New law - vegetable home gardens OK

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have had rosemary as shrubs for years. They grow to be about 3 feet high and 3 feet around and make a really nice very fragrant addition to your landscape. When I trim them I fill a lawn yard waste bag with the clippings. I have tried to give it away with no success. For those that like to use rosemary, it is very easy to grow and maintain, needs very little water and no fertilizer. And will provide you with more rosemary than you will ever be able to use.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I give it a season before the grass is back down.
Good veg is hard work!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyS View Post
Wildwood Weed will blend in nicely...

Wildwood Weed (Jim Stafford) w/ lyrics - YouTube
Yes, Yes. It would indeed!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

If an enclosure to protect your plants such as a fence and chicken wire is prohibited one problem may be critters getting to the veggies before you can.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
& pets can water at will.
That's why the crops taste funny.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:25 AM

Well. Sharlene and I are just happy as all get out. Ready to plant taters, corn, and beans but some say ya have to change some soil first.Dang.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

I was planning on having a perennial herb garden on the side of the house from the get-go. The deed restrictions never forbade that anyway. Meanwhile, there's no reason why you should have to expect people growing corn and watermelons on their front lawn. Why? Here's why:

1. Soil is lousy for that in the Villages.
2. Irrigation is equally lousy for that in the Villages.
3. The deed restrictions can be altered to say "yes you can grow veggies but they still can't be more than 3 feet high, they still have to be maintained, you still can't put up fencing around them, you still can't plant decorative ornaments or signs on your lawn or in the front flowerbed (meaning, no plastic tags that identify what plants are growing in which rows of the garden). You still have to go through ARC to get a permit for a raised bed, which they can still deny.

So sure put up those corn stalks. Just make sure to cut them down before they grow more than 3 feet tall. You won't ever yield any actual corn, but hey - you want to see how close to the limit you can get without getting fined, have at it.

Honestly, not worried at all. There are plenty of veggies that are decorative AND useful (various cabbages and lettuces, peas, and root vegetables that have flowering tops). There was never anything stopping anyone from growing tomato plants in pots. And herb gardens were never verboten so you can keep planting those.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I give it a season before the grass is back down.
Good veg is hard work!
Not really, we have been growing all our herbs, lettuce and such in our flower pots for years. It’s not hard work if you love what you are doing. North our garden is larger than my lot here
Old 06-30-2019, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
If an enclosure to protect your plants such as a fence and chicken wire is prohibited one problem may be critters getting to the veggies before you can.
the raccoon got our pineapples :-(
Old 06-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

This was the best part of the article linked in the OP: "After the Florida Supreme Court ruled in favor of Miami Shores' right to control design and landscaping standards, the couple replaced their vegetables with pink flamingos." That wouldn't fly here either. (pun intended).

The only thing I can grow successfully are weeds.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
This was the best part of the article linked in the OP: "After the Florida Supreme Court ruled in favor of Miami Shores' right to control design and landscaping standards, the couple replaced their vegetables with pink flamingos." That wouldn't fly here either. (pun intended).

The only thing I can grow successfully are weeds.
...also known as Bermuda Grass
Old 06-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

The new green houses are moving right along. Hopefully produce will be available by the fall to residents. Maybe the tomato’s will be better than what we grow here. North they are fabulous, here same plant seed, samedirt, and no flavor here. But everything else I grow here is great
Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...also known as Bermuda Grass
Actually, St. Augustine grass fits the description of a "weed"...much better than Bermuda.

Bermuda is used for a lot of golf greens, where I doubt anyone can find a course of any decency using St. Augustine...for anything.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Actually, St. Augustine grass fits the description of a "weed"...much better than Bermuda.

Bermuda is used for a lot of golf greens, where I doubt anyone can find a course of any decency using St. Augustine...for anything.
Well, it's green. So if you really love green, St. Augustine is great. Except when it's brown. But then, brown is a nice color too. I'm thinking I might rip up the entire lawn and lay down a nice big roll of astroturf. It'd look the exact same as St. Augustine, Bermuda, and Zoysia, with no maintenance, no mowing, no pesticides, no nuttin. Plus the dogs won't be able to dig it up and you can just hose it down if the neighbor refuses to bring a poop bag when he takes Fido for a walk.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Well, it's green. So if you really love green, St. Augustine is great. Except when it's brown. But then, brown is a nice color too. I'm thinking I might rip up the entire lawn and lay down a nice big roll of astroturf. It'd look the exact same as St. Augustine, Bermuda, and Zoysia, with no maintenance, no mowing, no pesticides, no nuttin. Plus the dogs won't be able to dig it up and you can just hose it down if the neighbor refuses to bring a poop bag when he takes Fido for a walk.
Add a couple of pink flamingos and a white cross...and it's perfect!
Closed Thread

Tags
law, vegetable, home, gardens, $70

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.