New Years on the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: New Years on the Squares

I was actually being slightly sarcastic in using "riff-raff." It seems many Villagers consider anyone who doesn't live in TV as riff-raff. Quite honestly, I've met several in the squares who do not live here. If there's a dog around and I can pet it, I'm there. Many non-Villagers bring their dogs, so I end up talking to them. I've yet to find a person I've met in the Squares to be anything but nice.

Now, I have a question -- are all roads in TV public or are some considered owned by TV? I was under the illusion that those within the gates were technically private but patrolled by county under some strange agreement. Are the squares themselves public or private property? What about the streets right around the squares?

As to using the Polo Grounds for dancing, it surely wouldn't be that hard to put down some temporary dance floors. Might even be a good idea to protect the grass.

I don't think the complaints were about the music stopping at 9:00 p.m., everyone knew that was going to happen. I think it was the being told to leave at 9:00. Personally, I would take great offense to that had I been there. If I want to stay and just walk around or even dance to the music in my head (or iPod or boom box), why couldn't I?

Muncle, hope you feel better soon. (Yes, you were grumpy. ) And Chuckster, glad you're on the mend.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm with muncle, I think you did a good job summing up the issues.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think Muncie is right on the beam( head cold and all)..trying to close the town squares to the gen, public is ridiculous as they are county roads..and besides it would be illegal anyway...the buildings are all leased to public businesses , which probably then would involve restraint of trade..and it goes on and on....
There are new years party's all over the villages and all you have to do is buy a ticket , sit at your table ,wave your balloons and toot your horns and enjoy...
We did just that this year, We bought reservations at urban flats restaurant and we were not more than 100 feet from the square at Sumter Landing where at 9:00 O'Clock all the people looked in our windows and watched us having a good time....We had Live entertainment until 1;00 AM and I'm told they were very good....At least my wife said they were as she woke me up and took me home.............Happy New Year everyone ...

Still sleeping in the backseat FUMAR
Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Veteran member

YEEAAAAH Muncie & Fumar.
Glad to see the tide of this thread has moved to the realistic.
Admittedly, the Ent. Dept could have handled things better but,
can anyone image Times Square only open to the tax paying public of NY.
The reason the downtowns work at all is because they're open to the public.
Next thing some people will ask for is showing your Village ID at Publix !
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN
good point , fumar!

I also like the idea about using the polo fields and a Villagers only affair
Fumar, You hit the nail on the head. Apparently there have been several incidents at LSL that have involved out-of-control people. More than likely an "outsider". It has bothered me so much to hear about them, that that is a big question as to whether we should move to TV. Security from such situations was a big factor. I think its wrong to punish those that comply with the law because of a few "wrong-doers" TV needs to deal with them. Hopefully it would stop if the word gets out that certain behavior isn't tolerated.

John, I think the polo fields is the answer. Celebrations at TV should be "residents only" and their guests. That's the impression I got. Guess I was wrong.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM

;D I plugged in where I moved from--Crestview, Fl. I thought it was a pretty safe place to live but TV beat it by a mile. Sure glad I live here.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Dee,

Riff-raff is a good way to discribe the drunks on the squares.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Yeah, but there's no clue who will be the riff-raff ahead of time.

I don't really think NYE at TV quite compares to NYE at Times Square. There, the police are out in force. Here, from what I understand, the local constabulary basically refused or didn't have the manpower to be at the Squares. That being the case, closing the Squares makes sense. I know it is possible to close even a public street -- it's done all the time for street fairs and parades in California. So, saying it is not possible to close the Squares off to only TV residents is not quite accurate unless it is truly illegal by Florida law and that seems unlikely considering streets can be closed off for block parties and limited to residents only.

The logistics are relatively simple. There aren't that many roads that lead to the Squares. Rent-a-cops could be stationed on these roads and only allow those with ids and their guests. Additional rent-a-cops could be hired to patrol the Squares themselves and remove those who are drunk or exceedingly rowdy. Easy? No. Doable? Yes.

I do think the Polo Grounds is a good alternative. The obvious question would be whether it is large enough to let people be on the field and still have rooms for bands, etc. Having people sit in the stands wouldn't be all that much fun for an event like celebrating NYE.

Another alternative would be to open the rec centers. Have different bands in each. Make it a set price ticket that would allow you to travel from rec center to rec center or just stay put (your option). It could be done with either kiosks available for drinks or BYOB.

There are solutions. Hopefully, TV rec will find them by next year. The handling and ultimate solution for this year really was unsatisfactory.

Obviously, the other solution is to simply not put on a NYE celebration and leave it to the local bars, restaurants and homes to provide one. Works in many towns but just doesn't seem quite for the lifestyle of TV, at least not to me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

It might be in the merchants' interest to work with TV officials to pay for several off-duty officers to enable the area to stay open later.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Would a drunken Villager be more acceptable than an "outsider".
Riff-raff and outsider are flagrantly interchanged by some of you. Where did you grow up/live in a locked up community???

Let's change the venue....how about any of the other events held in the squares when they are packed beyond comfort. Some how that is all managed. And please don't insult our intelligence by asserting there io drinking involved. There are no non drinking events in the squares if one takes notice.

Paredo got the linguine spined management, that said the heck with it is to blame.....nothing else. (Paredo = 80/20 effect.....as in an all Villagers only party 80% will be happy as larks and 20% will ave somethto grumble about...or less than 1% may create an altercation).

Why has the New Years celebration at Spanish Spring worked so well all these past years? Sumter, every year since opening???

The difference is the newbie management that does NOT have The Villager in mind when performing a take away.

While everybody is certainly entitled to their opinions, if you haven't been to the new years celebration on the squares you can not have the real perspective....only your opinion heavily influenced by how you would like it to be whether you go or not....and you are entitled.

When you "insiders" travel to other parts of the planet and enjoy the amenities....do you feel like an outsider. Would you be insulted to be called an outsider....riff-raff.

What's happening to America's friendliest home town????? Oh you mean it is only meant for Villager to Villager?????

One thing I do appreciate about forums lthis....it ain't the silent majority....they are still silent and the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR.......

BTK
Old 01-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Gold member

Barb 1191
your comment about it being profitable for the merchants is probably the biggest stumbling block for moving celebrations out of the squares. No people , no profits.
So, maybe hiring some gendarmes for the evening might be a good solution for the "riff, raff" problem but it won't help with accomodating the crowds and safety related issues.
Such a problem, glad I don't have to make those decisions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.