New Roofs

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 08:31 AM

I live in the Village of Pine Ridge adjacent to Drake and Moyer Loop. I had my roof replaced in 2/20. The replacement was not due to any weather related damage, but the roof underlayment product liquified. This caused both a dark and white residue to accumulate in the valleys of my roof. After going through a six month process it was replaced free of charge to me. There are several in my neighborhood who have or are currently having their roof replaced in the same manner. I should mention that in our cases neither lawyers, insurance companies or sidewalk solicitors were involved.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:03 PM

I bought a villa in October 2019. In January 2020 I received a letter from American Integrity saying (non-renewal) for October 2020. When I contacted my agent he sent me an inspection report with pics, that I didn't know existed. It indicated missing shingles and curling. I was shocked! Then the agent told me to send a letter to American Integrity that I would change to ACV versus Replacement cost. I said a big NO.
I put my ladder up and went around the villa with a camera and there are NOT any missing shingles and 99 % of the roof has NO curling.
In late Septemeber I am going to challenge the insurance companies inspection and suggest I may need a lawyer. Anyone have any other ideas.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarti1973 View Post
I am currently a regional insurance claim manager and live in TV. If you think you might have a claim, call your insurer. DO NOT LET ANYONE SOLICITING DOOR TO DOOR onto your roof. We have had 4 claims for damage to roofs in TV. We were skeptical and retained an engineer to inspect the damages. Two reports are not completed. One found no wind/hail related damage. One said there was damage, however it was described as "mechanical" damage. "Mechanical" damage means the damage may have been caused by foot traffic or in some cases, intentional. Contact The Villages Community Watch 750-0550 to determine what company has complaints filed. I know Sumter County Sheriff had a investigation going because I was interviewed by a detective. The sheriff has referred their findings to either the State's Attorney's office or the Attorney General's office. One of my friends was approached. Their insurer and another roofer inspected their roof and did find damage. Beware, however!!!
I had this happen in Ohio just 4 years ago. The company that was going door to door after a storm said there was wind damage, they brought our insurance company in and they refused to allow the repair stating there was no damage, less than 2 weeks later we had a rain storm and water came through the roof damaging the ceilings, walls, murals, paint, clothing in the closets, carpet, etc. I then filed a claim with the insurance company and it ended up costing them nearly twice what it would have had the agreed to the repair in the first place. This same door to door company went to my son's home and got him a new roof, while they were there they noticed hail damage on his aluminum siding and gutters, since they no longer made the aluminum siding, these guys got his house completely re-sided with with vinyl siding along with new gutters and down spouts. I would not hesitate in using them again.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianherlihy View Post
I bought a villa in October 2019. In January 2020 I received a letter from American Integrity saying (non-renewal) for October 2020. When I contacted my agent he sent me an inspection report with pics, that I didn't know existed. It indicated missing shingles and curling. I was shocked! Then the agent told me to send a letter to American Integrity that I would change to ACV versus Replacement cost. I said a big NO.
I put my ladder up and went around the villa with a camera and there are NOT any missing shingles and 99 % of the roof has NO curling.
In late Septemeber I am going to challenge the insurance companies inspection and suggest I may need a lawyer. Anyone have any other ideas.
How old is the roof? If it is more than 15 years old, why wouldn't you want an actual cash value insurance policy for the roof? Do you think the insurance company would owe you a new roof even though the roof is already almost past it's normal life span? I really don't think a lawyer will help because the insurance company has no legal obligation to renew your policy. Often, insurance companies do not want to insure a house with an old roof because, when high winds damage the roof, there is also damage to the interior of the house, which they are required to pay for. You may want to consider replacing the roof yourself, which will give you more insurance options at a lower cost.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:02 AM

The villa is 15 years old, however according to Owens Corning warranty the shingles have a 25 year warranty (within 2 owners) and I am the third.
American Integrity insured me for a year, so I am going to wait it out. I am not looking for them to give me a new roof.
The point is that the inspection was a joke, no curling or missing tiles. I guess they do what they need, to rip me off!
I will probably go with ACV when the first year ends because I am not going to replace a roof that is fine. I have had the company for six years and never made a claim.
Thanks for your input.
Closed Thread

Tags
claim, insurance, roofs, tabs, behalf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.