The Villages vs. Competing Communities

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Default The Villages vs. Competing Communities

My wife and I will be looking at FL retirement communities at the end of the month and are starting with the Villages because of all the good things we have heard. But honestly, the homes seems to be more expensive than other communities. So I am looking for advice and comments about why The Villages is so special compared to other communities. Also, any advice about new vs. preowned, what communities we should give preference to, Villages real estate agent vs. MLS agent, and any other advice/comments. Thanks from St. Louis, Missouri.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Default Re: The Villages vs. Competing Communities

With respect, in my opinion, The Villages has no competition. It is completely unique in its concept and execution. The others are all "wannabe's".

Having said that, it is up to yo to decide if what TV offers is for you. It is true the houses are somewhat higher priced, but, you are buying a lifestyle in a unique community that is up and running with a great track record.

These days, with so many developers on the ropes, I believe you can buy in The Villages with confidence. If they didn't sell another home, you'd be no worse off.

There was a story recently referred to on this blog about a seniors development in S. Florida where the early buyers are now living in a virtual desert with no landscaping or amenties thanks to a belly up developer. What do you suppose their good value home is worth today?

No, I think today more than ever TV is a sound investment.

As to some of your other questions I would suggest you use the search feature on this blog as they have all been answered in earlier posts.

Good Luck and welcome!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 AM
Veteran member

I agree with the Captain! You are buying a lifestyle! If you are looking at other areas, please be sure and compare all the amenities with what is available in TV.

Becky
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There is no question that other communities near here are cheaper and many of the residents from those communities come here for many events, which speaks volumes about TV compared to their developments.

However, those living near TV but not in TV are not allowed to use many of TV's amenities such as the golf courses (without paying a premium price), the pools, the rec centers for many events. For other things, such as shows at Savannah Center, non-residents are charged a higher fee.

For those developments that have their own golf courses, it seems their fees are higher for use (can't state this with any proof since I don't golf). Also, many have higher amenity fees than here.

The biggest factor, though, is the ambience here. I've yet to find a friendlier, kinder place to live. You can pretty much occupy yourself non-stop from 5:00 am to who knows when if you so desire. It is a true golf cart community, more so than any others claiming to be. If it is in TV, you can get there via golf cart. If you choose to go by car, that option is also easily available.

While property values have dropped a little here, the drop has not been as drastic as the rest of Florida and I doubt it ever will be. Foreclosures are few and far between here.

So, I guess it depends what you want -- more house for the money or more bang for your buck.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Eternal Member

You have to see it for yourself.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 AM
JohnnyM

M02, it's lifestyle and a nice home vs a really nice home with two tennis courts and one golf course. No movie theater, no stores, no restaurants, no bowling alleys, no dancin' to the live music every night of the year in two soon to be three locations. No beautiful softball fields, some 35 golf courses and who knows how many tennis and pickle ball courts. You are not located off some secluded highway somewhere trapped behind your security gate. Secondly, when you visit TV you will assuredly come to the same conclusion we all did, what took me so long to find this place! Good luck... JohnnyM :bigthumbsup:
Old 03-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Gold member

There are VLS listings (The Villages real estate operation) and MLS listings (conventional real estate salespeople using multiple listintgs, and it's necessary to find one salesperson representing each if you wish to see all potential listings, as each is not able to show those of the other. There are also many FSBOs (for sale by owner listings) in the Daily Sun, the Villages newspaper. For a complete picture, also do some research online where there's a TON of information readily available, not only on this website (www.talkofthevillages.com) but on local governmental and other websites as well.

Others commenting prior to this have spoken about 'lifestyle.' This is what makes The Villages so unique. We ourselves did not, as others did, go exploring retirement communities coast to coast, but we have heard often enough from those who did and ended up here in the most unique setting. Come check it out and see if it's for you. A friendlier place we cannot imagine!

It is interesting to note that developers of communities close to The Villages advertise themselves less by their direct offerings and more by stating that they are located NEAR The Villages. Being 'near' is a far cry from being 'in.' 'Nuff said....
Old 03-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Platinum member

Too bad you feel you have to waste time looking at places other than The Villages when you could be actually living here enjoying everything. But... do what you must... and we'll see you eventually... when you realize what you have been missing!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:05 AM

We were in Florida for two months this winter. We looked at two other retirement developments in different areas of the state and concluded that it was a waste of time to look at more. I doubt if anything could compare to the Villages. I didn't even want to move to Florida, but seeing the Villages changed my mind.
New Jersey
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We've looked at several Florida communities, including Pringle, Del Webb, Plantations, Arlington Ridge, Solavita, Oak Run, etc. (and many others online) but have settled on The Villages. We think it was just part of our own "due diligence" to investigate 'em and it was interesting to personally learn/see the differences.

The Villages is unique with the activities, size, town centers and the everyday feeling that you're at a resort on vacation. Good luck
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM

We made similar visits around before deciding on The Villages and buying a CV in Hadley last month. As recommended, before making any purchase like this conduct due diligence. Compare and contrast and make sure it is right for you. When it comes to buying real estate and a home, I subscribe to the thought "you know it when you see it." I think because we made all those visits at the other developments we were all the more comfortable that our decision to buy here was the right one.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

Don't waste your time looking at other retirement communities. Many of us here did take time to investigate other possibilities before choosing TV. There is nothing that remotely comes close to what you get for your money at TV. Trust what every one on TOTV is telling you. Come down and join the party you'll never regret it. We have been here almost two years now and wish we had come sooner.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM

My advice. Go and look at all the other communities you want . Just dont buy anything until you experience The Villages. We have been here full time for 2 years. We pinch ourselves everyday as to how lucky we are to have found this eutopia. If you're biggest criteria is a large wonderful house with a huge lot for very little money TV may not be for you. If you want a reasonably priced home with an easy to manage yard size, with the most fantastic neighbors and amenities and lifestyle you can imagine, TV is it.

Jeffy
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper
Too bad you feel you have to waste time looking at places other than The Villages when you could be actually living here enjoying everything. *But... do what you must... and we'll see you eventually... when you realize what you have been missing!
St. Louis...

Your own favorable feelings about The Villages will ultimately be strengthened by your visits to other communties.* This is something you need to do. Enjoy the journey.* See you in TV soon.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.