New Roofs

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 08:27 AM

We have had over 90 homes in our villa community replaced using this process. Including mine. No roofing company was involved. I called my insurance company, filed a claim, they sent out an adjuster, he approved a new roof, company sent me a check, I chose my own roofer, and had the work done. I controlled the entire process.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:36 AM

My rate just went up more than 20% without ever having filed a claim and I am having trouble getting quotes from other companies because my roof is 13 years old because so many roofs are being replaced through insurance claims!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Default New Roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
A Villages insurance agent told me the game is, you sign over you claim to the contractor, the insurance company may or may not allow. If they don't allow, the roofer has a lawyer who then sues. If he wins anything, the roof gets done and the lawyer gets the damages, up to 10 times the claim. It's a quirk in the law here in Florida. In the same conversation, the agent said that no one will insure a roof above 15 years and at the time of the discussion (late Feb) one company, Coastal as I recall, just changed to 5 years on roofs.

DISCLAIMER - I did not research this, nor think too much about it, I am recalling and recounting as best I can. With the additional time available, perhaps someone else can look it.

FWIW
..........and there you have it: Money, it it goes to court, a $15,000 roof turns into a $150,000 roof plus the cost of defending yourself in the courtroom, if the insurance company loses the case . Many judges are influenced by the "optics". It is the consumer against the big insurance company with deep pockets. Who's it going to hurt?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:54 AM
Default Re-roofing and lightning protections systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have noticed that many of my neighbors, just south of Lake Sumter, are receiving new roofs from their insurance companies. I was approached by a roofer wanting to file a claim for me for the dammange of "past" storms. He claimed he could get my deductible, as well. He indicated that he has a lawyer, out of Tampa, who handles the claim application on my behalf. My roof is 14 years old. they picked at the edges of the tabs to see if they were loose and take lots of pictures. I could see no obvious signs of damage. I can't imagine any adjuster paying a claim. Seems like insurance fraud to me.
If you are replacing your roof AND have a lightning protection system (LPS) commonly called lightning rods you should have the system removed by a UL listed LPS installer who is a Master Installer according to Lightning Protection Institute criteria. At the completion of the re-roofing the LPS installer should re-install the LPS.

You should also be aware that door-to-door installers of LPS may not have installed your system according to NFPA-780, The National Standard on Lightning Protection Systems. If that is the case you should be prepared to pay the cost to bring the system up to the above national standard.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan
Default No Integerity with American Integerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
All original roofs, in The Villages, North of 466 are between 17 and 20 years old. Insurance companies, like American Integrity, are refusing to renew or write new homeowners policies unless the roofs are replaced. We have had 2 major wind events in the last year, one last August and then again in early February of this year. Many roofs show damage from those events and may be eligible for an insurance claim.

We did file a claim and, right now, are waiting for the decision from the adjuster who came out and inspected the roof. It's not a given that they will replace the entire roof. In some cases they might only be willing to repair the obvious damage. It's kind of a crap shoot. We are working with a roofer, who was present when the inspection was made and was able to point out the issues he had observed.

If all goes well, and the need for replacement is confirmed, we'll just be responsible for our $1000 deductible. If not, it's a 15k to 20k job.

The bottom line is, everybody whose home was built North of 466, and still has the original roof, will need to replace it in the next 3 years or so. Start budgeting accordingly.
Good luck, but we went this, American Integerity as of Jan. 2019 added a exclusion for roofs that in short only covers shingles that were damaged. The problem is on older roofs the shingles aren’t pliable so when repairing the wind damaged shingles nearby older shingles break and those aren’t covered by American Integerity ( one of the ONLY Insurance Companies that have this exclusions ).

I was forced to choose American Integerity because they were the only company that would insure a home with a roof over 15 years old. I was prepared and going to replace my roof this year (19 years old), but there was some wind damage so we filed a claim. Not insurance fraud real damage, our claim was approved but for replacement of the shingles that were damaged not including additional shingles that would break.

So I replaced my roof, canceled American Integerity and got an insurance company with Integerity.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

With this near fraud, [and you know it is] surely the carriers are going to figure it out and change the language of the policies. Maybe they need to do it now. So that instead of getting a new roof you will get the depreciated value. If a roof has a 20 year life and it is 15 years old when a wind damages it, you get covered for 1/4 of the cost as you have used 3/4 of its lifespan. It is the same process as if you total your car. You don't get paid for a new car to replace your 15 year old car. Everyone would be crashing their car if this were the case. Now everyone is "crashing" their roof and we will all pay in higher premiums.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM
Default Atlas Chalet shingles defective

Starting around 2000-2007 many homes were roofed using Atlas Chalet shingles.
They were found to be defective and there was a class action suit. The manufacturer was ordered to pay out boatloads of money to repair/replace the shingles. Many homeowner were not aware so they did not file a claim. Insurance companies have been replacing these roofs all over the country. Perhaps these people having theirs replaced fall into that category. They will leak over time, they crack easily and the tar around the nails bubbles and pops leaving the home vulnerable to leaks and mold. Insurance. Companies would rather replace a roof than deal with internal water damage and mold which could be more expensive.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Read Fla. Statute 627.7152
Old 04-04-2020, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post

If all goes well, and the need for replacement is confirmed, we'll just be responsible for our $1000 deductible. If not, it's a 15k to 20k job.
If they’re charging $15-$20k you should look for a new contractor. Assuming they are replacing your roof with a laminate shingle.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have noticed that many of my neighbors, just south of Lake Sumter, are receiving new roofs from their insurance companies. I was approached by a roofer wanting to file a claim for me for the dammange of "past" storms. He claimed he could get my deductible, as well. He indicated that he has a lawyer, out of Tampa, who handles the claim application on my behalf. My roof is 14 years old. they picked at the edges of the tabs to see if they were loose and take lots of pictures. I could see no obvious signs of damage. I can't imagine any adjuster paying a claim. Seems like insurance fraud to me.
Careful, in many states it’s against the law for a contractor to “get your deductible” back. Obviously it’s insurance fraud if they/you inflate the claim to cover your deductible. I would encourage you to find a local reputable contractor. They can do a legitimate inspection of you roof and give you advise on whether to submit a claim or not. If you don’t know of a good local contractor ask your insurance agent.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
I think since we’re going through bad times I would be talking to a lawyer, contractor or someone else besides this roofer. We’re going through hard times right now, personally I would wait until the country got back on their feet. Lots of scammers out there, just wouldn’t want to see some crook taking advantage of our senior citizens. Be cautious & check this out with your lawyer or a professional you can trust. I just can’t believe that many people would need new roofs put on all at the same time. Just sounds a little fishy to me!
Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
A Villages insurance agent told me the game is, you sign over you claim to the contractor, the insurance company may or may not allow. If they don't allow, the roofer has a lawyer who then sues. If he wins anything, the roof gets done and the lawyer gets the damages, up to 10 times the claim. It's a quirk in the law here in Florida.

FWIW
Hmm. Should attorneys take a tougher oath: "First, do no harm."? Has worked reasonably well for physicians.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
Old 04-04-2020, 10:28 AM

Have a reputable roofer examine your roof. He will tell you if there is sufficient damage to file an insurance claim. Last spring I had a person come to my door and told me a similar story. I called the a local roofer and asked him to examine my roof, which he did and said there was sufficient wind damage to file a claim. I did file the claim, and the roofer and my insurance company worked together to agree to terms. I did pay my deductible which was small compared to the cost of my new roof. My roof was 19 years old at the time. The entire roof was brought up to current code and architectural shingles and more extensive venting installed.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Most of these claims are due to a hail storm that came through in the past year. You likely wouldn't notice - but if the shingle is damaged over time a) granules will dislodge, b) the UV sun will destroy the asphalt underneath and c) the roof will leak. Surprisingly, 20% of all new roofs in the United States are replaced by insurance due to hail damage. This is especially true in states like Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. Hope that helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
claim, insurance, roofs, tabs, behalf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.