Night Time Street Lighting very poor.

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Default Night Time Street Lighting very poor.

There is a real problem with street lighting. At night Street signs are not visible. Something must be done
Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliedohan View Post
There is a real problem with street lighting. At night Street signs are not visible. Something must be done
Contact the county you live in.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

One of the main problems is the trees overgrowing the existing street liights.
Major pruning, or removal of some of them would make the streets brighter. JMO.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 AM
Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliedohan View Post
You might want to have your eyes checked. As you age you need many times more light to see at night than you did when younger.

Obviously, a tinted windshield, a dirty windshield, scratched plexiglass, tinted or not on your golf cart all make it worse.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I am not pulling your leg or goofing around like I normally do. I had the exact same problem and understand where you're coming from.

First thing I did was apply RainX to my car immediately after a car wash and replaced the wipers with RainX Wipers. Then the same thing for the Golf Cart. Once the split window had to be put back up because of the freezing cold, (My Wife) I tried a different RainX for Acrylic Windows. It worked great, it removed many of the scratches and I thought I was all set, problem solved everything seemed so much brighter during the nighttime hours when I was struggling. It was great the first year but the next year I was good in the Car and No Good in the Cart.

Cataract removal on both eyes at Lake Eye did the trick. Talk about vivid. It's a new lease on seeing. I was and am stunned at the difference.

I don't think any town is going to change any of the Street Lights. Best of Luck to you.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
You might want to have your eyes checked. As you age you need many times more light to see at night than you did when younger.

Obviously, a tinted windshield, a dirty windshield, scratched plexiglass, tinted or not on your golf cart all make it worse.
I had the same issue. It is such a gradual thing sometimes, cataract growth and then I had trouble with street signs. I cannot tell you how much better I see them now that I have had my cataracts removed.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-14-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

I find the house numbers on the lamp post signs are very difficult to see at night. Lighted lamp post signs are very easy to see. It's a big help when there is at least one lighted lamp post sign on the street. That way you can sort of figure out which home you are looking for after dark.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Better to explore by cart during the daylight and know where we are going after dark. Cart lights aren't the best and the signs don't reflect off the lights.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Six weeks ago I reported the street lights out in a section along El Camino and guess what, THAY ARE STILL OUT.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Six weeks ago I reported the street lights out in a section along El Camino and guess what, THAY ARE STILL OUT.
If you did't report them to the power company that owns them, you wasted your time.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Who did you report it to? I had a problem with a street light in my neighborhood, communicated it to Duke Energy and they sent out a crew within a week to fix it. Our area is serviced by Duke.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 PM
Sage

Our street light had the globe blown askew by a strong wind and looked like it would crash to the ground. I forget who I called but it was fixed the next day.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Definitely don't drive a golf cart at night, until you've memorized the route by day. For me that only took two trips to learn the route from my Lifestyle visit home to Brownwood center, with the first trip having occured at night (learned my lesson and remembered exactly where I got lost, when I went back the next day to figure it out). It's not just the lights that's a problem. It's the fact that you're on a golf cart and not the street. It's easy to get turned around when you're dealing with going over and under and around the main road, when the thing you want is RIGHT THERE in front of you but you can't go there from here because you're on a golf cart path!

Where we live now in the north, they switched out the regular street lamps for LED lights and let me tell you - I might as well be driving with no lights at all. Those things are horrible. They're pin-points, and the luminescence is so bright it hurts your eyes - yet the light itself doesn't travel all the way to the pavement so you're still driving in almost pitch-black conditions. In the rain it's a hundred times worse because the light reflects upward from the water on the road, creating near-blinding conditions. Seeing street signs isn't too bad, if you're driving slower than the speed limit and squint right before you pass them.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Definitely don't drive a golf cart at night, until you've memorized the route by day. For me that only took two trips to learn the route from my Lifestyle visit home to Brownwood center, with the first trip having occured at night (learned my lesson and remembered exactly where I got lost, when I went back the next day to figure it out). It's not just the lights that's a problem. It's the fact that you're on a golf cart and not the street. It's easy to get turned around when you're dealing with going over and under and around the main road, when the thing you want is RIGHT THERE in front of you but you can't go there from here because you're on a golf cart path!
We have GPS for our golf cart paths.

Home | The Villages GPS

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-16-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
street, night, lighting, signs, visible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.