? for those who have purchased older homes

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2023, 03:21 AM
Default ? for those who have purchased older homes

We are looking at homes in the 15 -20 year old range in Sumpter county simply because of the location and lower tax
Working with a realtor and we told him to only show us houses with new or newer roofs because of all the stories I have heard about insuring with an older roof.

My ? is if purchasing a house in that age range with a new or newer roof is the price of insurance back to reasonable levels.

He is telling me I could expect to pay about 1200-1500 a year with a house that age with a new roof.

I would like to hear from anyone who is actually in that situation.

We just came back from a lifestyle visit and it was everything I expected and more.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2023, 05:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 971 Posts

We bought 2 years ago (close to 2 1/2 years now) in Poinciana. House was built in 2006. There was nothing actually failing with the roof, but we were hearing stories about the difficulty insuring roofs of that age. We had it inspected twice by reputable (not insurance scammers) roofing companies and both said "it's OK now, but within a few years it's going to need replacing"...
Our insurance is with Allstate. Not the cheapest, but I've had them for years up north and I more or less trust them.
Our decision was to go ahead and have a new roof done after one year. I don't know if my insurance would have been a problem or not, but I'm a snowbird and I didn't want to hear about a problem while I was up north.
Also, prices were going up weekly it seemed, so I figured if I did it "now" (one year ago) I might not need to do it again in my lifetime. I might be wrong about that.

We bought where we did because we wanted the location, more or less equally positioned between LSL and Brownwood. For some reason we seem to favor LSL over Brownwood. After 2 1/2 years we are delighted with our choice.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:11 AM

Type and size of houses you are looking at was not specified in original post so it is difficult to say if realtor's estimate is accurate. If you are looking at designer size houses around 2000 sq ft it might be a little low. I just recently shopped my homeowner's insurance and the best I could get was about $2,100. That required bundling with auto and golf cart to get discounts. Our home is 12 years old with original roof in good condition. Insurance company required an inspection before they would insure us.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

I would suggest that you at least view a few new houses to compare what you get. In my opinion, the new houses offer a much better deal than the older ones, and everything is new and under warranty.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:15 AM

The lower tax on a home could be due to homestead exemption. When the house is sold, the new purchase price will become the assessed value. This will result in higher taxes. Google “Sumter county, Florida tax collector” . On that site, you can enter the street address and find the current assessed value of the home. Compare that value to the asking price and you can calculate the taxes you will be paying.

Your comment about location is the most important consideration. Every village has its own set of +/-. Asking this group about the best location is like asking who makes the best pick up truck.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 05-16-2023, 07:15 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

466 to 466A is my choice. Great golf, shopping and close to 3 towns.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

So far, no one has answered the question asked. Lake14 came close though. What's missing is the answer to the question: what's the going rate for insurance on an older home with a new roof?

He's not asking for favorite areas.
He's not asking for "best bang for the buck."
He's not asking for tax costs.

I'm unable to answer the question since I live in a manufactured home with a metal roof, so my insurance prices can't compare at all to the prices of a site-built house with a shingle roof.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:35 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Insurance

Call a few insurance companies and give them the address. They will be able to give you approx cost of the insurance and answer any other questions you have
Old 05-16-2023, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

OP, I don't think anyone can answer your question. Homeowners insurance costs range widely, and can increase by more than 50 percent in a year, or they can cancel your policy. Do a search of other threads on this topic. The newer the house, the better chance you have to get a reasonable insurance rate. I pay $880 for a 7 year old courtyard villa with Progressive. But, some posters say that they can't even get insurance with Progressive.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:02 AM

So we are looking at houses up to $400000

So far the ones we have seen were all built about 2002-2006

I guess my ? is If it came down to a house that age would the main factor in the insurance rate be the roof above everything else.

Most of the ones we looked at were remodeled and beautiful inside.

Looking for some one that has a house that age with a new or newer roof hat can give me some insight on what they are paying for insurance.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
So we are looking at houses up to $400000

So far the ones we have seen were all built about 2002-2006

I guess my ? is If it came down to a house that age would the main factor in the insurance rate be the roof above everything else.

Most of the ones we looked at were remodeled and beautiful inside.

Looking for some one that has a house that age with a new or newer roof hat can give me some insight on what they are paying for insurance.

Our home built in 2007. 2000 sq ft Lantana. Large pool, lanai, summer kitchen. Original roof. Lots of shopping resulted in a high deductible from Frontline for $1800 a year. High quote was $3000.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,180 Times in 761 Posts

Sumter County , not Sumpter County
Old 05-16-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Might you get a good buy on a house with an older roof and replace the roof?

I am a location, location, location guy. The right house in the right spot would do it for me.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-16-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopjt View Post
Our home built in 2007. 2000 sq ft Lantana. Large pool, lanai, summer kitchen. Original roof. Lots of shopping resulted in a high deductible from Frontline for $1800 a year. High quote was $3000.
Do you think it would go down substantially if you replaced roof since your roof is 16 yrs old?
Old 05-16-2023, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
So far, no one has answered the question asked. Lake14 came close though. What's missing is the answer to the question: what's the going rate for insurance on an older home with a new roof?

He's not asking for favorite areas.
He's not asking for "best bang for the buck."
He's not asking for tax costs.

I'm unable to answer the question since I live in a manufactured home with a metal roof, so my insurance prices can't compare at all to the prices of a site-built house with a shingle roof.
you are correct. I didn't have the information at my fingertips and I got sidetracked. Mrs. Laker14 just looked it up for me. 1900 sq. feet Gardenia, 1 year old roof, premium was paid in February= $2217. We went with Allstate because they bundle with cars, they have my NY home, they are reputable (I guess) and the biggie: they offered some sinkhole insurance beyond what is mandated by the state.

There are some other variables like deductibles and wind mitigation and whether you have a security system or not.
Closed Thread

Tags
roof, newer, house, range, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.