New sink hole thread

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Platinum member
Default New sink hole thread

During the inspection last week, I was told the house was ok. Today, I am told that the insurance company has denied the coverage for sink hole loss. It is a 17 year old home with no cracks.

I am going with the catastrophic coverage. From what I understand, it does not cover cracks, but if the whole house sinks, it is covered.

The agent said that is happening more often-that sink hole coverage is being denied.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Sage

Good grief! I talked to someone whose lanai separated from the house and it would have cost over $100K to repair if they hadn't had sinkhole insurance.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think some insurance coverage in Florida is cyclical. We closed on our first home here in June and we were told that we might not be able to get Hurricane coverage because of the time of year. But we did.

As far as I know all of the houses in TV are above ground and not sinking. I haven't heard otherwise on this forum and we have some really good posters with a nose for bad news. If we had sinkers the stinkers on TOTV would let us know.

Larry Wilson said something about air conditioners and sinkholes but that had to do with another issue entirely that Handieman was instrumental in fixing. I think it was how the lines were not encased properly.

The fact is that all of us here have a stake in seeing that things are done well and we are watching out for each other.

This forum with it's new moderators is such a help to all of us.

Thank you Admin and all.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 PM

We recently moved from a neighborhood, that shall remain nameless, where almost all the courtyard villas had "unstable ground" underneath them. The scuttlebut was an engineering company would come in and report "hydra movement 80' down as a result Villa owners were cut huge checks (50K-60K) from their respective insurance companies to stabilize their homes. The foundation stabilization companies would then come in and charge the homeowner 30k-40k to "stabilize" the home and the homeowner would then pocket the difference. We have since moved from that neighborhood, not because of sinkhole danger but for other reasons not related. The rumor was it was just a big scam perpetuated by the engineering & foundation firms, and the owners unwittingly and faceless insurance companies went along with it, albiet, pocketing several thousand dollars and invaribly driving up the price of sinkhole insurance coverage. I know sinkholes are a very real threat in Florida, but in my humble opinion I don't think finding water movement 80' beneath the ground level warrants the measures the homeowners and insurance companies took.
DG
P.S. I found it it odd that the villa wall only 10' away from the home and the road that leads to these villa didn't need stabilization as well. Or any other properties adjacent to said villas. Just sayin'

Last edited by DGx2; 12-12-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: another type-o
Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Gold member
Default It has happened

Gracie,

Our Friend Jim knows of two couples who's home are setteling and cracking as we speak.

In TV
Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Gracie,

Our Friend Jim knows of two couples who's home are setteling and cracking as we speak.

In TV
Jim who?

All homes settle and crack.

Are you sure it is sinkholes???

If it is, go ahead and worry. We had cracks in walls and stuff back home in Ohio where there were no sinkholes and no Morses either.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Gold member
Default JS

On line as Jim Straz

It is more than a simple minor crack from what I hear. Companies came in used Ultra Sound and ground Sonar and found not a single large hole under neath but a series of smaller caves or honey combs.

That is the easier of the two to fix.

If you do not have sink hole settlement minor insurance get it. The chance of a major hole is slim. That is why they write that.

The minor is more dangerous as your home settles and the problems with cracked tile, windows not opening doors not closing etc starts.

As I was told one person had it happen and upon inspection it has transfered to the neighbors home.

NOT GOOD!

We were not informed of this before we bought or built . I still am waiting for my lot inspection which will be soon and cost an initial $70.00

I would have perfered to pay for the lot inspection first then buy. This is like just wait till you father comes home! If you remember them days!

Herv
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
On line as Jim Straz

It is more than a simple minor crack from what I hear. Companies came in used Ultra Sound and ground Sonar and found not a single large hole under neath but a series of smaller caves or honey combs.

If you do not have sink hole settlement minor insurance get it. The chance of a major hole is slim. That is why they write that.

The minor is more dangerous as your home settles and the problems with cracked tile, windows not opening doors not closing etc starts.

As I was told one person had it happen and upon inspection it has transfered to the neighbors home.

NOT GOOD!

We were not informed of this before we bought or built . I still am waiting for my lot inspection which will be soon and cost an initial $70.00

I would have perfered to pay for the lot inspection first then buy. This is like just wait till you father comes home! If you remember them days!

Herv
This is Florida. The place is made of sand. I think that it is not a big problem. But....I am so tired of saying the sky isn't falling on here.

Most of these "problems" turn out to be rumors.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Eternal Member

We have at least two sinkhole problems that I know of in the Marion county area of TV.

This is not the sky falling but a definite concern.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Sage

You zcaveman are someone who can be counted on.
Tell us more about the problems and what is being done and if anything can be known before a home is built.

I am sorry to hear this and feel bad that I didn't take it seriously.

Does anyone else know of a sinkhole problem anywhere else in The Villages?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Gold member
Default The Sky

Agree with you. The Sky is not falling. Gound may be sinking but the Sky is still good.

It sounds tonight like we may be more in danger in the Roundabouts our Cart trails.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Agree with you. The Sky is not falling. Gound may be sinking but the Sky is still good.

It sounds tonight like we may be more in danger in the Roundabouts our Cart trails.
Go ahead and worry Car.
I am sorry to have misled you.
Maybe we will be luckier in Sumter County.
Remember there is no pee in Lake Sumter.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
.............Remember there is no pee in Lake Sumter.
Just wait til I get down there...............

Oh - I'm sorry! You were talking about the spelling! I'm so embarrassed......

Bill
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Gold member
Default Good news

Thank Goodness for that!

I may be more bored Gracie here typing than worried about sand. I will go to my room and ground myself tonight,

It's all good. By the way we did NOT! have a option on sinkhole insurance and the additional cost. Agent said we are getting it.

We are newbies to Florida Regs and laws

My new neighbor friends have gone before me and paved the way.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
On line as Jim Straz

NOT GOOD!

Herv
Who did you have to do your lot inspection? And what insurance company are you using?

Thanks for info
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.