New Info on Moffitt

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Tbugs, yes, I would celebrate it as a victory if Moffitt Center was pulled from TV, at least if we can't get straight answers and we're left with feeling that the entire thing is built on lies. Leesburg will have one and would actually be closer to those in the southern part of TV than TV-Moffitt would be. We're not talking of having to drive to Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Gainesville or any great distance. We're talking Leesburg! Sorry, I do consider that local even though not golf cart accessible (and, having gone through chemo, the last thing I want to do is take a drive in a golf cart after treatment).
My sentiments.....exactly!!

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Default Whose responsibility to inform or be informed?

As a retired physician, I have followed the Moffitt Cancer Center odyssey for months. We are all of an age at which we have experienced a great deal in our lives. There are many sources of information and "spin" out there. The developer has no responsibility to fully inform consumers of every detail of this business venture. The consumer (donor) can choose to donate or not. If you feel you have been misled, you could have investigated further through the internet.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Default Follow the Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
As a retired physician, I have followed the Moffitt Cancer Center odyssey for months. We are all of an age at which we have experienced a great deal in our lives. There are many sources of information and "spin" out there. The developer has no responsibility to fully inform consumers of every detail of this business venture. The consumer (donor) can choose to donate or not. If you feel you have been misled, you could have investigated further through the internet.
Are you saying it is OK for the developer to mislead Villagers in order to get donations for the Moffitt affiliate? Then I guess it's OK for a physician to order unnecessary procedures for a patient because they should have investigated further through the internet.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Gold member
Default Lying is lying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajakk View Post
Are you saying it is OK for the developer to mislead Villagers in order to get donations for the Moffitt affiliate? Then I guess it's OK for a physician to order unnecessary procedures for a patient because they should have investigated further through the internet.
Well said.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Default Follow the Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Other than renting the building to CFHA how come you keep putting Morse in the picture. This is a CFHA thing with Moffitt and to my knowledge Morse (or any other family member) has no financial control of CFHA.

Am I missing something?
Yes, CFHA has nothing to do with the fund drive. CFHA is the parent company for Leesburg Hospital and The Village Health System, which is doing the fundraising. Morse is very much involved with The Villages Regional Hospital Foundation Inc. I don't keep putting him in the picture, he did that himself by conspiring to mislead people who believe he would look out for their best interests.

Known corporate affiliations. Click on a circle, it's interactive. Provided by Whalen

http://www.corporationwiki.com/graph...px?id=14993004
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Yes, CFHA has nothing to do with the fund drive. CFHA is the parent company for Leesburg Hospital and The Village Health System, which is doing the fundraising. Morse is very much involved with The Villages Regional Hospital Foundation Inc. I don't keep putting him in the picture, he did that himself by conspiring to mislead people who believe he would look out for their best interests.

Known corporate affiliations. Click on a circle, it's interactive. Provided by Whalen

The Villages Regional Hospital System, it's Foundation and parent organization(CFHA) are all legitimate not for profit entities. Contributions to any of these are generally tax deductible to the donors. Their literature indicates they have embarked on a cooperative effort with Moffitt Cancer Centers(also a not for profit.) If a Morse is involved with one of these entities he most likely serves as an unpaid director or trustee. Not for profits have limitations on payments to such officials and as I recall they are limited to out of pocket expenses of the receiving party related to travel/attendance costs. The boards of the organizations have a fiduciary duty to see that expenses including rent payments are reasonable( usually defined as at market) even if the lessor is associated in some way with the organization. A director/trustee involved in such a leasing arrangement should abstain from voting to approve such a transaction. At this point I see nothing that would lead me to believe that this is not an effort that villagers should support. Of course we are all free to decide which projects we will contribute to, but much of the criricism that I read in the TOTV seems to relate to a dislike of a Morse and not the value of the project. If my understanding of the situation is not accurate, I would be happy to hear from others. However please don't impune my motive in posting here. We've heard enough of that.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage

Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:

Nice graph - But please ajakk, can you explain to me HOW this makes Morse any money other than the rental of the office space? I understand that you and Red and others don't like HOW they went about doing this but where is the money being put into the wrong hands? Please cite all sources for verification. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
The Villages Regional Hospital System, it's Foundation and parent organization(CFHA) are all legitimate not for profit entities. Contributions to any of these are generally tax deductible to the donors. Their literature indicates they have embarked on a cooperative effort with Moffitt Cancer Centers(also a not for profit.) If a Morse is involved with one of these entities he most likely serves as an unpaid director or trustee. Not for profits have limitations on payments to such officials and as I recall they are limited to out of pocket expenses of the receiving party related to travel/attendance costs. The boards of the organizations have a fiduciary duty to see that expenses including rent payments are reasonable( usually defined as at market) even if the lessor is associated in some way with the organization. A director/trustee involved in such a leasing arrangement should abstain from voting to approve such a transaction. At this point I see nothing that would lead me to believe that this is not an effort that villagers should support. Of course we are all free to decide which projects we will contribute to, but much of the criricism that I read in the TOTV seems to relate to a dislike of a Morse and not the value of the project. If my understanding of the situation is not accurate, I would be happy to hear from others. However please don't impune my motive in posting here. We've heard enough of that.
Thank you for an informed, articulate representation of the facts. You have defined the circumstances fairly and objectively leaving room for those who disagree with the latitude to do so. Well done.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
According to the link for the Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, the Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, Inc. is located at 1020 Lake Sumter Lndg The Villages, FL 32162. The officers include H. Gary Morse, Jennifer L Parr, Lee S Huntley, Mark G Morse, Tracy L Mathews. The Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, Inc. was incorporated on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 in the State of FL and is currently active. Steven M Roy represents The Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, Inc. as their registered agent.
Source: Public Record data - Department of State - Division of Corporations.

If members of the family abstained from voting, only Lee S. Huntley would be making the decisions by himself. He is listed as the President and CEO of the Central Florida Health Alliance.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
According to the link for the Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, the Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, Inc. is located at 1020 Lake Sumter Lndg The Villages, FL 32162. The officers include H. Gary Morse, Jennifer L Parr, Lee S Huntley, Mark G Morse, Tracy L Mathews. The Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, Inc. was incorporated on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 in the State of FL and is currently active. Steven M Roy represents The Villages Regional Hospital Foundation, Inc. as their registered agent.
Source: Public Record data - Department of State - Division of Corporations.

If members of the family abstained from voting, only Lee S. Huntley would be making the decisions by himself. He is listed as the President and CEO of the Central Florida Health Alliance.
Yes, that is the fund raising arm of the hospital. Not in control of hospital operations. Correct?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Yes, that is the fund raising arm of the hospital. Not in control of hospital operations. Correct?
Correct. See filings with the FLorida Department of State-Division of Corporations, ie Articles of Incorporation, Annual Reports and Others.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Correct, See Florida Department of State -Division of Corporations filings, ie Articles of Incorporation, Annual Reports etc
Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
Thank you for taking the time to contribute to the dialog. Putting the fiscal and business gymnastics aside, as a physician, would you consider Moffitt's
establishment in the Villages a net plus? It's been argued that Moffitt is not needed because we have one cancer care facility in the Villages already and another in Leesburg.

Can you offer any other insights through your unique professional perspective. To date, the fog of flawed facts has inflated emotions, clouded the issue and reduced the pursuit of quality care to hyperbole and useless finger pointing.

Perhaps views from someone with your experience will provide the enlightenment we need to move forward.

In any case, thanks for contributing.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Just a quick correction to Cabo's question -- my argument has always been that Moffitt is building a cancer satellite/center in Leesburg, 20 minute drive (max) from TV. Given that there will be a Moffitt Center so close, do we really need another Moffitt Center in TV itself?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.