Newbie question about homeowner private information published

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2020, 07:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. And, what is the problem with a free press publishing information that is available on a public website?
Again — relevance?
Old 12-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Veteran member
Default Embarrassing

Yes, THAT publication embarrasses many with mug shots etc. I know one person who took his own life after a story about him hit that RAG after a medical issue causes him to do something out of his character.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,709 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Again — relevance?
I think I know the news story that this thread is about. A woman, who lives in The Villages, was arrested for drinking and driving a golf cart. How is that relevant to anything? She is innocent until proven guilty in court. But, I think, for the reporter to include all of the available public information about the story is fine. The press is free to publish and report public information. So, they reported her name, address, age, bail amount, and other public information about the case. If they are going publish a report, they may as well be as complete as possible. I guess the only relevant part of the story is that she lives in The Villages, so to include her address makes it even more accurate. So, I don't have a problem with the news story.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-07-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
There is...it's called sensationalism! They think it's journalism, but it's in the National Enquirer category.
True, but after reading The Daily Sunshine and Butterflies Happy News(paper) I can use some sensationalism to wake me up in the morning. I always thought The Villages was like Disney and I found it was because they both bury anything other than fluff n' stuff.
Closed Thread

Tags
newbie, local, published, information, sentence

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.