New refrigerator water hook up

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2022, 06:28 AM
Default New refrigerator water hook up

Getting new refrigerator from home depot, they will not hook up the water to the fridge, due to the Villages style water hook up, they say I have to do it myself. So does anyone have instruction on how I do that?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2022, 08:40 AM

I remember just unscrewing it at the old refrigerator and reconnecting to the new one using the existing feed line.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYUIoS7ksc

Delivery personnel will hook up the water line for your refrigerator if you have installed a Sharkbite fitting versus a push/pull valve. A neighborhood handyman can do this for you.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:19 AM

Another vote to have a capable handyman to replace the valve. There are previous threads that have covered this if you use the search function,

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,689 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Getting new refrigerator from home depot, they will not hook up the water to the fridge, due to the Villages style water hook up, they say I have to do it myself. So does anyone have instruction on how I do that?

Thanks
I would suggest that you download the installation instructions for the model refrigerator you are buying and see if you can reuse the existing plastic feed. If so, you can probably do it yourself. Also, there is probably a Youtube video.

If you want to replace the shutoff valve at the wall, you could hire a handyman or plumber to do that before the refrigerator is delivered. Then, I would ask Home Depot to connect the new refrigerator.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

We just bought a new refrigerator from Home Depot and don't want anything to do with an ice maker even though the water line is there.
All the trouble I hear my neighbors complain about the freezing up and have to wait for parts plus an expensive service call.

If I did invest in an ice maker, (which is never) I would buy the extended warranty on the refrigerator.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:28 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We just bought a new refrigerator from Home Depot and don't want anything to do with an ice maker even though the water line is there.
All the trouble I hear my neighbors complain about the freezing up and have to wait for parts plus an expensive service call.

If I did invest in an ice maker, (which is never) I would buy the extended warranty on the refrigerator.
I too have certainly "had it" with ice makers ! Every new refrigerator and brand I tell myself, THIS one will operate at least for a reasonable period of time. BUT... may I ask, do you make as much ice as it takes living in a warm climate, or did you just consign yourself that it's less expensive (and less aggravating) to just make purchasing ice a basic of each week's grocery shopping ? Right now that's what we are back to while we (again) wait to have a new (and rather expensive) ice maker installed !
Old 12-10-2022, 12:29 AM
Platinum member

Best Buy delivers and installs refrigerator plus hooks up the water line.
It’s ridiculous Lowe’s & Home Depot don’t do it.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Lowe’s hooked ours up but it simple to do.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Same issue for me when I recently purchased from H.D. No worries. The delivery and setup were completed by the 2 workers. They had no problem screwing on the new water line. If they refuse you can do it before they push your new frig back into place. Same as attaching your outside garden hose. H.D. makes a big deal out of nothing. If you have a current leak behind the old frig, disregard the above statements.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Check YouTube for instruction.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
It’s ridiculous Lowe’s & Home Depot don’t do it.
I recently bought a fridge from Lowes and they hooked it up for me.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:42 AM
Default Don't turn off the push pull valve!

Quote:

Thanks
I had a new refrigerator installed 2 years ago along with new countertops. They turned off the water at the device. Sinks, refrigerator, dishwasher. Half the push pulls leaked after that. They had to be replaced with shark bites. Turn the water off at the main in your garage, drain the lines, unscrew the line, put the line back on the refrigerator, turn the water back on, check for leaks.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

Offer the guy some money, to hook it up, when he brings the fridge.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,180 Times in 761 Posts

Neighbor got a new fridge from Lowe's, ice maker didn't work, they sent a repair person out, still didn't work after he was gone, it took 5 more different people to come out and fix the thing. Lowe's chooses the worst people to do their contract work....
Closed Thread

Tags
water, hook, refrigerator, instruction, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.