New Traffic Light?

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Sage
Smile New Traffic Light?

Hubby told me that he heard a new traffic light is going in at the golf cart crossing by citizens and BB&T bank at Colony. He heard first a stop sign all 4 ways then a stop light eventually. That would be great. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran member

Whatever happens it will be welcome. My wife doesn't like to drive the cart to Colony Plaza just because of that particular intersection. So much car and cart traffic going through, you really have to be aware of all sides.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Gold member

NOTE: I copied this from an email Ron McMahon sent out. He encourages passing the information on, hope this will answer some of your questions regarding the traffic issue near Colony Cottage Rec Center.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I welcome this issues "newcomers" and hope you all find NewsShorts both interesting and informative.

The Colony Cottage Rec Center Traffic Jam - REVISITED

In case you missed it ... I did as apparently this month's CDD7 Board Meeting report wasn't in today's Daily Sun (Saturday March 16th) ... your CDD7 Board of Supervisors have (finally) been able to begin the process to resolve the car / cart traffic congestion problem issue down on Colony Blvd. near Colony Cottage Recreation Center. But like everything else, it's still going to take a while.

The Board received the engineers traffic report and mitigation recommendation for the intersection, and found that, while expensive, the primary alternative is consistent with Florida DOT recommendations and applications in similar situations. Following considerable discussion to ensure all members fully understood the options and alternative costs, the Board adopted a motion to (temporarily) install traffic signage on Colony Blvd. warning of the Golf Cart Crossing ahead , and forwarded a request to the Project Wide Advisory Committee to incorporate the Colony Blvd. roadway into the Project Wide umbrella of responsibility and concurrently adopt the engineers primary recommendation to install a traffic signal (stop light) at the intersection location.

It is anticipated that the Project Wide Committee will accept both the responsibility and the recommendation and move forward with all due speed to initiate and complete the installation during the coming summer months while both car and cart traffic are at the least congestive.

First I want to thank everyone who uses that cart / car intersection for their due diligence over the past several months in proceeding with the care and caution which has resulted in few serious incidents. At the same time, I ask that we all continue for the next few months with the same patience and understanding while final design and installation is pursued. And, of course, I would hope that those who find this resolution to be unsatisfactory, for whatever reason, would bear in mind that there is no perfect solution, but that this has been pursued with all due diligence to affect the solution believed to be both consistent with existing and acceptable DOT traffic guidelines and at the same time finding an action we believe to be in the best consideration of and for the SAFETY of all drivers and riders crossing in all directions.

PS: And with all due respect, I'm sure the Daily Sun will report tomorrow or soon on the actions at our Friday meeting, I just won't know about it as I am now out of town until next weekend.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><>

NOTED: NewsShorts is now distributed to over 400 e-mail addresses, and counting neighbor, group and club "forwarding" and spouse sharing, we believe it reaches over 1000 readers. The next level is to reach 500 addresses, SO ... if you think NewsShorts is worthwhile information, please feel free to pass it on to friends, neighbors and social groups you belong to, inviting them to sign up for their own copy simply by sending me an e-mail to this address, CDD7.News@gmail.com. I need to receive a Name, a Street Address and a the Village or Villa name. AND, if there is a District or local issue you want to question or discuss, it's the same e-mail address. Issues of neighborhood or general interest will be addressed in future issues.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><>

If anyone wishes to be deleted from this distribution, simply 'reply' to this e-mail "asking out".

Ron McMahon, CDD#7
Board of Supervisors Seat #5
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,298 Times in 536 Posts
Default Signal Light Location

I'm confused as to exactly where this new traffic signal is proposed to go. Colony Blvd/Sembler intersection? Colony Blvd/entrance to Rec Center or Colony Blvd/morse blvd.?? Anywhere to stop the traffic on Colony Blvd to allow golf carts on to Colony Blvd or cross to the 466A tunnel will help the safety for golf carts. Clear as mud!!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I'm confused as to exactly where this new traffic signal is proposed to go. Colony Blvd/Sembler intersection? Colony Blvd/entrance to Rec Center or Colony Blvd/morse blvd.?? Anywhere to stop the traffic on Colony Blvd to allow golf carts on to Colony Blvd or cross to the 466A tunnel will help the safety for golf carts. Clear as mud!!
Re-read the email I got, it specifically mentions the golf cart crossing, "Golf Cart Crossing ahead". The way I read it is that temporary signs will be installed and later a traffic signal.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
Re-read the email I got, it specifically mentions the golf cart crossing, "Golf Cart Crossing ahead". The way I read it is that temporary signs will be installed and later a traffic signal.
Nothing of STOP signs that I read either.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Nothing of STOP signs that I read either.
As it states in the email I posted, temporary signs warning of the golf cart crossing ahead will be installed first.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

I was hoping that a different solution would have been suggested. All though car and cart traffic is increasing at this intersection, it is really bad during the winter months when all the snow birds and renters are here. Installing a traffic light will increase delays at the intersection year round. Signage and speed bumps on the Blvd would slow the cars down to doing the 20MPH speed limit, which very few obey. I just hope that the traffic light will go to blinking for most of the year.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Rsetterlund:
If you are seriously worried about being delayed by traffic signals or potential stop signs at this very dangerous crossing, then I would suggest you avoid Colony Blvd altogether.
Just approach Colony shopping plaza by using 466A instead.
Problem solved.
Simple.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Rsetterlund:
If you are seriously worried about being delayed by traffic signals or potential stop signs at this very dangerous crossing, then I would suggest you avoid Colony Blvd altogether.
Just approach Colony shopping plaza by using 466A instead.
Problem solved.
Simple.
Except for those in golf carts...this might "seem" to be the logical solution. But don't think folks will do this...for the most part. When the new build down at Powell Rd. and 466a is complete, I'd say a lot of this congestion will abate, some at least. BUT a 4 way at the golf-cart crossing really would be a good solution for what's now happening.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Hubby told me that he heard a new traffic light is going in at the golf cart crossing by citizens and BB&T bank at Colony. He heard first a stop sign all 4 ways then a stop light eventually. That would be great. Has anyone else heard this?
Yes, this is good news. The only thing I would be weary or cautious about is the interim stop signs (if it is stop signs) until the stop lights are put in, and the only reason I say that is because we've seen numerous times where some people don't really understand the "full" scope of the yield requirements under Florida law. Here is the MV page that describes the requirements. Many might be surprised to find that they misunderstood one or more of the requirements after reading what's on this page. I know I was when I read the answer to the question... "who has the right of way at a four way stop?"
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Default Colony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Except for those in golf carts...this might "seem" to be the logical solution. But don't think folks will do this...for the most part. When the new build down at Powell Rd. and 466a is complete, I'd say a lot of this congestion will abate, some at least. BUT a 4 way at the golf-cart crossing really would be a good solution for what's now happening.
My take on this is a traffic light at Colony Blvd/Sembler and a sign letting cars know there is a cart crossing ahead. Perhaps when that does not work a 4 way stop sign sustem will be placed at the cart path area.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Something not mentioned.......What about extending the existing cart path to go futher East towards Citizens Bank? This would cut down by 1/2 the number of people crossing at the cart/car intersection.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolman44 View Post
Something not mentioned.......What about extending the existing cart path to go futher East towards Citizens Bank? This would cut down by 1/2 the number of people crossing at the cart/car intersection.
I forgot......the above would also reduce the # of carts from North of 466A on the roadway. Carts coming from South of 466A could continue using roadway to get to Colony. Again this will decrease the # of carts crossing at that intersection!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Eternal Member

There needs to be a light at Colony Blvd/Sembler not only to control traffic at that intersection but to also bunch the traffic up a little on Colony. The major cause of the cart traffic backup is that there is nothing to cause traffic on Colony to get the traffic grouped together so that there will eventfully be gaps and then the carts can either cross Colony or turn onto it. There is never enough of a gap in traffic to safely make your turn or go straight across Colony.

IMHO a sign indicating "Golf Cart Crossing" is a waste of sheet metal as it will do absolutely nothing to aid the cart traffic crossing or turning onto Colony.

VG
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.