New Post Office

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 09:15 AM

Where is it
Old 11-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Did anyone on this website ever take an English Composition course in school? The writing here is totally incoherent. Does anyone proofread their comments before pressing “submit?” Better yet, does anyone think twice about the soundness of their arguments? It sounds illiterate at best.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I'm going to go off point a bit here...but it's still about the USPS

funny how someone's gripe can bring back a memory or two....

years ago when we lived in a very small rural farming community (1500 registered voters) in New England the town post office was located inside the family run country store in the center of town...it took up a whole corner to itself right next to the deli counter...you parked wherever you could, sometimes with a walk, sometimes not. Often cars and pickups were left running, 'in park'...with no one inside

if the storekeeper was busy slicing up meat at the deli, or waiting on a customer, you waited for him/her to finish, wash their hands and come around behind the window designated as the "post office" (which looked very similar to an old bank teller's window)

if someone's kid came into the store alone, you might hear "your mom's got a package, don't you leave until I get it for ya"

the aroma of freshly baked bread and whatever else they were cooking that day often resulted in walking out with more than just the stamps that you came in for.....

Eventually, the post office had it's own building, which they leased from a farmer... every year for one week in the spring, when the strawberries were ripe, the farmer would donate the berries, the ladies in town would bake biscuits and you'd get a free strawberry shortcake, topped with freshly whipped cream (donated by the cows out back) just for stopping in...

our "post office" was the meeting place where you'd catch up on all the local gossip....second only to the obligatory Saturday trip to the town transfer station (but back then we still called it 'the dump')...which was where you got all the dirt on what was going on
Old 11-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyjerez View Post
Where is it
It's about 75 yards east of the old post office on LaGrande Blvd in the village of Silver Lake.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Have news for you not just USPS. When pay my taxes today, PACKED, was handing out number outside door, BUT, wasn’t calling number in side, total goat rope!!!
What is a goat road ?
Old 11-25-2020, 10:31 AM

Best option for paying taxes...go online to the tax dept website. Pay by e check. No fees, no waiting, no driving, very easy!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Post offices are pretty much alike. Everywhere I have lived.

The bushes in front are not taken care of and the windows are not washed frequently.

From Thanksgiving on, Post Offices everywhere will be busy.

It is a carrier service run by the government with all of the good and bad things that go with it.

Please don't blame the Morses. They usually keep things nice.

I love our CDD.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

It’s a convenience post office that we are lucky to have still , after all the big one I’d less then 4 or 5 minutes away
Old 11-25-2020, 11:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
The PO rents the building from The Villages developer BUILT.
But did the Post Office design the building? It doesn't look like it can be used for anything other than a post office.

It looks OK to me other than the fact that my box is now about as far away from the front entrance as possible. In the old building my box was a few steps from the entrance.

I wish they had moved it a few yards to the west and built a golf cart path around the back.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arickis View Post
Best option for paying taxes...go online to the tax dept website. Pay by e check. No fees, no waiting, no driving, very easy!
I agree. I'm surprised to hear that people go in person to pay their taxes these days. At the very least, I'd stick a check in the mail.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 AM

Well, the new building is a substation of the lady lake post office. The P.O. very often would hire a local Architect Engineer firm to set the plans, the new building must comply with the ADA. Dont blame the USPS for trying to accomodate YOU the customer.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

When there is need for a full service post office, here in LaBelle we use the Fruitland Park Post Office. At one time there was a push to get another post office or two within The Villages, but there was no money for such and today the USPS is for all practical purposes bankrupt. Yet they built a new sub-station for the Lady Lake USPS. Good for those in that area of The Villages.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:40 PM

You can see the new Post Office if you're standing at the old Post Office. The people who work in the Post Office say they tried to talk to The Villages because the entrance isn't big enough for their trucks to get through but The Villages didn't want to listen. Go figure.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:28 PM

50billion in the red
Old 11-28-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
Well, the new building is a substation of the lady lake post office. The P.O. very often would hire a local Architect Engineer firm to set the plans, the new building must comply with the ADA. Dont blame the USPS for trying to accomodate YOU the customer.
As far as I'm concerned, many of the customers have no been accommodated. As I said a cart path around the back would have made a lot of sense, not only for me but for about half of the people who have a box there.

Also, there are only twelve parking spaces. One is handicapped and one is taken by a USPS vehicle that seems to be there 24/7. This is going to be a problem during the holidays. I understood that the property that the old post office sits on was going to be a parking lot. But there is an impassable median strip between that property and the new parking lot.

My particular box is at the very top. I am six feet tall and have to stretch to see what's in the box. My wife is 5'2" and she'd need a step stool to get our mail.

I guess they got tired of emptying the junk mail from the trash because there are no trash receptacles.

IMHO, this could have been done a lot better.

Closed Thread

Tags
parking, line, room, post, spots

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.