New town square

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2020, 07:38 AM

Don't understand why they are developing where they are developing. Wouldn't it make more sense to start building at the northern end near Brownwood and spread south? They are building first in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:08 AM

We heard that Sawgrass, currently being built, will be similar to a small square with live music, pub, golf, etc. and the planned “Urban Core” and lifestyle area will be a new form of a town square. But with a short drive to Brownwood it is not a big deal for us.

It is interesting to read people’s perspectives of the area South of 44. We spent a long time looking and staying in different areas of TV before buying south of 44. While we liked many areas north, we wanted a new house, new amenities, other people new to TV, etc. we don’t mind a short drive to Brownwood or waiting on the new areas to be built. We have not met anyone who lives down here that isn’t happy with their choice. We also haven’t met anyone north of 44 that isn’t happy with their choice. We do know several people that moved from north of 44 to a new house. Don’t understand the north vs south thing. Everyone can enjoy the amenities anywhere in TV. We absolutely love the new areas and the older areas.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 AM

Stay where you are! TV are totally money hungry. It is not what it used to be and all the salespeople are lying to you! The construction traffic is terrible. War time convoys of DUMP TRUCKS! This place is why I want to move! If I had bought a northern area resale it would be much better. Where you are thinking of buying you will be isolated for years/
Old 10-19-2020, 08:37 AM

Buy a house near the square you most like. There’s no guarantee there will be a square south of 44.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I’ve been in the villages for 20 years started in Springdale and have moved 5 times through the new areas until now I’m in Fenney for the last 2 years . Things are only a little behind from what I was told and no one promised me anything. This is a beautiful area , with many nice places to walk and bike. The Publix is only about 8 minutes away Brownwood not that much farther. Many people out here are in there early 60’S and understand things take time and the deals we got on new homes . I don’t need to have everything 5 minutes from my house , I go pretty regular to places north on 441go to Starbucks, bonefish, haircut on 466 , I’m 81 still like to get out and about , not stuck in a 10 minute from my home bubble and I don’t care about the bridges, I’ve never had a golf cart . I think the only people who hate it here are the ones that don’t live here
Old 10-19-2020, 09:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Ignore the tired old prunes who bash the southern areas, the developer knows the market and home sales are currently at an all time high. Recent announcements include:

The Villages All New Future Lifestyle Opportunities

New golf courses (46 Championship holes), a Pitch & Putt and Putting Course;
Weird number. Four nines and a ten or five nines and a one?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Default The mystery of the Morses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
Don't understand why they are developing where they are developing. Wouldn't it make more sense to start building at the northern end near Brownwood and spread south? They are building first in the middle of nowhere.
They work in mysterious ways with nothing too revealing but always for the almighty dollar for them.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Ignore the tired old prunes who bash the southern areas, the developer knows the market and home sales are currently at an all time high. Recent announcements include:

A 400-acre “Medical Village” that will include a new UF Health trauma center that also will serve as a teaching hospital for medical students;

An “Urban core” shopping center near the medical complex and that will include complementary businesses;

Housing for doctors, nurses and other medical professionals;

A “Lifestyle/Town Center”;

A “Super-Regional” recreation center;

A lake large enough to host regional or international events such as dragon boat racing, skiing, rowing, remote-controlled boats and sailing;

New bridges connecting portions of the new areas, including one that will accommodate both multi-modal and automobile traffic across the turnpike south of the plaza.

A second K-8 Villages Charter School campus and an expanded high school campus that includes a sports complex, gym, stadium and performing arts center, among other things;

A neighborhood near the new school campus for employees who work in The Villages;

New recreation centers;

A new restaurant and pub; and

An indoor farmer’s market.
I agree! We moved into a new area in 2005 near Lake Sumter Landing and newbies were poo poo-ed then, too. As each new area is developed, good stuff is replicated, bad (if there is any) stuff is abandoned and new stuff is introduced. Market demand is what drives new development, providing what people want. Once the connectivity via golf cart is a reality, I feel that "us" vs "them" will lessen. I know we'll be all over the place because we love all areas of TV! I'm not planning to leave!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Check the Videos on The Villages website. They are building an entertainment/shopping area South of Brownwood. It will be different from the squares but apparently very nice. Not sure if this will be instead of a square or in addition to. Heard there would be a square near 470 from a realtor but have no idea if that’s accurate
Old 10-19-2020, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Robbie0723;1849370]Ignore the tired old prunes who bash the southern areas, the developer knows the market and home sales are currently at an all time high. Recent announcements include:

A 400-acre “Medical Village” that will include a new UF Health trauma center that also will serve as a teaching hospital for medical students;
--------------------

A "teaching hospital" for medical students is not necessarily a good thing.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:

An “Urban core” shopping center near the medical complex and that will include complementary businesses;

Housing for doctors, nurses and other medical professionals;

A “Lifestyle/Town Center”;

A “Super-Regional” recreation center;

A lake large enough to host regional or international events such as dragon boat racing, skiing, rowing, remote-controlled boats and sailing;

New bridges connecting portions of the new areas, including one that will accommodate both multi-modal and automobile traffic across the turnpike south of the plaza.

A second K-8 Villages Charter School campus and an expanded high school campus that includes a sports complex, gym, stadium and performing arts center, among other things;

A neighborhood near the new school campus for employees who work in The Villages;

New recreation centers;

A new restaurant and pub; and

An indoor farmer’s market.
The above all sounds to me like anything but an age-restricted community, which is why most of us moved here. In pre-pandemic conditions, the square were overcrowded, the movie theaters were full, etc. Now, the golf courses are hard to get time on except in the heat of the day. Condominiums would have been preferred over apartments. I feel sorry for those people who bought homes based upon location and now the nature of the location will change when apartments replace country clubs. Nothing but greed.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:03 AM

I'm only 62 and looking for more things to do past 7 p.m. when they roll up the sidewalks. OTOW has very limited golf cart accessible restaurants and entertainment options are non-existent. Just not for me, need more liveliness.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post
They work in mysterious ways with nothing too revealing but always for the almighty dollar for them.
There isn't a thing wrong for working for money and giving some of it over to the other people who work for you. Not a thing. It is a great system. No shame in earning money, only stealing money is wrong.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neikenberry View Post
The southern end is new houses and a new concept. Previously, north of 44, all of the amenities were put in place and then homes were built and sold. South of 44 they are building homes, some amenities, and then more amenities. For example, south of 44 has only one dedicated restaurant at this point...for several years now. Yes, it will change, but when? The bridges for connectivity were promised over two years ago and they still aren't complete. No championship golf south of 44 but one course is being built. So just a different mindset. Be very careful what the sales office tells you...they have no ethics and they say what they can to sell you a house. Lots of people who buy south of 44 are happy. But they nearly all come north in their cars for entertainment and shopping.
A business requires customers in order to survive. For there to be customers there has to be a population base to draw from and until recently there hasn't been enough population south of 44 to support any businesses. There isn't even a half smart smart businessman in the world that would start up a retail/service enterprise in an area where there aren't enough customers to pay for the utilities. It isn't rocket science, even a caveman can understand that. Once the population base reaches a certain point you will see new establishments popping up.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:23 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
One of the biggest things that will change from living in OTOW and moving any place in TV you will no longer have the security and truly private roads, security here is an allusion.
Security or no security.............the key is the level of crime.

Tags
square, heard, brownwood, south, located

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.