Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We have GPS for our golf cart paths.

Home | The Villages GPS
Correct. GPS, or Villages GPS App and headlights until you learn your way around. Non-issue
Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Definitely don't drive a golf cart at night, until you've memorized the route by day. For me that only took two trips to learn the route from my Lifestyle visit home to Brownwood center, with the first trip having occured at night (learned my lesson and remembered exactly where I got lost, when I went back the next day to figure it out). It's not just the lights that's a problem. It's the fact that you're on a golf cart and not the street. It's easy to get turned around when you're dealing with going over and under and around the main road, when the thing you want is RIGHT THERE in front of you but you can't go there from here because you're on a golf cart path!

Where we live now in the north, they switched out the regular street lamps for LED lights and let me tell you - I might as well be driving with no lights at all. Those things are horrible. They're pin-points, and the luminescence is so bright it hurts your eyes - yet the light itself doesn't travel all the way to the pavement so you're still driving in almost pitch-black conditions. In the rain it's a hundred times worse because the light reflects upward from the water on the road, creating near-blinding conditions. Seeing street signs isn't too bad, if you're driving slower than the speed limit and squint right before you pass them.
Living in the north, north Villages or not a Village resident?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazuela
Where we live now in the north, they switched out the regular street lamps for LED lights.....

Got to agree with that. Back in UK they are changing to LED lights and the area illuminated is nothing like the good old amber glow lights we used to have, and as stated, when it rains visibility is further reduced by the road glare.
But they are a lot cheaper to run, and cost overides convenience, or choice.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Originally Posted by Jazuela
Where we live now in the north, they switched out the regular street lamps for LED lights.....

Got to agree with that. Back in UK they are changing to LED lights and the area illuminated is nothing like the good old amber glow lights we used to have, and as stated, when it rains visibility is further reduced by the road glare.
But they are a lot cheaper to run, and cost overides convenience, or choice.
This is not about street lights but The Villages recently did a renovation at Saddlebrook and in the room we use for art, the florescent lights have been replaced with newer and more effective round lights. I bet they are LED. Makes an incredible difference in seeing well there.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliedohan View Post
There is a real problem with street lighting. At night Street signs are not visible. Something must be done
Just get some of the tug boat, locomotives, airplane landing halogen headlights that turns night into day and blinds approaching vehicles. If they aren’t bright enough drive around with your high beams on. It that not enough get you one of the red neck jacked up pickup that lights shine up into the trees and really blind on coming traffic.
Closed Thread

Tags
street, night, lighting, signs, visible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.