New Law - Vegetable Home Gardens NOT OK

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2019, 06:22 PM

My concern would the the quality of the recycled water that is used to water our yards.
Would that be appropriate for vegetables that we consume?
Old 08-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
The two attorneys have stated the new law's affect on TV. It's seems to me that they should know.

Why in the world would you think that those two specific attorney's opinion...should be given credence over any other attorney's opinions?

Particularly, since a case on this...has yet to go through the legal system?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
My concern would the the quality of the recycled water that is used to water our yards.
Here's the general summary answer to that question: SL339/SS544: Reclaimed Water Use in the Landscape: Frequently Asked Questions about Reclaimed Water

Quote:
Is reclaimed water safe for irrigating my vegetable garden? The Florida Department of Environmental Protection states that reclaimed water should NOT be directly applied to the surfaces of vegetables or other edible crops that are not peeled, cooked, or thermally processed before being consumed.
So you can safely use it to water the tomatoes and other crops that grow OUT of the soil. But crops that grow IN the soil (root vegetables and ground cover) would need to be cooked, peeled, or "thermally processed" before eating.

There's still the matter of raised beds, which you can plant away from the automatic sprinkler system (or zone out of the automatic watering system) and water by hand, or use filtered rainbarrel water.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Why in the world would you think that those two specific attorney's opinion...should be given credence over any other attorney's opinions?

I hope Marathon Man is right. Do you really long for a vegetable garden in your yard CNM?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:10 PM

"So you can safely use it to water the tomatoes and other crops that grow OUT of the soil. But crops that grow IN the soil (root vegetables and ground cover) would need to be cooked, peeled, or "thermally processed" before eating."

But the yard water sprinklers DO SPRAY UP ON THE SURFACE of the vegetables that grow in the yards.

So I don't see how crops that grow above the soil can safely be used as food without peeling or cooking.

Then tomatoes would not be SAFE?
Old 08-10-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I agree with your thinking. All this is much too new to be definite. There will be modifications.

It kind of reminds me of a brand new model car. You don't want to buy one the first year of manufacture until all the kinks are ironed out. Wait and see how things pan out. There will be changes.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:55 AM
Sage

By "recycled water", if you mean water that is treated by the sewage treatment plants then this is not an issue if you live north of 44. Recycled water from the sewage treatment plants is not used for residential irrigation north of 44. It is used for golf course irrigation. South of 44, recycled water from the sewage treatment plants may be used for residential irrigation.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Those deed restrictions HAVE BEEN overridden by law. That's what this thread is about. Those deed restrictions are no longer enforceable.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, you seem to be incorrect.

FL law protects your rights to grow vegetables, but not if you live under HOA rules • IAC

The new law restricts local governments but does not apply to HOAs or deed restrictions agreed to by a property owner.

Last edited by pacjag; 08-10-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: HTML fix.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Members of the Amenity Authority Committee learned at their meeting on Wednesday that a new Florida law that permits vegetable gardens in residential front yards won't affect community standards in The Villages. Lewis Stone, the AAC's attorney, said he and Valerie Fuchs, who represents the numbered Village Community Development Districts, concluded deed restrictions that Villagers agreed to in their purchase contract supersedes the new law. (Full report in Thursday August 8, 2019 Daily Sun Section C.Page C-4).
Will see you in court --- you are wrong !!!
Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hope Marathon Man is right. Do you really long for a vegetable garden in your yard CNM?
Yes I do
Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 AM
Sage

We’ll see. But generally deed restrictions agreed to by property owners are not affected by state law.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
"So you can safely use it to water the tomatoes and other crops that grow OUT of the soil. But crops that grow IN the soil (root vegetables and ground cover) would need to be cooked, peeled, or "thermally processed" before eating."

But the yard water sprinklers DO SPRAY UP ON THE SURFACE of the vegetables that grow in the yards.

So I don't see how crops that grow above the soil can safely be used as food without peeling or cooking.

Then tomatoes would not be SAFE?
Nor my jalapeno peppers which is why they're in a pot that is unaffected by the sprinklers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
We’ll see. But generally deed restrictions agreed to by property owners are not affected by state law.
State and Federal Law preempts anything you signed.
Don't believe the Powers to be your being lied to. The Deed restrictions would not hold up in court and they know that!
Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Don't believe the Powers to be your being lied to. The Deed restrictions would not hold up in court and they know that!
Can you site court cases supporting this statement?
Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I don't think anyone knows that nor do most of us think we are being lied to. What would be the point of it?

Most of us have come from areas all over the country with deed restrictions. They help all property owners maintain the homes best financial value.

Although most of us treasure creativity and avantgarde beauty, many would rather visit it in an art museum or a conservatory.

Tags
law, community, gardens, vegetable, concluded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.