Newbie Question - Water Filtration System

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
Nova systems. Water filter and water softener. Filter contains 3 large separate filters (2 for sediment and 1 for organics/chlorine which is activated carbon). They probably should be changed once a year if you are full time or home is occupied year round (rented). You will need to add salt every couple of months. You can use sodium chloride or potassium chloride. Sodium is about $8-9 a bag and potassium is about $35 a bag. This is used to regenerate the softener and the flush water usually is piped through the garage wall. Then it runs either into a landscaped area or the yard. Sodium can & will kill grass and plants. Potassium will not harm plants. In fact it is a component of fertilizer.

Check out their website: Nova Filters | Water Softeners | The Villages Fl

And when you get it installed, remove the filter in your refrigerator. It is no longer needed but will grow bacteria over time if left in place. When you remove the filter, you may need a bypass plug - depends on the refrigerator.
Why discharge it outside? Is discharging it like washing mavhines into a waste water pipe prohibited?
Old 11-20-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsocrates View Post
Why discharge it outside? Is discharging it like washing mavhines into a waste water pipe prohibited?
Not prohibited to my knowledge but there usually isn't a waste water pipe close by.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
Not prohibited to my knowledge but there usually isn't a waste water pipe close by.
It is not prohibited, but you do need to install an air gap and a P-trap where you connect to the sewer pipe.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Hi —
Down to just a little two more weeks to closing and moving to TV! I understand water isn’t so good in Florida, and that many have some sort of filtration system. This is something I know nothing about. What is it? Where is it situated? What type of maintenance/upkeep would be required of me? This is something I would like to get the ball rolling with now - any referrals? Anything else I should know about the drinking water in TV? Thanks as usual for your helpful replies and suggestions. 😀
Don't waste your money on one of those 3 canisters water filtration system. The filter in the frig is plenty. You do however need a water softner system. The calcium is very high in this state and you will have calcium (white water spots) in your showers, dishwasher etc. Not to mention the calcium buildup will affect your heating elements whether using a tank or tankless system.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:47 PM
Veteran member
Wink Its already to late for a water filter

If your within 2 weeks of closing its already to late for a water filter. The real advise to all people visiting here is "Don't drink the water" > Why because its a well know fact that if you do drink the water , The Villages puts something in the water that encourages people to buy houses. Once you bought a house its too late and other than the "encouraging people to buy a house" the water is fine based on 15 + years living here. You can help others by telling them not to drink the water > but not many seem to listen.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
You don’t need any system, Florida water is fine.
Water is fine if (better or worse depending on where you live here) you don't like washing clothes, drinking, cooking & showering in sand (actually sediment) and the chlorine makes your water smell like a swimming pool. We are just North of 466A.

I love posting these photos of our "crystal clear" water. These are my usual before/after yearly filter replacement photos. While the water definately "meets or exceeds all Florida MINIMAL health standards for safe drinking water" this is what you inbibe and shower in and wash your clothes with. That being said, we do save about $40-$50 year on fridge filters so they have about 35% amortized the cost of the system since 2018

Not pushing a filter brand or company just showing what is in the water. Ooopps, gotta cough .... <COUGH> NOVA <COUGH>
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2021.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	95838   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2022.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	95839  
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Hi —
Down to just a little two more weeks to closing and moving to TV! I understand water isn’t so good in Florida, and that many have some sort of filtration system. This is something I know nothing about. What is it? Where is it situated? What type of maintenance/upkeep would be required of me? This is something I would like to get the ball rolling with now - any referrals? Anything else I should know about the drinking water in TV? Thanks as usual for your helpful replies and suggestions. 😀
I have read most of the comments - here’s mine: I’ve lived here 12 yrs, on my 3rd home. First two had colligan water systems, my current home just had eco water system put in. All three only use 1 tank and salt and it in the garage. The water here is very “hard” which leads to calcium build up in sinks, tubs, toilet. As far as drinking water all refrigerators come with filtered water and you change that filter as often as you think is necessary. I usually do it twice year.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:44 PM

It's not as bad as many people say it is. It's not Camp Lejeune for sure. I/we have no problem with the water taste or getting soap off in the shower. I'd just wait a minute like others have suggested. You will find that opinions in The Villages is like armpits. Everyone has a couple but they're all different.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Default Water Filtration

Highly recommend NOVA. Great price and great service to annually replace filter elements
Old 11-23-2022, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I purchased a home here that had a water softener system that was connected but not being used. I took it apart and installed a simple one filter system that cost me about a total of $50 in materials. I use a charcoal filter to get the chlorine smell and taste out of the water, as I come from a home that had good well water. I also have a filter in my refrigerator. When I change my whole house filter at about six months, it is covered in a thick brown coating that will get all over your hands and almost appears greasy. THAT is treated water! I don't have a set time period that I change my filters; I just change them when it appears that my water pressure is slowing, usually at about six plus months. I hate the smell of pool water for drinking in my home so I can appreciate a charcoal filter. The added benefit of filtering out whatever that messy brown stuff is, is a plus.

Tags
water, filtration, system, required, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.