New House > Something to check or Hearing a strange light pop noises?

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2019, 04:17 PM
Veteran member
Default New House > Something to check or Hearing a strange light pop noises?

If you have a relatively new house you might want to check how the supports for the shelving in the closets were placed. After having 2 of our closet shelves collapse (took 4+ years) we discovered The Villages contractor didn't place the supporting brackets for the closet clothing wire shelving into the studs (Metal). Once the amount of clothing grows the weight becomes too heavy for the shelve supports and they collapse. For some strange reason, it only happens on my wife's clothing racks, not mine.

If you hear some strange noises happening you probably should check and see if the supports were placed into studs and not just drywall. If your new house is still under warranty I would also check and if they aren't into studs I would complain to Home Warranty. I'm not sure if they will do anything about it but the odds are good at some point you will find the clothes on the floor and the shelving tore out of the drywall. You won't be a happy camper. Our home inspector didn't find this issue. For awhile we were thinking: no clue?, birds landing on the roof, golf ball but almost impossible to hit our house, or a sinkhole starting. If you do find your closet shelves weren't installed properly please post a note below. Hope I helped someone.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

I wouldn't expect the wire shelving to be attached to the metal or wood wall studs. But, they should at least be attached using an adequate number of strong drywall anchors. If installed properly, the shelving will support a good amount of weight, but they are not going to support everything.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would never even think that they not properly installed. Thanks for the heads up.
Closed Thread

Tags
check, house, find, studs, clothing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.