New Publix

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2014, 02:35 PM

I think her drift was that "employee Owned: means that the employees are probabl on some type of profit sharing. A rarity in this day!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Regardless of what Public would build, posters on TOTV will find fault. They wanted another store now they got one.....................but
Right. As if we are all victims who aren't allowed to drive a car to other places here like Sam's Club, Aldi, Fresh Market, and the 6 other Publix and 3 Winn Dixie's in TV.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:24 PM

I am a big...huge Publix shopper for the last 40 yrs being originally from S. Fl. Went to the new one today, and just have to say I will be doing most of my shopping at Colony Publix. I am so very glad it is there so I can shop in peace at Colony. At the new Publix the obviously local Wildwoid families were there with little kids....mostly unsupervised running around. I had to maneuver my cart wheels around several. Don't get me wrong...I am a retired teacher, & I love children. I have five grandchildren of my own. I'm just glad I don't have to go grocery shopping with them. Lol! Also the parking there seems to be sorely inadequate to say the least. In addition...when I got home I see I forgot to get milk. Aha! I also needed allergy meds. So I went over to Colony Publix to get the things which I forgot. Aha...peaceful shopping experience.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
BUT... The one at Colony could fit into a shoebox compared to the others farther north. I was hoping for a bigger Publix than Colony. You know,

where two people with carts can actually navigate through the produce section while other shoppers are legitimately standing around

while making up their mind what they want.
The Publix just "NORTH" of The Hospital off US 441/27 should fit the criteria.
Never crowded, wide Aisles, friendly people shopping, nobody in a hurry.
The people working there really make it a pleasant place to shop.

Say Hello to Gary the General Mangler ( Oops, I meant Manager )

This WAS the Albertson's Supermarket back in the day.
Which makes the layout different than most Publix.

It is between Koyame Asian Fusion and Ollie's Frozen Custard.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

I have worked for publix for 9 years and it is indeed employee owned. Employees get 1 share of stock for x number of dollars earned. Even my part-time status (18 hours a week) I get stock and can purchase if i wish. When i started stock was $100.00 a share but split 5 for 1. Then dropped to $15 a share when they bought all the albertsons. Now $35 a share. Do the math. Good for retirement if you can handle 15 bucks an hour full time for most employees.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 PM

What is it about Publix that people like? I don't see much price difference from Winn Dixie and Winn Dixie has a better deli and more salads. Can someone set me straight?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

I like the new Publix, but only because it's close to my house. So far I'm not impressed with any of the grocery stores in Florida. The produce is awful and expensive compared to up north. Food prices here are outrageous. A pound of small shrimp $14, that's ridiculous. Sticker shock for me on many, many food items.

Are there any vegetable/meat markets in the area? I've been to the farmers markets in Brownwood and Marion County, but it's slim pickings. On top of that a head of broccoli was $3.50. Perhaps, I'm spoiled by the quality and abundance of fresh produce options we had up north.

Anyway, Tom & I always said when we retired we were giving up this vegetarian lifestyle. Bring on the cheeseburgers and fries. We're ready, but we would like to have a nice fruit, veggie, meat market close by too. One would have to be from up north to understand, I think.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenG View Post
What is it about Publix that people like? I don't see much price difference from Winn Dixie and Winn Dixie has a better deli and more salads. Can someone set me straight?
I agree. While I like Publix and like them nearby, I think it's over-rated and sometimes over-priced. I buy 50/50 between W-D and Publix.

Grocery shopping isn't something I like to think about more than 20 minutes a week! (And maybe that's part of never having a weight problem..)
Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 AM

We've shopped both Winn Dixie and Publix ... we think that Publix offers a few more products that we want to purchase (e.g., Taylor ham).

We do miss Wegmans from up north.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7 View Post
....We do miss Wegmans from up north.
Nothing down here compares to Wegman's!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,392 Posts

Things were always better back up North................don't you just get tired of hearing that?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattywampus View Post
The Publix just "NORTH" of The Hospital off US 441/27 should fit the criteria.
Never crowded, wide Aisles, friendly people shopping, nobody in a hurry.
The people working there really make it a pleasant place to shop.

Say Hello to Gary the General Mangler ( Oops, I meant Manager )

This WAS the Albertson's Supermarket back in the day.
Which makes the layout different than most Publix.

It is between Koyame Asian Fusion and Ollie's Frozen Custard.
Great! I used to love Albertson's. I will try this Publix out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

As a native Floridian (53 years out of 62) there is a huge difference between Winn Dixie and Publix. Customer Service and cleanliness are two of the biggest. Selection tends to be better at Publix (depending on store size). The Publix store brands are on a par with "name" brands and with W.D. that is not the case. Some folks say Publix is too expensive but if you shop wisely (take advantage of coupons and BOGO's) this is not true. Publix will honor rival's coupons and if something does not ring up correctly you get it for free. Here in Jax. (we close in TV next week), I have a WD across the street from my subdivision and a Publix a mile away. The only time I shop WD is to get fuel perks to match the 50 dollar Shell card I paid 40 bucks for at Publix (they run coupon deals for gas cards every other month).
Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenG View Post
People just have different opinions. Let it go.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Default Public Winn Dixie

I shop at the new Winn Dixie and am very happy there. The aisles are wide, the store is brightly lite and doesn't seem so jammed packed. I am conveniently located to both stores but will stick with Winn Dixie
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.