Pickleball

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Default Pickleball

On front page of todays rec paper is a posting for Intermediate pickleball league taking sign-ups . This league will be run by a resident of the villages
and playing at 10am @ SeaBreeze. The tryouts will be at a later date to make sure you play at his level. To participate you contact him at his email address.

I and other residents were told in January that the villages would no longer issue permits to any leagues other than those run by the Recreation Dept., between the hours 7am to 12pm. The reason for this was to let ALL residents use there courts and stop certain groups from taking over the courts.

I called the recreation dept to object to this resident being able to take over
the courts and was told He is representing the villages so that makes it
OK. I called over to SeeBreeze and was told by Joe the article was a mistake and should have read "RUN BY REC DEPT".

If this is the way the Rec Dept. works I would like to apply to represent the villages so my league can play at the times we want and only with the players we want.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM

I'm not really sure what your gripe is, however, it appears you received an answer to your original question regarding the issuance of permits. As you noted, the league is designated as an INTERMEDIATE TEAM LEAGUE with sign-ups by those in that ranking. Experienced players will evaluate the signees to make certain they are in the appropriate league and for the captains to rank them prior to a DRAFT. The Recreation Dept. has always been responsible for these leagues. There are also Beginner and Advanced Team Leagues in play.
Now you may not like the rules whereby the Rec Dept determines when, what and where leagues are formed, but I personally have seen better utilization of the available times for open play and league play. Not to mention the many times and locations, for all levels of instructions. For folks like yourself, what's wrong with any time after noon? I am in no way associated with the Rec Dept, other than volunteering occasionally as an instructor and using the courts during open play and leagues. I also had some differences with regards to court utilization last year, but voiced my concerns in a constructive way. You appear to desire things to be conducted only YOUR way. Unfortunately there are way too many residents requiring service by the Rec Dept to have small groups dictate their prescibed needs. All in all, I believe they do a marvelous job. JUST MY OPINION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMJC View Post
On front page of todays rec paper is a posting for Intermediate pickleball league taking sign-ups . This league will be run by a resident of the village and playing at 10am @ SeaBreeze. The tryouts will be at a later date to make sure you play at his level. To participate you contact him at his email address.

I and other residents were told in January that the villages would no longer issue permits to any leagues other than those run by the Recreation Dept., between the hours 7am to 12pm. The reason for this was to let ALL residents use there courts and stop certain groups from taking over the courts.

I called the recreation dept to object to this resident being able to take over
the courts and was told He is representing the villages so that makes it
OK. I called over to SeeBreeze and was told by Joe the article was a mistake and should have read "RUN BY REC DEPT".

If this is the way the Rec Dept. works I would like to apply to represent the villages so my league can play at the times we want and only with the players we want.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

Quote:
The tryouts will be at a later date to make sure you play at his level. To participate you contact him at his email address.

Sounds to me very much how Softball is operated.....indviduals running the leagues, under the auspicies of the Rec Department, with tryouts determing ability level.

Sounds a lot better than the "Beginner" League I subbed in last year where most of the players hadn't seen "Beginner" level in years....most really intermediate!

I'm sure they'd be happy to have you volunteer to run a league as long its was open to all who fit the playing level criteria you set, not just populated with select individuals.

Let us know..I for one am looking for a good "Adv. Beginner" league.
_
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Default Pickleball

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeadow View Post
I'm not really sure what your gripe is, however, it appears you received an answer to your original question regarding the issuance of permits. As you noted, the league is designated as an INTERMEDIATE TEAM LEAGUE with sign-ups by those in that ranking. Experienced players will evaluate the signees to make certain they are in the appropriate league and for the captains to rank them prior to a DRAFT. The Recreation Dept. has always been responsible for these leagues. There are also Beginner and Advanced Team Leagues in play.
Now you may not like the rules whereby the Rec Dept determines when, what and where leagues are formed, but I personally have seen better utilization of the available times for open play and league play. Not to mention the many times and locations, for all levels of instructions. For folks like yourself, what's wrong with any time after noon? I am in no way associated with the Rec Dept, other than volunteering occasionally as an instructor and using the courts during open play and leagues. I also had some differences with regards to court utilization last year, but voiced my concerns in a constructive way. You appear to desire things to be conducted only YOUR way. Unfortunately there are way too many residents requiring service by the Rec Dept to have small groups dictate their prescibed needs. All in all, I believe they do a marvelous job. JUST MY OPINION.
Folks like me are glad that all of YOUR desires have been meet by the Rec Dept.
From your posting I see that you understood my gripe very well.
JUST MY OPINION
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Folks like me are glad that all of YOUR desires have been meet by the Rec Dept.
From your posting I see that you understood my gripe very well.
JUST MY OPINION
I didn't say that my desires were met (just the opposite), however, after getting the explanation from the rec dept regarding the need to satisfy a majority of the residents, I realized the insurmountable task they have. Some of us can not get what we desire. The need to be more flexible in our demands is quite pronounced. Again I ask; what's wrong with after 12 noon for your group? By the way, do you plan on signing up for the "Team League"?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.