No ARC Approval makes $4,000 mistake

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts
Default No ARC Approval makes $4,000 mistake

According to the online Villages News a homeowner of a villa in Edgewater Bungalows must remove within 45 days her newly installed artificial grass lawn. The CDD 6 board voted 5-0 to have it removed or face $150 a day fine until it is brought back into compliance.

The home is in Edgewater Bungalows, her unit is two doors from the Waterfront Hotel overlooking Lake Sumter. She purchased the home in 2015 for $615,000. The owner Shirely Schwartz has appeared once before the District 6 board of Supervisors public hearing, and she said she is attempting one more issue before giving in. She said she's had over 100 cars and carts drive by the home and tell her how beautiful it looks. Unfortunately she never received ARC (Architectural Review Committee) approval before the installation.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 06-30-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Why would they object to it as it would save huge amounts of water?
Old 06-30-2020, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

It looks good now, but what will it look like in 5 years? Did she provide the names of the 100 people who said it was beautiful? I doubt it.

I priced it out 4 years ago for my house. I called ARC and they said no. Why should someone who broke the rules be treated differently?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-30-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
According to the online Villages News a homeowner of a villa in Edgewater Bungalows must remove within 45 days her newly installed artificial grass lawn. The CDD 6 board voted 5-0 to have it removed or face $150 a day fine until it is brought back into compliance.

The home is in Edgewater Bungalows, her unit is two doors from the Waterfront Hotel overlooking Lake Miona. She purchased the home in 2015 for $615,000. The owner Shirely Schwartz has appeared once before the District 6 board of Supervisors public hearing, and she said she is attempting one more issue before giving in. She said she's had over 100 cars and carts drive by the home and tell her how beautiful it looks. Unfortunately she never received ARC (Architectural Review Committee) approval before the installation.

The Villages Florida
Thanks for sharing this. I had often thought about doing something like this. We spend so much on irrigation to water the crumby grass. We, the community, spend a ton of money on trying to fight bugs, fungus and other things that kill or damage our lawns. We dump tons of toxic chemicals into the sewers and ground water to try to keep the lawns alive. And any attempt by home owners like this one, to promote a landscape that could save water, reduce chemical pollution or save money and improve curb appeal with less required maintenance get squashed. In the cyv's like the picture shows, I wonder what the reason is for not allowing it. Does it interfere with something? Or is it just the rule?
When we purchased our home we didn't know there was a grate covering a sewer/runoff drain in our yard. Since we bought new, it must have been cleared with the developer to cover it with old carpet and cover that with sod. After some time (well over a year) trying to deal with flooding in the low spot, I discovered what had been done to try and disguise this sewer to make the home more sellable. Still love our home, but.? I think that unless there is a real and demonstrable reason this artificial grass actually hurts in some real way, why not allow it or some viable option for making a landscape that looks good while saving water, eliminating the need for chemicals and reducing or eliminating constant maintenance. Just asking.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

By the photo - I think it looks great.

No mowing, no fertilizing, no irrigation, stays green, and dog poop would be readily pick-up-a-ble. A win-win-win-win-win. But no ARC OK...? shame. For you folks in the know - what are the current 'rules' re fake turf?

My son in Rendondo Beach CA, put in astroturf in place of his lawn in his backyard. a Win for him, and after 5 years - looks like new.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:33 PM
Platinum member

I think it looks beautiful and would be a great water saver. BUT, it is not approved by ARC and that' the bottom line. Everyone who has it should be made to remove it and the company selling it should know better than to sell it in The Villages and probably should be fined.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
I think it looks beautiful and would be a great water saver. BUT, it is not approved by ARC and that' the bottom line. Everyone who has it should be made to remove it and the company selling it should know better than to sell it in The Villages and probably should be fined.
I agree with raynan. It does look good. HOWEVER, is this homeowner “special” in some way that means they do not have to get ARC approval? You’re now living somewhere that has restrictions. Period. Get approval, or don’t do it.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,706 Posts

Welll... it looks artificial to me. I know the real stuff comes with a lot of problems but still it is real. I mean why not just pour concrete and paint it green?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Welll... it looks artificial to me. I know the real stuff comes with a lot of problems but still it is real. I mean why not just pour concrete and paint it green?
Also, not allowed.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Also, not allowed.
Yes I know, I was just sarcastic. It would also get hot and ugly and no drainage.

Which reminds me, Massey looked after my native palm tree on the front lawn and it has died after only 3 years. Every similar palm on my street is thriving. Should I buy an artificial one (someone is selling at this site) in its place and then not worry about Massey looking after it?

Last edited by Velvet; 06-30-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It looks good now, but what will it look like in 5 years? Did she provide the names of the 100 people who said it was beautiful? I doubt it.

I priced it out 4 years ago for my house. I called ARC and they said no. Why should someone who broke the rules be treated differently?

It will probably look the same, if not can easily be replaced.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:55 PM

I think you’re totally correct, fdpaq. It is a cost-effective and aesthetically pleasing upgrade. The grass around here is horrible.

Last edited by Fenster; 06-30-2020 at 11:59 PM. Reason: I wasnt clear.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 AM

It looks beautiful from the picture. I feel we should all have the option of doing that considering the price of watering. I find the bills to be outrageous considering what we used to pay in NJ. We are looking into doing the same thing as well as some of our neighbors. The type of grass here is very harsh so to have a lawn look like the one in the picture would be wonderful. They should allow her to keep it. For heavens sake, what is the problem.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:33 AM

Some of these homeowners associations have too much power and control over people and their homes. If I were her, I would fight this. I will not live where there is a homeowners association because of the control that they have. Too much time on their hands.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:34 AM

We drove by - Its only the front section of the villa and looks very nice. That's more cosmetic. Not sure how it would look to have a full lawn of it.
Unfortunately we have rules here and it's part of living in TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, bungalows, edgewater, arc, board

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.