooring in different rooms. But, more importantly, whatever you decide to do, do it now, while you still can buy tile to match, if that is your choice. Our tile is long discontinued, we need to replace the carpet in the bedrooms, and none of the alternatives, laminate, wood, luxury vinyl plank, or mismatched tile, is entirely satisfactory. Or, it could be we that we can't agree on which would be best.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

If I could afford to build a house however I wanted, I'd do tile in the kitchen and bathrooms, and the high-end acrylic laminate for all of the other rooms and hallways. I'd lay down antique Persian area rugs in the living room and bedrooms, and a similar pattern hall runner for the main hallway. I'd also lay tile on the lanai with a nice durable and washable outdoor rug over it.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
To me there is nothing worse than buying a house with someone else's "used carpet". I just don't like it. I think of their bare feet. But that's just me, I'm funny that way.

We once rented a chalet in a honeymoon resort up in the mountains. Everything was carpeted, that included all the areas around the indoor heartshaped whirlpool/spa and even the floors in the bathroom were covered in carpet, and it grossed me out -- my imagination sometimes runs wild but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Just saying. LOL

Personally I would go with tile or hardwood or anything except fabric and then use large area rugs.
So, they didn’t use the rest of the used house, just the carpets? Most pre-owned home sold have carpet allowance to suck money from the seller and probably most don’t replace carpet and just steam clean it?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Need opinions please...…...new house that is currently empty. Would you rip up the carpet in the bedrooms and replace those rooms with the tile that is in the rest of the home? Or, is carpet best in the bedrooms? Fear is down the road when the carpet is worn, the tile will no longer be available, if we want tile then...…..thanks. Should add, house is very small.
Why ask someone else, it’s you’re house, if you don’t like carpet replace it.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:46 PM

Before we moved into our new home, we had the carpet in the bedrooms replaced with tile. There was a box in the HVAC room with the ID # and extra tile, so we had the info for the specific, matching tile - also on the list provided at closing. The one important thing is to have them take up the cut off tile pieces at the doorways and replace with full tiles so it looks seamless - looks like it was installed that way. We love it

Last edited by Joanne and Mike; 03-16-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-16-2020, 10:56 PM
Sage

We put in high end laminate in all the bedrooms-- it for us-and we don't care about resale-- we buy a house to live and all the houses we have had , never had a mortgage, when we sold them we made a great profit--its location--the house we made the most on, the purchaser bulldozed it and bit what he wanted
Old 03-17-2020, 04:50 AM

I would definitely remove the carpet as I have done in my last three homes. Carpet get filthy dirty attracting dust, etc. It wears and stretches over time. I would not install tile but would install a wood floor. Looks much nicer than tile, in my opinion, and is softer to walk on. Cost is about the same. Tile in other areas if fine but not for a bedroom. Just my .02
Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 AM

Yes! Carpet absorbs oils, pollen, dirt, pet whatever, etc. Really disgusting! Tile would give it a unified look and you could put rugs over it and create a floor style based on what you like. If the tile is unavailable, try an engineered wood in the bedrooms and warm it up in the winter with rugs.
Closed Thread

Tags
tile, carpet, bedrooms, house, replace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.