New Roofs

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
if you have integrity nothing else matters....if you don't have integrity, nothing else matters

Best saying that I've seen in awhile! Thank you.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Hmm. Should attorneys take a tougher oath: "First, do no harm."? Has worked reasonably well for physicians.
How long before we see the billboards.....Dan got my 22 year old "20 YEAR" roof replaced for free. Told them it was storm damage..... Thank you Dan...... screw my neighbors insurance premiums!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Default Act of God

I think that, by law, insurance rates cannot be raised because of an "act of God" which would be the case in an insurance claim for a roof damaged by wind, hail, etc.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,613 Times in 5,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie peikin View Post
I think that, by law, insurance rates cannot be raised because of an "act of God" which would be the case in an insurance claim for a roof damaged by wind, hail, etc.
Huh? Almost all homeowner claims are for acts of God. Why do you think insurance on beachfront property and in flood zones is so expensive? Hurricanes and floods.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It just has to be approved by the state insurance commissioner. Their a wreck. That’s why there are so few large companies willing to write policies down there. Bet you had a different company in your home state than you have now. I know I do.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:49 PM

Sounds fishy to me.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM

I got a notice from Progressive insurance about this a few months ago. They said never to assign your benefits to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I am curious as to why insurance companies don't warn their customers about the pitfalls of signing an "assignment of benefits" agreement that roofers present to the customers? It seems like the right thing for insurance companies to do. Do they not have any influence or control over these contractual agreements?
Old 04-04-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have noticed that many of my neighbors, just south of Lake Sumter, are receiving new roofs from their insurance companies. I was approached by a roofer wanting to file a claim for me for the dammange of "past" storms. He claimed he could get my deductible, as well. He indicated that he has a lawyer, out of Tampa, who handles the claim application on my behalf. My roof is 14 years old. they picked at the edges of the tabs to see if they were loose and take lots of pictures. I could see no obvious signs of damage. I can't imagine any adjuster paying a claim. Seems like insurance fraud to me.
Yes, it is, in a way. By giving them that opportunity, you will be required to sign a piece of paper, which really is "assignment of benefits", which actually means they own your roof, which means they own your house. We lost a house that we wanted to buy because of this (and the owner didn't disclose it!). The insurance company denied the claim, so the owner was pretty much stuck..didn't want to pay for replacing the roof, but now it was "reported", so we couldn't get insurance or our mortgage!! Thank GOODNESS our insurance broker did the due diligence well. We found this out about a week before we closed, and AFTER we had had the home inspection! It was a mess. By pass that "help" and contact your insurance agent yourself, if you think you need to have it checked out. I'm happy to say, that we did find a wonderful home, in a lovely neighborhood, with awesome neighbors! ....good things come to he who waits!!!
Old 04-04-2020, 04:28 PM

I did the same , per recommendation from a friend , as I saw lots of roofs going up around me👍.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 PM

Dont ruin it. Saved a lot of us Thousands of dollars. The insurance companies have to pay claims otherwise they've got to reduce the rates
Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Veteran member
Default roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have noticed that many of my neighbors, just south of Lake Sumter, are receiving new roofs from their insurance companies. I was approached by a roofer wanting to file a claim for me for the dammange of "past" storms. He claimed he could get my deductible, as well. He indicated that he has a lawyer, out of Tampa, who handles the claim application on my behalf. My roof is 14 years old. they picked at the edges of the tabs to see if they were loose and take lots of pictures. I could see no obvious signs of damage. I can't imagine any adjuster paying a claim. Seems like insurance fraud to me.
It is fraud and the insurance companies are in Tallahassee trying to get something done about it. Don't know if they can... My agent explained this to me after I questioned why my insurance rates went up over 30% in 2 years. We are paying for all these new roofs.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Default roof deductable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
All original roofs, in The Villages, North of 466 are between 17 and 20 years old. Insurance companies, like American Integrity, are refusing to renew or write new homeowners policies unless the roofs are replaced. We have had 2 major wind events in the last year, one last August and then again in early February of this year. Many roofs show damage from those events and may be eligible for an insurance claim.

We did file a claim and, right now, are waiting for the decision from the adjuster who came out and inspected the roof. It's not a given that they will replace the entire roof. In some cases they might only be willing to repair the obvious damage. It's kind of a crap shoot. We are working with a roofer, who was present when the inspection was made and was able to point out the issues he had observed.

If all goes well, and the need for replacement is confirmed, we'll just be responsible for our $1000 deductible. If not, it's a 15k to 20k job.

The bottom line is, everybody whose home was built North of 466, and still has the original roof, will need to replace it in the next 3 years or so. Start budgeting accordingly.
I have AI insurance and I had to pay a $4,500 deductible.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12755 View Post
Dont ruin it. Saved a lot of us Thousands of dollars. The insurance companies have to pay claims otherwise they've got to reduce the rates
Did you read post #28?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
your reference is to the rate for an individual that has made a recent claim. Does not refer to the cumulative effect of hundreds or thousands of fraudulent
claims and the overall experience of that class of insureds.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I have AI insurance and I had to pay a $4,500 deductible.
Your level of deductible was your choice when you purchased your homeowners policy. It might be that high in an effort to keep your premiums lower

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

Tags
claim, insurance, roofs, tabs, behalf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.