No gas; really?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Default No gas; really?

The gas station at Colony has had it pumps shut off for two days now. They say their tanks are empty. Really? Both regular and high-test? What's really going on? Maybe they haven't had time to change the prices --upward -- since the Lybia mess has kicked oil up to 100 a barrel. For those of us with gasoline carts liiving near 466A, this station is closest. What a disservice. Does anybody know what's up?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Founder

Sometimes these gas stations are on a "cash only" basis. If they don't have the cash, they don't get the gas. Compounding that, the gas is delivered to then at the new higher price.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It's happened before. Odds are the new owner couldn't pay for the gas and, thus, no delivery. At least that's been the case when previous owners were out of gas.

You're better off getting a 10-gallon gas can and keeping it in your garage. Fill at Sam's Club or the new station across from Wal-Mart on 466 -- they have the cheapest gas around.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Shell

I agree they're probably on cash or bank check. since most people use credit cards there has to be a cash flow problem. Yes it is convienent but if you need gas 466 isn't that far. And when you get over 200 miles per tank I guess one trip to 466 isn't that bad. One night to diner or the 3rd Friday to crispers and gas on the way back.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Check your insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
It's happened before. Odds are the new owner couldn't pay for the gas and, thus, no delivery. At least that's been the case when previous owners were out of gas.

You're better off getting a 10-gallon gas can and keeping it in your garage. Fill at Sam's Club or the new station across from Wal-Mart on 466 -- they have the cheapest gas around.
I was reading my insurance policy and was supprised to find that if I kept a can of gas in the attached garage it voided my fire coverage I now store the gas for my mower outside or in a yard shed.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
BOMBERO
Default Think it over.....

Quote:

and maybe ask the FIRE DEPT. or Code Enforcement people. I have heard a single gallon of gasoline is equal to 6 sticks of dyamite. I have two gas carts and have no gas in my garage. I have driven my carts to 7 gas stations here and there are still 6 you can go to. Faithful Frank- what do you say about this ?

Be safe!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Hey, I'm paranoid. There is no way I would have a gas can in my garage, but I know several people that do and are quite comfortable doing so, so unless your insurance voids it, I'd go with what is comfortable for you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Your insurance company does not void your policy if you have a gas can in your garage. Think about it. Which is worse, having two cars in there each holding 20 to 25 gallons each for a total of 40 plus, and a cart with 6 gallons. Or a 5 gallon gas can.

When I built my shed, 12 X 16, and called my agent to add it for coverage. He went through the "sheds are dangerous" routine about storing paint and gas and all kinds of dangerous things so the premiums would be high. Until I reminded him where those things were without a shed. In my attached garage. He backed off and claimed he would have to check. Turns out it was covered for zero increase.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Not only a dis-service but a little bit of

gouging!!!! How do they get away with the high price...sometimes 20 cents a gallon more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
The gas station at Colony has had it pumps shut off for two days now. They say their tanks are empty. Really? Both regular and high-test? What's really going on? Maybe they haven't had time to change the prices --upward -- since the Lybia mess has kicked oil up to 100 a barrel. For those of us with gasoline carts liiving near 466A, this station is closest. What a disservice. Does anybody know what's up?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=l2ridehd;333134]Your insurance company does not void your policy if you have a gas can in your garage. Think about it. Which is worse, having two cars in there each holding 20 to 25 gallons each for a total of 40 plus, and a cart with 6 gallons. Or a 5 gallon gas can.

I don't have as much confidence in a cheap can I bought at Wal-Mart compared to the technology of my car. If the can should leak any fumes, the gargage door opener may set it off. That's the reason I keep a gallon can for my power washer on my lanai. I used to keep an extra gal. of gas in the saddlebag of my bike which came in handy on many long rides to remote areas. I hated opening the bag though and experiencing the strong smell of gas. Never had much faith leaving that can in the garage. It was one of those red gas cans that are sold everywhere. I never have smelled fumes from the bike or car though.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:

You're better off getting a 10-gallon gas can and keeping it in your garage.
Red, a gallon of gas weighs about 6 lb. A 60 lb. can a fuel would be very difficult, if not impossible to pour into a golf cart without making a huge, dangerous mess.
You could do it with a 5 gal. can but even that could be difficult for alot of people.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Why

Why do you need to keep gas in the garage? Why take a chance? The gas cart goes a longggg way before it needs gas. People bitch about how hot the garage gets in the hot weather. The can expands lets off fumes, how many people open the trap doors to the attic and let the attic fans take the heat out. God forbid you have a fire in that garage your toast. Don't take a chance. It's not that far to 466. Hopefully when the other side opens there will be enough traffic to keep the Colony Shell in buisness. Till then if there's no gas there go to 466 for gas,diner or dunkin donuts or whatever. No big deal your retired.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Platinum member

What kind of gas station is it? When we made our cross-country drive to The Villages in 2008 almost every Shell station had plastic bags over the nozzles with 'No Gas' signs. We quit trying for Shell gas by the time we got to the IlliInditucky area.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Gas Cans may be a Good Idea

With the unrest in the Middle East and the current policy forbidding obtaining crude from the Gulf, there is a very real possibility of gasoline shortages in the near future. New gasoline containers are safe and nearly spill proof. I suggest you go to Amazon and look for CARB compliant gas cans. You can get these in 1.25, 2.5 and 5 gallon size from Amazon. These new cans have a liner that slows gasoline degrading.

This may sound paranoid, but I remember all too well the gas lines/shortages of the late '70s. Having ten or even twenty extra gallons of gas on hand may not be a bad thing. Heed bluedog's caution. Don't buy cans that will be too heavy to handle.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Someone needs to shutter that place. They are always (apparently when they have gas) much higher than anywhere else. Unfortunately those of us near 466A are hostage to their highway robbery, but without a golf cart problem I plan ahead and patronize the new station across 466 from Walmart. The hierarchy of the villages retail leasing should shut them down as they are a disservice to villages residents, not a provider.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.