New video contains 7 minute segment about The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

This is one of the best threads I've seen on this board to date - a serious political/philosophical discussion without naming names or being belligerent. Good going. The division in this country is serious...and sad. We'll only get past it if we have the courage to discuss it calmly.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:02 AM

The hardest person to live with is yourself
Old 10-27-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
It was created by the media and they are feeding the fire every day.
Agreed, it was created by the media. But how would you suggest the public be made aware of what’s going on in our country and the world? Millions say it’s “fake news”. I don’t buy it when you can watch video excerpts.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The U.S. Presidential Election: Can Donald Trump can once again defy the polls? | Four Corners - YouTube

Segment from the 7 minute to the 14 minute mark about The Villages. I wish I could edit this to just that segment as the rest of the video is about how important it is to win Florida in the upcoming election. My purpose is not political but to point out how we - The Villagers look to the rest of the country independent of political party and relay some sadness this has personally caused me. There is a segment around the 10 minute mark that describes people having become so hostile to each other they have been ousted from social circles. This hits home for me. For years I had a golf group playing 3 times per week. Last year it got so bad as leader had to make a rule no talking politics. Didn't work. We had to abandon the group and some friendships parted ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
How we look to the rest of the country has more to do with what is falsely reported in biased stories like this. I don't know of anyone who has lost their golf game or been kicked out of a club because of there support for either candidate. Of course that show that video of the golf cart parade with that one obnoxious woman yelling F**K Trump and the guy yelling white power in response. Then of course the leader of the democratic club complaining that it took days for someone to disavow it. The truth is that, in my experience, people like those two are few and far between here.

Who is the divider in that scenario? The woman yelling F**K Trump or the guy who responded?

I say if the Trump supporters want to have a golf cart parade, let them have it. If the Biden supporters want to have a golf cart parade, let them have it. People who are opposed to either candidate should not be going to the parade to taunt the people that they disagree with. It serves no purpose but to divide us.

How about everyone just support their candidate and leave the people that disagree alone.
I'll remind people what I was pointing out was I did loose some friends and golf games here in The Villages. It was getting so bad I was having a tough time making teams because some "friends" refused to ride with another "friend" unless they removed their political sign from the golf cart for the round of golf. The post wasn't to be political in support of a candidate or party or even worse to find blame. The video made me aware of how we are acting towards our fellow TV'ers / neighbors in our own little microcosm. There is no reason we can't have freedom of choice while being civil . Please face the fact that many eyes on on us TV'ers for various reasons. What kind of image would you like be projected of our little Utopia here ?
Old 10-27-2020, 05:32 AM
Default It's not just TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
The Villages isn't what it was when we moved here in 2014. The people are outrageously rude, mean, no filters and for no reason! I have no idea what happened over the years but I would love to find somewhere else to live. My husband FINALLY got to see the true colors come out in people today.... I'm actually embarrassed for their attitude and the way they act!
The world and people, will continue to change for better or worse always has always will. Change is the only constant.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I'll remind people what I was pointing out was I did loose some friends and golf games here in The Villages. It was getting so bad I was having a tough time making teams because some "friends" refused to ride with another "friend" unless they removed their political sign from the golf cart for the round of golf. The post wasn't to be political in support of a candidate or party or even worse to find blame. The video made me aware of how we are acting towards our fellow TV'ers / neighbors in our own little microcosm. There is no reason we can't have freedom of choice while being civil . Please face the fact that many eyes on on us TV'ers for various reasons. What kind of image would you like be projected of our little Utopia here ?
You hit the nail on the head when you said some wouldn’t ride in a golf cart because of the sign on it. It was in your face and caused anger? Frustration? No different than having white crosses on lawns or political signs in Windows. Some can ignore, many others can’t.
Why do people have that need to to put it in our face. I never have signs on my golf cart because of the negative feelings it promotes. What’s the sense in intentionally causing negative feelings/anger?
Old 10-27-2020, 06:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
The U.S. Presidential Election: Can Donald Trump can once again defy the polls? | Four Corners - YouTube

Segment from the 7 minute to the 14 minute mark about The Villages. I wish I could edit this to just that segment as the rest of the video is about how important it is to win Florida in the upcoming election. My purpose is not political but to point out how we - The Villagers look to the rest of the country independent of political party and relay some sadness this has personally caused me. There is a segment around the 10 minute mark that describes people having become so hostile to each other they have been ousted from social circles. This hits home for me. For years I had a golf group playing 3 times per week. Last year it got so bad as leader had to make a rule no talking politics. Didn't work. We had to abandon the group and some friendships parted ways.
It’s sad. I grew up in a very conservative household. My mom once washed my mouth out with soap for saying the forbidden words “Shut up.” My language can be salty at times, but in the following sixty years, I never used language like that in my parents’ presence, and I never used language like that in my children’s presence. It IS possible to just not talk about politics in “mixed company” where it will offend. It takes an effort, and it may leave a hole in the conversation, but it CAN be done. However, it is so much easier when people don’t post signs on their lawns, bodies, and golf carts and don’t post offensive memes on their Facebook pages. (Offensive to some others, not to the person posting, necessarily.) Just as we are avoiding the political name calling on here, we can do it in real life. But of course here we have a Moderator. (Thank you, Moderator!) I real life, we have to be our own moderators.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:50 AM

I am saddened also by the people of The Villages who are supposed to be so friendly. The first day I moved here 4 years ago I was told if I wasn’t a Trump supporter I should keep my mouth closed. I thought it was a joke. It wasn’t. I want to leave TV but now with Covid is not the time. I feel like I’m unwanted as a human being because I see things differently.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
rustyp,

I will try to watch your video later. But I just wanted to say that you bring up an interesting point that I wish we could have a thread discussing — but it probably would not last.

There are so many vignettes of the division in everyday lives of everyday people showing us that many relationships are probably ripped beyond repair.

There was an overheard conversation at a table of ROMEOs (Retired Old Men Eating Out) who were at an outside restaurant. Two of the men said that their adult granddaughters no longer speak to them.

If we ever decide to sell our house, I thought I knew what agent we would use — unless we FSBO. But then her husband decorated his vehicle to the max to go to a parade. I suspected she follows his thinking but even so, how dumb it is to mix business and politics. I won’t forget and our listing now would never be with her. That commission would be a tidy sum and I just don’t feel the same about these people. Petty? I don’t think so. There is too much that has been revealed about who they really are — in my opinion anyway. (I keep my mouth shut but I sometimes wish I did not. I am glad we are not allowed to have signs because I might be tempted to put some in my yard.)

Families, and even couples, are being torn up to a place far beyond anything remotely imaginable in politics-past.

It makes me sad. (“It was my party and I’ll cry if I want to.” That’s probably what I would put on a sign — a sign from which only an elder-Boomer would pick up the allusion.)
Sad that you change your perspective of someone so drastically based only on their political stance. Especially when you knew and liked them previously. Imo most come to their political opinion with a good heart. But opposing sides rarely Take the opportunity to see that good in the other. Guess love thy neighbor and love thy enemy doesn’t matter to many.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 971 Posts

It has been difficult for me to consciously avoid political discussions with all but the very few people with whom I know we can have disagreement without hostility.

things have become more emotionally charged than I remember them being, since the '60s. Things were pretty hot back then, without obviously politically slanted media outlets deliberately stoking the flames, in the pursuit of ratings and advertising dollars.

It has been difficult for me to do it, but it has been good for the soul.

Last edited by Laker14; 10-27-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 AM

pol·i·tics
/ˈpäləˌtiks/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.

Conflict and debate are uncomfortable things but why be close minded or judgmental and demand an echo chamber of your beliefs from friends and neighbors? How can you grow in that way? Who appointed me judge over right and wrong thinking? Why can’t I laugh when I find out something new and that I was wrong? Why is deep thinking without the use of media opinion exhausting if not impossible between acquaintances today? Why should I be embarrassed to learn at least what someone feels and choose to be passive aggressive instead? Our own judgement isn’t infallible and leads us to isolation. Political discussion on its face isn’t evil, rather it is a way for citizens or peoples affected by government outcomes to limit the chaos intended by those who actually practice politics in obtaining power from us.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:25 AM

So sad! Maybe if everyone went outside at the same time and sang a happy song, smiled at each other, and said good morning, this evil hatred that has spread like this virus might go away. So sad.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria321 View Post
So sad! Maybe if everyone went outside at the same time and sang a happy song, smiled at each other, and said good morning, this evil hatred that has spread like this virus might go away. So sad.
I can’t sing but promise to hum along!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:43 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I'll take how things are in The Villages, over how they are in Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Baltimore, NYC and the like any day.
We moved to The Villages south of 44, after living in the Portland metro area for 45 years. Beautiful area, many friends, and wonderful experiences, except in more recent years.

So glad we discovered The Villages last year. So many activities, and many new friends.

And, we can visit the Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington) almost anytime for less cost than living there.

For our retirement, we could live almost anywhere in the world, and we chose central Florida. We’re glad we did.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 10-27-2020, 08:12 AM
Red face No longer The Friendliest Town?

Over the years we rented a home in The Villages. We loved it and made friends. We retired and decided to buy here. I realize Covid has people more hesitant. However, between Covid and the election people have become rude, mean and intolerant! We never argue with those who choose to take a liberal stance. However we have become Persona Non Grata- especially since we have attended rallies. It went under the guise of we MUST isolate afterward and we can't be around them for weeks. At this point, I have no idea why we bought a home here. I assure you that the damage has been done by many and after the election and pandemic it will not reverse back to the happy place it once was. It makes me sad that those we know who are liberals feel they must control the rest of us. I appreciate that The Villages is getting so much positive air time as it will increase my property values. Hence to sell and find a nicer, happier place that was once The Villages. Did I mention that apartments were never been part of The Villages plan?
Closed Thread

Tags
minute, segment, rest, group, political

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.