New Tesla supercharger station.

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2020, 03:05 PM
Default New Tesla supercharger station.

Looks like Tesla has started building a supercharger station at 116 N. Highway 27/441 right by the Wawa, will have 8 stalls, and it’s a version 3 station so up to 1000 miles per hour of charging rate. Great news for Tesla owners in the villages or those passing through on a road trip.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Any idea of cost and how long to charge your battery?
Old 08-23-2020, 03:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

For travel let’s yes but owners have one for their home.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Any idea of cost and how long to charge your battery?
Hard to know what the price will be but based on other station in Florida, probably in the low To mid 20 cent per KWh. A model 3 long range model has a 75 kWh battery, typically you would Run it down to about 10-20% and then charge to about 80-90%, as the Last 10% takes considerable longer.

Typically you would add 250 miles of range, that should take about 25 minutes. So figure 10-14 bucks for that kind of charge.

If you have a older Tesla (Older than 2017) you obviously still have free supercharging so it would cost nothing.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARO1 View Post
Hard to know what the price will be but based on other station in Florida, probably in the low To mid 20 cent per KWh. A model 3 long range model has a 75 kWh battery, typically you would Run it down to about 10-20% and then charge to about 80-90%, as the Last 10% takes considerable longer.

Typically you would add 250 miles of range, that should take about 25 minutes. So figure 10-14 bucks for that kind of charge.

If you have a older Tesla (Older than 2017) you obviously still have free supercharging so it would cost nothing.
So, if they only have 8 stalls and they are all occupied, I assume you could be waiting around for an hour or so? No thanks.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, if they only have 8 stalls and they are all occupied, I assume you could be waiting around for an hour or so? No thanks.
Thats the major limiting factor for an electric car especially if driving a long distance.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thats the major limiting factor for an electric car especially if driving a long distance.
That was one of my biggest worries before I bought one, it has become a non issue on road trips, I have never had to wait, in fact they are rarely at 50% capacity, once at 50% occupancy you get charged a per minute idling fee after a grace period of 5 min If you are occupying a stall and completed with charging. This ensures people don’t just walk off and use the charger as a parking spot.

Superchargers are really only for road trips or if you want a very fast charge.

Charging at home will obviously be much cheaper and the main place to charge if you own an electric car, I pay about $7 for a full 300 mile charge at home, you would need a gas car that does 85mpg to beat that...
Old 08-23-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARO1 View Post
That was one of my biggest worries before I bought one, it has become a non issue on road trips, I have never had to wait, in fact they are rarely at 50% capacity, once at 50% occupancy you get charged a per minute idling fee after a grace period of 5 min If you are occupying a stall and completed with charging. This ensures people don’t just walk off and use the charger as a parking spot.

Superchargers are really only for road trips or if you want a very fast charge.

Charging at home will obviously be much cheaper and the main place to charge if you own an electric car, I pay about $7 for a full 300 mile charge at home, you would need a gas car that does 85mpg to beat that...
Thanks for info. If traveling say 725 miles to see kids for example that means two stops for fueling. I like to keep moving when traveling a long distance so would not have patience to wait while charging. Would be better while staying here during pandemic and charging at home.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for info. If traveling say 725 miles to see kids for example that means two stops for fueling. I like to keep moving when traveling a long distance so would not have patience to wait while charging. Would be better while staying here during pandemic and charging at home.
Yes, You would be adding probably a total of 1.5 hours to you trip. now you could match one of the stop with maybe a stop for lunch and it would end up not being much of a difference.

If your curious you can try planing a trip here and see how much longer if will take and how long the stops are Go Anywhere | Tesla

But certainly the longer distance you travel on road trips the more extra time it would take, people who tend to take longer trips might want to consider keeping a gas car in the stable or maybe rent a car, with the saving in gas an practically zero maintenance it not too bad.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

My theory is that if they want electric cars to become the norm, they need to design them with standardized removable batteries and provide a service where you can pull into a station and they will exchange the batteries within about 5 minutes. Too many people are not willing to wait around while their car recharges. And, most people don't even have access to a charging station at home. I think that only about 4 percent of the cars on the road are electric. If they cannot reduce the charging time, the industry is doomed to failure.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
My theory is that if they want electric cars to become the norm, they need to design them with standardized removable batteries and provide a service where you can pull into a station and they will exchange the batteries within about 5 minutes. Too many people are not willing to wait around while their car recharges. And, most people don't even have access to a charging station at home. I think that only about 4 percent of the cars on the road are electric. If they cannot reduce the charging time, the industry is doomed to failure.
They keep reducing the charging time and lengthening how far you can go on a charge. When you factor in the cost of the electricity are you really doing anything for the environment?
Old 08-23-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
They keep reducing the charging time and lengthening how far you can go on a charge. When you factor in the cost of the electricity are you really doing anything for the environment?
Right now most studies point to all electric cars having about 50% less CO2 emission versus the average gas car, that is cradle to grave, using electricity created from the US average. It take on average 1.5 years for the electric car to make up for the more CO2 intensive manufacturing. It will be much faster in states like South Dakota or Iowa where hydro and other renewable energy sources are used and longer in states like Florida that rely more on natural gas, now if you have your own solar system that you charge from its obviously much cleaner that 50%
Old 08-23-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Tesla tried that, they developed a station that did it faster than a gas fill up. It never caught on because people never ended up needing a battery before they could use their home charger. Another issue is different cars need different size batteries.

Unless you drive more than 250 miles a day you really don’t need a fast charge or battery swap. You can get 22 miles per hour charging a model 3 tesla with the included charger on a clothes dryer outlet.

With the latest fast chargers out on the road your getting close to 1000 miles per hour, with improving battery and charging technology it will be even faster in the future. Right now the gas car is superior on long trips, but electric is catching up.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Sage

I assume you mean waiting around for a stall to become available? Assuming cars arrive randomly and the average charging time is 30 minutes, a stall would open up every 4 minutes. Of course, there is no guarantee all stalls will be occupied at the same time so the wait time could be 0 minutes.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 08-24-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:06 AM

People that have never driven a Tesla cannot even begin to imagine how magnificent a vehicle it is. I now get 404 miles on a full charge, more than enough to go anywhere that I would not take an airplane to get to, or stay overnight at a hotel that has a Tesla charging station free of charge.
Closed Thread

Tags
station, tesla, supercharger, great, miles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.