New Law - Vegetable Home Gardens NOT OK

New Law - Vegetable Home Gardens NOT OK

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Oh pishaw, deed restrictions, shmeed restrictions. You would have to be turned in by neighbors and if you are feeding them wonderful fresh veggies you probably will not get any complaints. Besides the restrictions do not matter too much, have seen hedges higher and longer than the Great Wall of China. We don't need no stinking money for a wall, we just need some of our outstanding gardeners from TV and all is solve!!!

Old 08-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think in your area there are no restrictions.
There are some lightly worded restrictions from the Original Days before the founders realized this place was going to get so big.

As bad as some think The Historic Section is decoration wise that is really not true. There is an occasional house that is just unbelievable in its disregard for socially acceptable outdoor decor. I think the lack of "Rules" and the consideration for thy neighbor keeps our Hood Nice.

I asked our next-door neighbor about yard farming together but definitely tastefully and small only in between both houses. Looks like we're in business. Just something for fun.

There is one house that has a Blue driveway. It is the biggest, ugliest shot at a neighbor I've ever seen anywhere. It has to be a joke. A very bad one, this is the kind of thing that gives us a bad reputation. I'll bet you 98 out of 100 people would agree with me and the other 2 are lying, it's rough. Needs some rows of Corn up the Driveway to cover the view!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There are some lightly worded restrictions from the Original Days before the founders realized this place was going to get so big.

As bad as some think The Historic Section is decoration wise that is really not true. There is an occasional house that is just unbelievable in its disregard for socially acceptable outdoor decor. I think the lack of "Rules" and the consideration for thy neighbor keeps our Hood Nice.

I asked our next-door neighbor about yard farming together but definitely tastefully and small only in between both houses. Looks like we're in business. Just something for fun.

There is one house that has a Blue driveway. It is the biggest, ugliest shot at a neighbor I've ever seen anywhere. It has to be a joke. A very bad one, this is the kind of thing that gives us a bad reputation. I'll bet you 98 out of 100 people would agree with me and the other 2 are lying, it's rough. Needs some rows of Corn up the Driveway to cover the view!
Chip in and offer to pay for decorative designs painted in festive magenta on that driveway to break up all that blue! C'mon, have a heart and be a good neighbor!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

I saw that UGLY Blue driveway off of Delmar,at least I hope that's the only one.I would much rather see tomatoes or any vegetable than Plastic windmills and flowers.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:14 PM

Oh please, no!! I don't want to live in Green Acres
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Nope, it’s not just an opinion. The author of the bill, Rep. Hage, confirmed that it is not the intent of the law to affect voluntarily agreed upon restrictions and that the deed restrictions every one signed (except perhaps those on the historic side) fall into that category. He intends to introduce language more specifically addressing that distinction in the next session.
Looking at the history of this legislation it was first introduced into the FL Senate by Sen. Bradley in Nov 2018. A companion bill was introduced in the Fl House by Federoff in Jan 2019. While Hage did vote for the bill he does not seem to have written it. Nor, of course, is his opinion of what it says binding. The interpretation of the law is by the judicial system. You can read the analysis of the effect of this law prepared for the legislature

Quote:
County and municipal governments have authority to enact ordinances that are not inconsistent with general law. The Legislature may preempt to the state the regulation of particular subject areas for the purpose of uniformity and promoting important state interests.

The bill prohibits the regulation of vegetable gardens on residential property by a county, municipality, or other political subdivision of the state, except as otherwise provided by law. The bill defines a vegetable garden as a plot of ground where herbs, fruits, flowers, and vegetables are cultivated for human ingestion. The bill declares void and unenforceable existing ordinances or regulations governing vegetable gardens on residential property. The provisions of the bill do not apply to general regulations not specifically regulating vegetable gardens, such as water use limits during droughts, fertilizer use, or the control of invasive species.

The bill has no fiscal impact on state government. The bill may have a negative fiscal impact on local governments to the extent those governments are assessing fines for violations of ordinances prohibiting vegetable gardens.

The bill has an effective date of July 1, 2019.

My reading of this, and I am most assuredly not a lawyer, is that local government cannot restrict fruit/vegetable gardens without an extremely good reason. And deed restrictions are not going to cut it. The reason this law was written was because some local communities were restricting and fining Floridians for having vegetable gardens. The state legislature has pre-empted the local government's authority on this issue.
I was a stranger and you WELCOMED ME : Matt 25:35, real Christianity
Old 08-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Nope, it’s not just an opinion. The author of the bill, Rep. Hage, confirmed that it is not the intent of the law to affect voluntarily agreed upon restrictions and that the deed restrictions every one signed (except perhaps those on the historic side) fall into that category. He intends to introduce language more specifically addressing that distinction in the next session.
Yep, it really is JUST an opinion, until such time as the first case...winds its way entirely through the legal system.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Looking at the history of this legislation it was first introduced into the FL Senate by Sen. Bradley in Nov 2018. A companion bill was introduced in the Fl House by Federoff in Jan 2019. While Hage did vote for the bill he does not seem to have written it. Nor, of course, is his opinion of what it says binding. The interpretation of the law is by the judicial system. You can read the analysis of the effect of this law prepared for the legislature

My reading of this, and I am most assuredly not a lawyer, is that local government cannot restrict fruit/vegetable gardens without an extremely good reason. And deed restrictions are not going to cut it. The reason this law was written was because some local communities were restricting and fining Floridians for having vegetable gardens. The state legislature has pre-empted the local government's authority on this issue.
Excellent post...thanks!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Chip in and offer to pay for decorative designs painted in festive magenta on that driveway to break up all that blue! C'mon, have a heart and be a good neighbor!
It's really something else, but luckily it's not around us. I would never put the address as that is just wrong. I wouldn't report it either.

The majority of a whole lot of neighborhood that I am familiar with are full of great people with an occasional Nudge sprinkled in just like the rest of the world. Who cares? The fight is over of course if your Dog has a problem on our lawn then it's on!

I can't get that damn Green Acres Song outta my head. LOL
Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

What reasonable person would want a garden in their front yard instead of their backyard?

Tags
law, community, gardens, vegetable, concluded