No campaign signs allowed ???

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Right.....but at least with a television you can change the channel or turn it off.

What if a person is selling their house, and on all sides the neighbors have put bunches of Obama signs that have then been countered by three times as many Perry, Romney, Bachmann or Palin signs??

It would make me leery of buying in a neighborhood seemingly content with being at war like that.
Exactly, I really do not want to know my neighbor's political affiliations. There is no need for potential friction before you even get a chance to meet.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagegolfer View Post
Exactly, I really do not want to know my neighbor's political affiliations. There is no need for potential friction before you even get a chance to meet.
Indeed!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
There is a Home Owners Association here. They won't even let me keep my car on concrete blocks in the front yard so I can work on it once I get the time.
I thought this would be OK as long as one picks up the empty beer cans now and then.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagegolfer View Post
That's what I was thinking, too.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
I thought this would be OK as long as one picks up the empty beer cans now and then.
My question is this. How can you do that car work without a proper shade tree?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post

Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm not sure how accurate this is, I've had a Herbert Hoover sign in my yard for two years and nobody has said a word.........Ok course , no one talks to me so that could have some bearing on it........

Happy day are here again fumar............
Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
That's easy...get the little woman to hold an umbrella (and the beer can)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
That's easy...get the little woman to hold an umbrella (and the beer can)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Founder

Courts all across the land are ruling that local ordinances or prohibitions against political campaign signs or campaigning in general are unconstitutional. They've ruled that the American political process is the purest form of freedom of speech. The principal is that office seekers have a limited window in which to tell voters what they stand for and that local restrictions have a chilling effect on our representative form of government.

Think about it, no yard signs, no billboards, no television ads, no radio ads. How will we know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are? The voter cop-out is "they're all bad guys." We know that's not true. No door to door, no contact with the office seeker, how will we know who to vote for? How will we know who represents our own personal philosophies and morals and who doesn't?

In countries where there is no political process, there are dictators and ayatollahs running things.

Be careful about revelling too much in the fact that The Villages doesn't allow office seekers to contact the voters. Which do you want to do away with first, yard signs? Television commercials? Radio ads? Billboards? Bumper Stickers? Newspaper Ads? When was the last time you went to a town meeting to hear the candidates speak?

I've noticed that the developer has no problem bringing candidates inside the Villages boundries. You try it and see what happens.

Outlaw too many of our freedoms and we may end up with something that we didn't bargain for. I personally can put up with it for 90 days every two or four years. I feel it's my investment in our country.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Default Sorry TH, I disagree

In this case I must disagree with you TH. The rules were in place when people purchased here. If you can't abide by the rules that were in place when you purchased then you should move. Reminds me of a housing development being built in a farming community then the new development residents complaining about the smells and dust etc. associated with farming. Rules are in place for a reason and because of these rules and others like it is the major reason I purchased here. Sorry I can't agree with you on this one but to change this rule to appease the few is not what the majority wants or paid for.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Courts all across the land are ruling that local ordinances or prohibitions against political campaign signs or campaigning in general are unconstitutional. They've ruled that the American political process is the purest form of freedom of speech. The principal is that office seekers have a limited window in which to tell voters what they stand for and that local restrictions have a chilling effect on our representative form of government.

Think about it, no yard signs, no billboards, no television ads, no radio ads. How will we know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are? The voter cop-out is "they're all bad guys." We know that's not true. No door to door, no contact with the office seeker, how will we know who to vote for? How will we know who represents our own personal philosophies and morals and who doesn't?

In countries where there is no political process, there are dictators and ayatollahs running things.

Be careful about revelling too much in the fact that The Villages doesn't allow office seekers to contact the voters. Which do you want to do away with first, yard signs? Television commercials? Radio ads? Billboards? Bumper Stickers? Newspaper Ads? When was the last time you went to a town meeting to hear the candidates speak?

I've noticed that the developer has no problem bringing candidates inside the Villages boundries. You try it and see what happens.

Outlaw too many of our freedoms and we may end up with something that we didn't bargain for. I personally can put up with it for 90 days every two or four years. I feel it's my investment in our country.
if inane ads and signs are important to you and you feel important then make sure you live where they are allowed. im here because i dont want them !
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

I don't think it is political but just a restriction like cars in the yard.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
if inane ads and signs are important to you and you feel important then make sure you live where they are allowed. im here because i dont want them !
What's more important to me than your distain for our political process is that our men and women are fighting, being wounded and are dying, not only to protect our political process but also to allow other countries the opportunity to have this precious freedom.

If they are so objectionable to you, I suggest that it should be you who moves to a country where they are not allowed. I see that you don't even like my right to post my opinion because it differs from yours. Do you see a pattern developing here?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Think about it, no yard signs, no billboards, no television ads, no radio ads. How will we know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are?
Unfortunately, we don't know who the good guys and the bad guys are based on advertising. We just know who has the most money to spend on advertising. And, generally speaking, the more money to spend, the more "favors" they are going to owe if elected. Which is why we get "bridges to nowhere", and why Medicare will approve $70,000/yr nursing home care for someone who doesn't need full-time care but will not approve $8,000/yr for a part-time home health care worker. Until lobbyists are outlawed and we have serious campaign contribution reform, when election time comes we get to choose between the very corrupt and the not-quite-so corrupt. Unfortunately, the not-yet-corrupt generally doesn't have the funds to make it past the primaries.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.