New Roundabout Signs

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Gold member
Talking Problem solved

Instead of Roundabouts, use a cart on cart paths!! Still can reach anywhere!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
In all modesty I consider myself somewhat of a roundabout connoisseur having endured one of the most diabolical roundabouts ever invented.
This monster kept me up at night. Ladies and gentlemen, behold,
the mother of all roundabouts!
.........gotta do a little braggin' here.....

We went thru "THAT" roundabout just fine.
No problems whatsoever......

Thank God we were IN A CAB.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
.........gotta do a little braggin' here.....

We went thru "THAT" roundabout just fine.
No problems whatsoever......

Thank God we were IN A CAB.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Confusing Roundabouts!

The two-lane roundabouts are confusing, because everyone uses them differently and feels strongly they are correct and can justify their actions. That, sadly, will never change no matter how many signs they post. It should be changed it to one lane, thus saving confusion over the 'proper' way to do it. In a community of aging folks, simpler is always better.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
The two-lane roundabouts are confusing, because everyone uses them differently and feels strongly they are correct and can justify their actions. That, sadly, will never change no matter how many signs they post. It should be changed it to one lane, thus saving confusion over the 'proper' way to do it. In a community of aging folks, simpler is always better.
They really aren't confusing. The large majority use them properly (following the pamphlet provided to new homeowners) and there are relatively few incidents. People sometimes make it out to be worse than it really is because they are "new" to the concept and a lot of people have a fear of the unknown. Once they get used to them they see it really isn't a big deal.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

(They Really are Confusing and Dangerous)
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
People sometimes make it out to be worse than it really is because they are "new" to the concept and a lot of people have a fear of the unknown. Once they get used to them they see it really isn't a big deal.
Cappyjon, it really is a big deal if you're driving correctly and get T-boned by someone who misunderstands the "new" concept. From the amount of inconsistencies posted on this thread, the only thing that is clear, is that there is a lot of confusion. Until the day that all drivers are on the "same page", IMHO, one-lane roundabouts would be safer. That won't happen tho, it would cause traffic to move too slowly.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Cappyjon, it really is a big deal if you're driving correctly and get T-boned by someone who misunderstands the "new" concept. From the amount of inconsistencies posted on this thread, the only thing that is clear, is that there is a lot of confusion. Until the day that all drivers are on the "same page", IMHO, one-lane roundabouts would be safer. That won't happen tho, it would cause traffic to move too slowly.
Sorry Barefoot, but i respectfully disagree. Everytime someone posts about roundabouts we get threads that run 100-200 posts and it resolves nothing. We have two lane roundabouts and that will NOT change. That being the case, I suggest that everyone learn to use them properly OR avoid them by finding another route. I drive through the roundabouts on Buena Vista 5-6 times a day and have for the last six months without even coming close to an incident. Of course I am careful and try to anticipate someone pulling a boneheaded stunt, but for the most part my experience has been worry free. With all the tens of thousands of cars that travel on both Morse and Buena Vista daily, I have seen very few accidents. I have yet to have anyone provide any factual data showing that the roundabouts are any more dangerous (higher incidence of accidents) than any other type of intersection in TV. Personally, I find the parking lots (especially at Publix) to be much more dangerous, but nobody is suggesting to get rid of parking lots.

Lots of studies (and they have been posted on other roundabout threads ad nauseum) show that roundabouts move traffic better, are better for the environment, and are actually safer. What we have on these threads is a lot of anecdotal reports from a segment of TOTV members recounting their "near misses."

Perhaps I am lucky because I grew up with a roundabout two blocks away from my childhood home in south Florida. I had to negotiate that (two lane) roundabout when I first learned to drive and never forgot how to use them. I have lived overseas for long periods of time and roundabouts are widely used without incident. I understand that roundabouts are a new experience to many who move to TV and that most have an ingrained fear of doing/trying anything new, BUT I refuse to "sell short" the seniors that live here by falling back on the tired old cliche that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. People can learn to safely use the roundabouts. If not, it is a good thing that they have moved to a golf cart community and they can use there carts.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Platinum member

I had to go to Leesburg, Virginia via Route 15 yesterday and boom there were two roundabouts at Gilbert's Corner. That is the intersection of Route 50 and 15. My first experiences with the roundabouts in TV were not smooth so I paid plenty of attention to the threads on TOTV about them. Thanks to that my experience with the Gilbert's Corner roundabouts in heavy traffic went very well. Thanks for all the positive input and "training". Yes, yield to traffic that is already in the roundabout. I feel prepared for my next trip to TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.