A story about a local car dealer. Your story may be different.

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Founder
Default A story about a local car dealer. Your story may be different.

One of the more difficult things about moving to a new place is finding a car dealer you can count on. The old ones "up north" are a thing of the past.

It is time for us to trade cars. For years, I have driven Cadillac products, so we went to Sullivan in Ocala. After some considerable time with a salesman (who had been there only two weeks and would not stop talking) a man identifying himself as "The Sales Manager" came over and asked if we had driven the vehicle we were looking at. I said "no" that I didn't need too because I am very familiar with the product." He insisted that we have to drive it that we would "fall in love with the ride." I said, "I don't fall in love with the ride, I fall in love with the price." His response was "YOU ARE IN THE WRONG STORE."

My wife and I said, "oh, sorry," and we walked out the door. Because what we perceived as extreme arrogance, we will never again darken the door of Sullivan Cadillac. If any of our friends suggest that they are going there, we will relate this story.

Sullivan Cadillac is free to respond to this post. I hope they do. I would love to hear the rationale for the seeming arrogant attitude they have toward customers. Business must be very good at GM.

BTW, We went over the Ocala Lincoln/Mercury, got a great deal along with a great attitude and we take delivery of our new SUV today.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Sage
Default Re: A story about a local car dealer. Your story may be different.

Don't take your Ford Car to the Belleview Ford dealer for repairs. My mom had a water leak out of the top of the engine and after $2,000 got the car back and it still had the water leak. My son-in-law took a look at it and tightened a fitting and no water leak.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

I've always felt that one of the larger problems with American cars are the dealerships. I had an experience a while back where the dealership had a promotion going on where they would feed burgers or hotdogs to anyone buying that day. That was an immediate turnoff but I wanted to see a specific deal they were offering. You know the routine, the salesman has to run back and forth to his "manager", a practice which I will not be a part of. This situation became unbelievably tacky when the"manager" couldn't respond to the salesman because he was eating a hotdog and didn't want to be disturbed. On the way out, I told him what I thought of their operation and instead of showing some courtesy to me, he jumped on me verbally. A few years later, they were out of business.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Went to Blount Honda twice so far for service on our Element and Accord both times have been very pleasent.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Does anyone know of a reputable Toyota dealer? Not yet ready to purchase, but will be in the market for a new vehicle in a couple years.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Founder

I hope somebody calls Sullivan and tells them to read this post on TOTV
Old 10-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Eternal Member

Took my Dodge to Bill Bryan for normal service. They always found 'something'. I tried to get certain services ( A/C, tune-up) done so I would not get a huge bill. Always told me that is a 30,000 mile program. When 30,000 miles came, they wanted $1500. Told them to do the two best things. Had a oil leak. Took pictures of the garage floor. Showed them to them. They decided my battery was leaking (although there was no acid on the floor). They replaced the battery (that I had replaced a year from them before for a short) and told me that the warranty was only a year. So I paid. Bought the car back again for the same oil leak and they told me I had a leaking head gasket. Fortunate I had paid for the warranty when I bought the car so they had to pay for the head gasket. Were they ****ed!! Haven't been back since.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmickey
Does anyone know of a reputable Toyota dealer? Not yet ready to purchase, but will be in the market for a new vehicle in a couple years.
Mickey:
I have had a history of good dealings and great service in the 9 years I have been a customer of Phillips Toyota in Leesburg. I have bought 3 cars from them and never felt cheated. I try to get ideas about price and options before I go to shop from www.edmunds.com before I start. Service has been done quickly and they have never found any "hidden" problems. Their expanded servce facility gets you in and out very quickly for the scheduled recommended service. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Gold member

Seem like most complaints are about American car dealer and cars - I have no love for Detroit -maybe competition is a good thing - isnt it funny (in the early 40s) how we could land a fighter, at a speed of about 150 mph in a thyhon on a runway on TWO wheels ( oh maybe it was abs brake - but lets not give it to the public - too expensive) and Detroit could not stop my car from sliding sideway at 30 mph on a fairly dry road - then the matter of seat belts - if it wasn't for that guy ( i think is name is Nader) every pilot or some kid getting on the Cyclone in Coney Island wore a seat belt -- they had some lame brain - excuse like the public would not want to pay for them --- the cost would be too high well maybe Japan could do it and add a lot of extras for a cheaper price - everytime i think about some space ship going to some planet and sending pictures back for years and running robots for years with a battery about the size of my thumb nail - while i drive around with a 35 lb battery that only starts my car maybe four time a day --- and last about 4-5 years the rest of the time the elect is generated by the motor - not the battery ------ whose kidding who -- funny how we cant get the miles per gallon down -- i do think my old 57 Chev got about 12mpg and the new SUV probably get about the same 50 years latter ---- what no hurricanes !!!- to blame the price of oil to stay at over $80 --- maybe nobody will notice -- or we will think up some excuse like a brush fire in Kansans-- sure i know if we found a alternative fuel tomorrow the world economy would collaps and we would be back to the barter system i know Detroit does not deserves all the blame but bug business is Detroit sorry to vent - thanks for this web site - just saw on television a mother who downloaded a dozen songs found guilt and fined something like $9,000 a song Dont speed Big Brother is watching sorry i got off the track
Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdees
I've always felt that one of the larger problems with American cars are the dealerships.
A couple of years ago I read a survey in Consumer's that rated cars, and dealers. I had purchased a Toyota at the 2nd Toyota dealer I went to. The first ticked me off so bad I'd never consider returning. The article praised the Toyotas, it was rated as the best car at the time. The article also lambasted Toyota as the dealers were the least liked of all dealers.
My next car was a Honda, and my ONLY consideration when I've bought cars since was what kind of Honda will I get. Top notch car, topnotch service IMHO.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Steve -
I have had the same experience. Drove Hondas for years and never a problem. Always had great service. When my son was in college and needed a car I got him a Chevy because it was cheap. I relearned my lesson of you get what you pay for. Series of problems over the years with it. I now drive an Acura (made by Honda) and it has been great and the dealership superb.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704
Mickey:
I have had a history of good dealings and great service in the 9 years I have been a customer of Phillips Toyota in Leesburg. I have bought 3 cars from them and never felt cheated. I try to get ideas about price and options before I go to shop from www.edmunds.com before I start. Service has been done quickly and they have never found any "hidden" problems. Their expanded servce facility gets you in and out very quickly for the scheduled recommended service. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
THANKS Hancle! :bigthumbsup:
Old 10-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Mickey

Last April I purchased a new Toyota from Phillips Toyota in Leesburg and have been very happy with the deal and the service I got from them. This is the first toyota I ever purchased and I think Detroit should take some lessons. Good Luck on your next purchase
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Gold member

ZCAVEMAN WROTE--Fortunate I had paid for the warranty when I bought the car so they had to pay for the head gasket. Were they ****ed!! Haven't been back since.

The dealer shouldn't have been upset because you had a warranty. The dealer didn't pay to fix your car. The dealer gets paid for and makes a profit on 1.The parts that are used on your car. 2. The labor to fix the car. 3. The selling dealer made a profit on the warranty that you purchased. And you came out ahead because you purchased the warranty. Seems to me that it was a win win for both.

When you purchase a warranty you are buying an insurance policy against future repairs. The warranty is not from the dealer it is either from a private insurance company or in many cases from the manufacturer. For the dealer they win when you buy the warranty and they win when you use the warranty. If you don't use the warranty the dealer can't make a profit on the work.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.