New neighborhood Walmart at Sarasota Plaza

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
It is far easier to complain then to actually DO something.

Anything you do will have both positive and negative results.

RE: WALMART
They are actually the largest employer in the US. Some here will bitch that Walmart does not pay their people enough.
These same people will bitch about long lines to pay at Walmart and lack of PEOPLE willing to help you

As to grocery options. We are three miles from Winn Dixie three miles from Publix and about the same from the,"farmer's market." We shop all three by golf cart

Speaking of which, here's the biggest problem I have with Walmart (and some other large corporations).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc.../#3b883aab720b
Quote:
Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.
While I applaud Walmart's growth into such a large company and provide low prices, I really wished my tax money wasn't needed...helping them do it.

If by some chance this post gets deleted from complaints, by those who don't like the truth...it doesn't change the facts.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Don't worry...there's always plenty of parking, especially in season, across the street at Publix.....
Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
More traffic for an already congested area. What were they thinking? How silly of me more money for the developer
I'm at the Colony Publix at least twice a week. In addition, I go to the pool store weekly for pool water testing. It always amazes me how people complain about the congestion. If people didn't know any better, they'd think it was like downtown Manhattan. I really don't understand how people think the Colony area is too congested, and too difficult to get in and out of. Good grief!
Old 08-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Looks like the Shell station will be lucky if he sells 5 gals/month--he's been ripping off people too long--because he was the only show in town @ that end
Old 08-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Default More money..

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
More traffic for an already congested area. What were they thinking? How silly of me more money for the developer
I am at a loss to see where placing the Walmart in Colony or somewhere else produces more money for the developers. In fact how does the developer benefit from a Walmart at all? Doesn't the benefit go to Walmart?

Yes this is a congested area, but congested area equals more people shopping ergo more money for Walmart. I have realized that even though people in The Bubble sometimes think if a decision does not meet their every need, it is because the developer wants more money. Is this a war, because in a war one side does not produce a beautiful, friendly, wonderful place for so many people to live happily. What don't we all just live happily.
As one of six children I oftentimes didn't get my way. I learned to compromise or to ignore that fact. Life went on.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicata View Post
this area is so congested. Wish tv would address this situation.
Since building Colony Plaza, TV has added Pinellas Plaza, Grand Traverse Plaza and Lake Deaton Plaza.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Let's see, people asked for more grocery options, The Villages filled that need, now the complaints start !!!!!!!
That happens every time. Just wait till they open, a whole new round of complaining.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 08-22-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicata View Post
this area is so congested. Wish tv would address this situation.
What is your solution??
Old 08-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Platinum member

Love my walmart, crowds and all.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Was in a Walmart Neighborhood Market in the Dallas area. Very well laid out for a quick shopping trip. Parking should be OK.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Shopped at one by Grapevine, TX..........enjoyed the experience.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
I am at a loss to see where placing the Walmart in Colony or somewhere else produces more money for the developers. In fact how does the developer benefit from a Walmart at all? Doesn't the benefit go to Walmart?

Yes this is a congested area, but congested area equals more people shopping ergo more money for Walmart. I have realized that even though people in The Bubble sometimes think if a decision does not meet their every need, it is because the developer wants more money. Is this a war, because in a war one side does not produce a beautiful, friendly, wonderful place for so many people to live happily. What don't we all just live happily.
As one of six children I oftentimes didn't get my way. I learned to compromise or to ignore that fact. Life went on.
The Developer got a few dollars for the land WalMart is sitting on. Likely a long term lease.

I look for most residents to shop at this neighborhood WalMart in their golf carts. Parking will be difficult when it first opens but after that.....,
Old 08-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I love your comments!! I had the thought of...."how does one know when folks are 'old'?? They hear complaining!" Too much time and too little going on I guess. It takes effort to remain positive! Thanks for offering your opinion and it's so true!!!
I joke with my friends and tell them I don't mind living with a lot of other old folks I just hate when they act old. And indeed it does takes effort to remain positive.

However, not all complaints are without merit and not all complaints are because people have too much time on their hands.

I disliked being in long lines when I was a kid in the military and I still do. I disliked congested roads and slow traffic when I was a kid and I still do.............

When I first moved here I was told we were lucky because a Walmart was coming to 466. I replied I prefer it didn't because I didn't want to see 466 become a 441. Look at 466 and its frontage road today

NIMBY is not solely an old age phenomenon .

Now what I have come to believe from being a member on this forum for a few years now is that a sign of old age reflects those posters who continually complain about people's right to complain.

What I have come to believe in life about people who complain about people complaining can be underscored with this old saw DEPENDS ON WHOSE OX IS BEING GORED

Personal Best Regards:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
As the construction nears end and the blacktop is being put down you can get an idea of the parking. I can't imagine there will be enough parking spaces there. The gas station takes up 1/3 of the front, the employees need to park. Looks like it will be hard to find a spot in the small parking lot.
I think the resident expert on parking was zcaveman(sp?) I got some chuckles out of the posts on "The Club Rehab. Parking long before it ever opened.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

[QUOTE=ColdNoMore;1438768]Speaking of which, here's the biggest problem I have with Walmart (and some other large corporations).
While I applaud Walmart's growth into such a large company and provide low prices, I really wished my tax money wasn't needed...helping them do it.QUOTE]

Cold, I always respect your opinion but in the spirit of friendly debate are you suggesting that Walmart should not provide ANY jobs to low income people?? A job is a job and the last I checked, no one is being forced to work for Walmart. You should also know that many low income job seekers deliberately gauge how many hours they can work before they lose Federal and State benefits. If you have a concern about wasted tax dollars, that is where I would start.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Cold, I always respect your opinion but in the spirit of friendly debate are you suggesting that Walmart should not provide ANY jobs to low income people?? A job is a job and the last I checked, no one is being forced to work for Walmart. You should also know that many low income job seekers deliberately gauge how many hours they can work before they lose Federal and State benefits. If you have a concern about wasted tax dollars, that is where I would start.
In reciprocity of having a "friendly" debate, and trying to keep this thread from being shut down due to becoming political, let's just say that I don't see the need to subsidize multi-billion dollar companies...or even whole industries for that matter.

Many folks like to grasp at the false idea/stereotype of the 'Welfare Queen' to justify a lot of things, but the truth of the matter is... that there are millions of the 'working poor.'

And I'll just leave it at that...with my appreciation for your reasonable approach.
Closed Thread

Tags
parking, spot, gas, station, takes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.