New Law - Vegetable Home Gardens NOT OK

New Law - Vegetable Home Gardens NOT OK

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Gold member

Yeah this part here:
Quote:
The bill declares void and unenforceable existing ordinances or regulations governing vegetable gardens on residential property.
doesn't really need to be interpreted. It's plain English. The Villages cannot forbid vegetable gardens on a residential property.

It CAN still restrict water useage, types of fertilizers, and it still CAN restrict the types of vegetation -such as invasive species (which is also clearly worded in plain English in the next sentence of the law).

So, if corn requires certain water useage and fertilization that more Florida-friendly plants don't need, the Villages can say "sure, plant that corn, just don't water it, and don't fertlize it." You won't get much corn out of it, but you're allowed to try. Cabbages, crucifers, beets, peppers, would probably do much better, and can be grown organically, be a decorative asset to the flower bed. Most of those are very low-growing as well, can can grow in dense clusters, which serves as excellent ground cover (which is very good for the soil) and fill-ins between flowering herbs - and those tend to keep insects away and attract honeybees and hummingbirds.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
What reasonable person would want a garden in their front yard instead of their backyard?
Most people I know have gardens in their front yards. Some of those plants are vegetables, some herbs, and most of them are flowers and decorative grasses.

Some people don't get enough sun in their back yards to grow vegetables, which typically need a lot of it. Tomatoes don't grow well at all in the shade so if the only place you get full sun for most of the day is your front yard, then that's where you'll be growing your tomatoes.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Yeah this part here:
doesn't really need to be interpreted. It's plain English. The Villages cannot forbid vegetable gardens on a residential property.

It CAN still restrict water useage, types of fertilizers, and it still CAN restrict the types of vegetation -such as invasive species (which is also clearly worded in plain English in the next sentence of the law).

So, if corn requires certain water useage and fertilization that more Florida-friendly plants don't need, the Villages can say "sure, plant that corn, just don't water it, and don't fertlize it." You won't get much corn out of it, but you're allowed to try. Cabbages, crucifers, beets, peppers, would probably do much better, and can be grown organically, be a decorative asset to the flower bed. Most of those are very low-growing as well, can can grow in dense clusters, which serves as excellent ground cover (which is very good for the soil) and fill-ins between flowering herbs - and those tend to keep insects away and attract honeybees and hummingbirds.
I highly doubt anybody will plant corn? IMO tomato’s taste like crap in this area. About the only thing that’s tastes are peppers at least till the white flies kill all the leaves. I also doubt anybody will be planting in their front yards. Most yards are full to trash left over from the building and poor soil on top of that. You can water with garden hose all you want by hand.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

Quote:
Most people I know have gardens in their front yards. Some of those plants are vegetables, some herbs, and most of them are flowers and decorative grasses.

Some people don't get enough sun in their back yards to grow vegetables, which typically need a lot of it. Tomatoes don't grow well at all in the shade so if the only place you get full sun for most of the day is your front yard, then that's where you'll be growing your tomatoes.
With all due respect are you talking about in The Villages? I use to have a garden prior to retirement and coming to The Villages but wouldn’t think about growing one in my front yard here. We are a deed restricted community and for the most part we have “small” yards in TV. A garden like I use to grow would look completely out of place in The Villages in my front yard. And there is always the local farmers market or Publix which is 5 minutes away by golf cart. Reasonable people can disagree but I don’t believe the intent of the legislation was to over-ride deed restrictions like we have in The Villages.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
With all due respect are you talking about in The Villages? I use to have a garden prior to retirement and coming to The Villages but wouldn’t think about growing one in my front yard here. We are a deed restricted community and for the most part we have “small” yards in TV. A garden like I use to grow would look completely out of place in The Villages in my front yard. And there is always the local farmers market or Publix which is 5 minutes away by golf cart. Reasonable people can disagree but I don’t believe the intent of the legislation was to over-ride deed restrictions like we have in The Villages.
Those deed restrictions HAVE BEEN overridden by law. That's what this thread is about. Those deed restrictions are no longer enforceable. By the way the deed restrictions about clotheslines were never enforceable, and the ones about antennae and aerials haven't been enforceable in over 20 years (which is why you see a lot of satellite dishes on top of the houses and no one forcing anyone to take them down).

I was responding to your post which asked "what reasonable person would plant a garden in their front yard?" You didn't clarify - you didn't ask about vegetable garden, you didn't ask "in the Villages." I tend to take things literally unless the person gives some indication that they're joking. If you had posted what you actually meant, I probably would not have responded as I did.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Those deed restrictions HAVE BEEN overridden by law. That's what this thread is about. Those deed restrictions are no longer enforceable. By the way the deed restrictions about clotheslines were never enforceable, and the ones about antennae and aerials haven't been enforceable in over 20 years (which is why you see a lot of satellite dishes on top of the houses and no one forcing anyone to take them down).

I was responding to your post which asked "what reasonable person would plant a garden in their front yard?" You didn't clarify - you didn't ask about vegetable garden, you didn't ask "in the Villages." I tend to take things literally unless the person gives some indication that they're joking. If you had posted what you actually meant, I probably would not have responded as I did.
Not so fast. Wait and see. You are safe, no deed restriction about this stuff where you live. I'd check before I grew Pot though. (But Pappy's workin' on it) For the people, you know.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:

You need to do more research as to why.....
Old 08-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Gold member

Deed restrictions, for the most part, always supersede laws for this type of thing.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

The two attorneys have stated the new law's affect on TV. It's seems to me that they should know.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Deed restrictions, for the most part, always supersede laws for this type of thing.
...unless the law expressly states that communities are not allowed to restrict something.

(edited out bad analogy)...

If the law says you can do something, and the law says your community is not allowed to forbid it...

then your community is not allowed to forbid it.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, community, gardens, vegetable, concluded