No gas; really?

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I was reading my insurance policy and was supprised to find that if I kept a can of gas in the attached garage it voided my fire coverage I now store the gas for my mower outside or in a yard shed.
In the 70's I rented a house in Pensacola for a short while and noticed everything in the garage was new. The drywall, the garage door and the door to the house was all new on a house that was 30 years old. I asked the realtor about it and he said the previous tenant was cutting the grass and set the gas can in the garage without putting the cap back on. The flumes spread across the floor to the pilot light on the gas hot water heater and exploded. He said besides all the damage the folks lost their baby in the fire.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
.......I plan ahead and patronize the new station across 466 from Walmart.......
Can you get to that one in a golf cart?

Bill
Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Can you get to that one in a golf cart?

Bill
That's what I want to know. It's called Murphy Gas and I wish they would buy out Colony Shell.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default For those who have moved in since the gulf war(s)

there were many, many times gasoline in TV was not only in tight supply, there was none to be had!!!!!!!!
Sometimes one could drive to the stations on 301 on the way to Wildwood and sometimes all the way the cr44 and 301 to find gas.
One learns very quickly that if there is ever even a hint at a gas short supply or price going up substantially, the residents of TV enmass head to the station and top off eveything they own....every day.

Not exactly on topic but related enough to respond to "no gas...really?"

btk
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM

There is also the possibility that the state recently inspected the pumps and that they failed inspection, so they can't sell gas until (unless) repairs are made.

Of course if they stop selling gas, don't be surprised if the whole store doesn't eventually close. There was a store near where I live that for the longest time had the cheapest gas in the area. Suddenly they stopped selling gas, and not too long thereafter there was a For Lease sign in the window.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Default gas in the garage

Thats another reason for having a Electric golf cart, you don't have to store gas for you gas golf cart.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidam65 View Post
There is also the possibility that the state recently inspected the pumps and that they failed inspection, so they can't sell gas until (unless) repairs are made.

Of course if they stop selling gas, don't be surprised if the whole store doesn't eventually close. There was a store near where I live that for the longest time had the cheapest gas in the area. Suddenly they stopped selling gas, and not too long thereafter there was a For Lease sign in the window.
This station routinely runs out of gas. I was there a week or two ago and they were out of gas. A short time later when we came out of Publix the tanker was there. I waited awhile for the sediment to settle down, then went over and filled up the cart. In the future I'll just fill up when I'm in the Southern Trace area. It's a waste of time and gas to make futile trips to a station which often is out of gas.
Cheap has never been used to describe the gas at this station. It's always the most expensive in the area but it's the only place in the south end near Colony to buy gas.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Insurance coverage

I know that if a homeowner does something extraordinary to increase risk such as "cook meth" in their garage that they may void coverage but to suggest that a 5 gallon can of gas stored or even a cooking propane tank which I would not recommend you store in your garage won't void coverage. I make certain my gas tank is close to my garage door where it can gain access to ventillation and is away from any sort of iginition. Even if say, the husband, was cooking meth and the wife who also has ownership did not know that her husband was cooking meth the insurance company would have difficulty denying the wife's claim. I have an electric cart but mow my own lawn and so retain a small amount of gas. By the way I never charge my cart overnight and always make an attempt to check that the charger has disconnected before i rst my head on the pillow. finally I have not noticed a smell of gas in my garage.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Gold member

I have been storing gasoline in approved containers in my garage for more than 40 years without a problem. I also have a gas water heater in the garage (that has a pilot flame). If you are smelling gas in your garage the container is faulty. The same applies to your golf cart or automobile tank and fuel systems. You should not be smelling gas when the vehicle engine is off. I keep the gas cans near the garage door on the oposite side of the garage from the gas water heater. Gasoline and stupid are never a good mixture. By the way, electric golf cart batteries produce hydrogen gas which I believe is explosive at 3%. I would be more concerned about charging systems and battery gas than a can of gasoline when it comes to fire hazards. Respect hazardous materials but no reason to fear them if you know how to properly handle and store them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.