New Roofs

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Default New Roofs

I have noticed that many of my neighbors, just south of Lake Sumter, are receiving new roofs from their insurance companies. I was approached by a roofer wanting to file a claim for me for the dammange of "past" storms. He claimed he could get my deductible, as well. He indicated that he has a lawyer, out of Tampa, who handles the claim application on my behalf. My roof is 14 years old. they picked at the edges of the tabs to see if they were loose and take lots of pictures. I could see no obvious signs of damage. I can't imagine any adjuster paying a claim. Seems like insurance fraud to me.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:55 PM

A Villages insurance agent told me the game is, you sign over you claim to the contractor, the insurance company may or may not allow. If they don't allow, the roofer has a lawyer who then sues. If he wins anything, the roof gets done and the lawyer gets the damages, up to 10 times the claim. It's a quirk in the law here in Florida. In the same conversation, the agent said that no one will insure a roof above 15 years and at the time of the discussion (late Feb) one company, Coastal as I recall, just changed to 5 years on roofs.

DISCLAIMER - I did not research this, nor think too much about it, I am recalling and recounting as best I can. With the additional time available, perhaps someone else can look it.

FWIW
Old 04-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,614 Times in 5,196 Posts

There are several other threads on this topic. If you think you may have a valid claim for a damaged roof, call your insurance company and let them decide if you actually are entitled to compensation. But, under no circumstances, should you sign an "assignment of benefits" form presented to you by a roofer. This is a scam where the roofer takes control of the claim and the roofing project. The roofer can then replace or repair your roof, and you will lose control of the entire claim and any work done on your house. The roofer will have control of the quality and scheduling of the project. Not a good idea for you.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

As noted above, NEVER sign an "assignment of benefits" form, once you do you have lost ALL control of your project.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:09 PM
Gold member

I am no roof expert but; around 20 homes around me have had their roofs inspected and “insurance replaced.” Now the process is the roof gets inspected, if damage is substantial you contact your insurance company to get a claim started. The insurance company then send their own inspector to confirm or deny the damage. The insurance company then has their adjuster review the report with photos then approves or denies the claim. Finally with most of my neighbors going through this process my wife suggested since our roof is 17 years old we should at least participate in the process in case we have a legitimate claim. We did and it has been approved. With this 3 step process I am comfortable it’s legitimate.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
I am no roof expert but; around 20 homes around me have had their roofs inspected and “insurance replaced.” Now the process is the roof gets inspected, if damage is substantial you contact your insurance company to get a claim started. The insurance company then send their own inspector to confirm or deny the damage. The insurance company then has their adjuster review the report with photos then approves or denies the claim. Finally with most of my neighbors going through this process my wife suggested since our roof is 17 years old we should at least participate in the process in case we have a legitimate claim. We did and it has been approved. With this 3 step process I am comfortable it’s legitimate.
Can you tell us what storm it was that caused your damage?
Old 04-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Gold member

Extremely heavy winds 50-60 mph reported 2/6/20
Old 04-03-2020, 10:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Extremely heavy winds 50-60 mph reported 2/6/20
That would be nice breezy day in okie land.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:45 AM

Scam or not, north of 466 they are replacing roofs like crazy, and it has been going on for several months. They seem to be targeting the old flat shingle type, roofs that are 15/16 years old. Skylight roofing is doing most of the roofs in my Village.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 AM

very true
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 AM

I saw a roof inspector from one of these company's go on my neighbors roof and actually break the tab and peel back the shingles.That did not look right to me. So I called my insurance company. They would send someone out to inspect my roof but the claim would remain on my record whether or not damage was found beyond 25%. If damage was found and I had my roof replaced my insurance rate would be increased.I feel that insurance company's will raise rates across the board for ALL of us because of this scam!

If you have your roof inspected by one of these roofing company's watch and record what they are doing to your roof.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:18 AM

I am currently a regional insurance claim manager and live in TV. If you think you might have a claim, call your insurer. DO NOT LET ANYONE SOLICITING DOOR TO DOOR onto your roof. We have had 4 claims for damage to roofs in TV. We were skeptical and retained an engineer to inspect the damages. Two reports are not completed. One found no wind/hail related damage. One said there was damage, however it was described as "mechanical" damage. "Mechanical" damage means the damage may have been caused by foot traffic or in some cases, intentional. Contact The Villages Community Watch 750-0550 to determine what company has complaints filed. I know Sumter County Sheriff had a investigation going because I was interviewed by a detective. The sheriff has referred their findings to either the State's Attorney's office or the Attorney General's office. One of my friends was approached. Their insurer and another roofer inspected their roof and did find damage. Beware, however!!!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,614 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarti1973 View Post
I am currently a regional insurance claim manager and live in TV. If you think you might have a claim, call your insurer. DO NOT LET ANYONE SOLICITING DOOR TO DOOR onto your roof. We have had 4 claims for damage to roofs in TV. We were skeptical and retained an engineer to inspect the damages. Two reports are not completed. One found no wind/hail related damage. One said there was damage, however it was described as "mechanical" damage. "Mechanical" damage means the damage may have been caused by foot traffic or in some cases, intentional. Contact The Villages Community Watch 750-0550 to determine what company has complaints filed. I know Sumter County Sheriff had a investigation going because I was interviewed by a detective. The sheriff has referred their findings to either the State's Attorney's office or the Attorney General's office. One of my friends was approached. Their insurer and another roofer inspected their roof and did find damage. Beware, however!!!
I am curious as to why insurance companies don't warn their customers about the pitfalls of signing an "assignment of benefits" agreement that roofers present to the customers? It seems like the right thing for insurance companies to do. Do they not have any influence or control over these contractual agreements?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
My friend is in this business and it is legit as you said. If anyone wants her info, message me.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:10 AM
Gold member

All original roofs, in The Villages, North of 466 are between 17 and 20 years old. Insurance companies, like American Integrity, are refusing to renew or write new homeowners policies unless the roofs are replaced. We have had 2 major wind events in the last year, one last August and then again in early February of this year. Many roofs show damage from those events and may be eligible for an insurance claim.

We did file a claim and, right now, are waiting for the decision from the adjuster who came out and inspected the roof. It's not a given that they will replace the entire roof. In some cases they might only be willing to repair the obvious damage. It's kind of a crap shoot. We are working with a roofer, who was present when the inspection was made and was able to point out the issues he had observed.

If all goes well, and the need for replacement is confirmed, we'll just be responsible for our $1000 deductible. If not, it's a 15k to 20k job.

The bottom line is, everybody whose home was built North of 466, and still has the original roof, will need to replace it in the next 3 years or so. Start budgeting accordingly.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

Tags
claim, insurance, roofs, tabs, behalf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.