New Traffic Light?

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 AM

Watch the tempers flare when traffic is backed up into Colony rec center or to Morse ave because of the light. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Eternal Member

That would not be a problem if the light is placed at Colony Blvd/Sembler even in Bird Season. The light would group traffic together and thus allowing for gaps to occur to allow for cars or carts to turn onto Colony from any establishment including the rec center.

An even better solution would be to have a light at Colony Blvd/Sembler and a cart lane on Colony. The center turn lane is a good idea but many people don't use it properly when turning into Publix, Citizens Bank or Walgreens.

VG
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Sage

In reading all the comments and thinking of Colony Dr.---I have to wonder if "they" had thought this would be similar to Par Dr. Though at Colony it's really more of a direct road to the stores. A golf-cart path "should have" been thought about.

When we first came down here 4 years ago it was never an issue with traffic there. Though I saw several cars/trucks blow the stop sign at Sembler...that is scarey!!!!

I wonder, have there been accidents down in the Colony area? I've not ever heard or read of any. BUT it seems like one (several) waiting to happen.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM

The ONLY way golf carts can get to Colony shopping plaza is by getting off the multi-modal/cart path and merging into traffic on Colony Blvd. Those coming from the north must make a left turn across traffic, and those from the south go thru the tunnel under 466A then make a right turn onto Colony. Traffic is very heavy in this area and it is not unusual to see a dozen golf carts lined up waiting for a break in traffic so they can turn onto Colony Blvd.
Auto and truck traffic, on the other hand, have options. They can avoid Colony Blvd altogether and enter the shopping area via 466a. Because of this option, I do not see a problem with measures to slow down traffic on Colony Blvd.....stop signs, speed bumps, traffic lights, whatever.
Extending the multi modal path would be great, but probably too expensive, especially since it would have to go around a large retention pond right next to Citizens First Bank.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Gold member

I wonder why the people who designed this place didn't put a tunnel there in the first place. I hope this alerts them to any other issues like this one when the new shopping area is built down by the library .
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolman44 View Post
Something not mentioned.......What about extending the existing cart path to go futher East towards Citizens Bank? This would cut down by 1/2 the number of people crossing at the cart/car intersection.

The reason this idea was not mentioned is that it has already been reviewed as a possible solution and determined as not feasible. This was part of an agenda item for District #7 back in early 2011. As stated in the "Old Business Update" the stated reason for not moving that idea forward is:
Path cannot be constructed behind CFB (not enough land available to safely construct).
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage

Have to believe redirecting the golf cart traffic is a safer, easier way than redirecting all the traffic. Usually take the car, not the golf cart to Colony Plaza in season because of this situation. Can only imagine how many "red light crashers" will try and beat the wait at the intersection. Hope it works out.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
There needs to be a light at Colony Blvd/Sembler not only to control traffic at that intersection but to also bunch the traffic up a little on Colony. The major cause of the cart traffic backup is that there is nothing to cause traffic on Colony to get the traffic grouped together so that there will eventfully be gaps and then the carts can either cross Colony or turn onto it. There is never enough of a gap in traffic to safely make your turn or go straight across Colony.

IMHO a sign indicating "Golf Cart Crossing" is a waste of sheet metal as it will do absolutely nothing to aid the cart traffic crossing or turning onto Colony.

VG
"Golf Cart Crossing" sign I agree will do absolutely nothing and is a waste! Few, if any, pay any attention to these signs and it will do nothing to aid the cart traffic crossing or turning onto Colony Blvd.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
The reason this idea was not mentioned is that it has already been reviewed as a possible solution and determined as not feasible. This was part of an agenda item for District #7 back in early 2011. As stated in the "Old Business Update" the stated reason for not moving that idea forward is:
Path cannot be constructed behind CFB (not enough land available to safely construct).
As much dirt and earth they move around here for new villages, it's hard for me to believe that the golf cart east extension would not be the easiest and safest solution for the crossing nighmare at this intersection.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Maybe a better solution would be to block access between Colony Blvd and Morse. Let cars access Colony Plaza from 466A only, and then carts could safely access it , Colony Rec, and the tunnel under 466A from the current crossing.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolman44 View Post
As much dirt and earth they move around here for new villages, it's hard for me to believe that the golf cart east extension would not be the easiest and safest solution for the crossing nighmare at this intersection.

And I would offer a different perspective. To make that extension of the golf cart path safe I believe it would require moving it all the way behind the bank to end over by Beef O'Bradys. Ending in the front parking lot of the bank solves nothing. So to go behind the bank would probably require building a retention wall which would extend out into the retention pond that would then create a problem with the water overflow capacity of that pond. That would be costly and I wonder about County sign off on that.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Gold member

I once heard someone say that the quality of life in an area is inversely related to the number of stop lights. I tend to agree. I think a stop light is significant overkill for a seasonal problem. I would think that a 4-way stop sign would be adequate to handle the problem.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Location: The Villages, FL; Wayne, NJ; Boca Raton, FL; Oakland, NJ

As of July 1st has any signage been installed? Is there a date when the actual traffic light installation will commence?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk1912totv View Post
As of July 1st has any signage been installed? Is there a date when the actual traffic light installation will commence?

As of this past Friday the answer was no.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I'm confused as to exactly where this new traffic signal is proposed to go. Colony Blvd/Sembler intersection? Colony Blvd/entrance to Rec Center or Colony Blvd/morse blvd.?? Anywhere to stop the traffic on Colony Blvd to allow golf carts on to Colony Blvd or cross to the 466A tunnel will help the safety for golf carts. Clear as mud!!
neither. Where Colony comes into colony plaza, walgreens on right, citizens bank on left. Makes my day to have anything there to manage traffic.
Kitty
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.