No Guest ID For Friends from Lake County

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Default No Guest ID For Friends from Lake County

We have really good friends who live in Leesburg and want to invite them to spend the day with us. We want to spend some time at our adult pool, but I just looked at the qualifications for a guest ID and see that if they live in Lake, Marion or Sumter Counties and are not a close relative, they cannot get a guest ID. What can we do?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Platinum member
Default Home Pool

I know it's disappointing, but there is sound reasoning behind the ruling. Even being a close relative does not count, only those relatives specifically spelled out in the qualifications for the In-Area Guest Card.

This may be one of the reasons many Villagers put in their own pools. I know some who opted for a home pool for this very reason.

As for something else to do, cooking out and hanging out might be just the ticket.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Last edited by dillywho; 06-02-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I know it's disappointing, but there is sound reasoning behind the ruling.

And the sound reasoning is _____________________________.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
And the sound reasoning is _____________________________.

You can ask about the reasoning when the residents here are allowed to bring all their friends from all the aforementioned surrounding counties to all the facilities and you can't get in even though you live here and pay all the fees which they do not.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Sage

Son of the Berlin Wall.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM

chuck, I often find myself in agreement with your thinking, and judging by the places listed in your life's residences, I certainly respect your military service to our country, but I'm not with you on this one.

I'm thinking that dillywho hit the sound reasoning button pretty solidly.

And dillywho didn't even mention the wear/tear, damage, and maintenance issues that result from non-resident area guests who pay nothing towards costs related to those issues.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Veteran member

Why not guest fees? Say a day pass at $15 per should cover as we pay about $4 through our amenity fees per household.

Or if anybody remebers the M.A.S.H. episode of getting the Officer's club for Officers and relatives when Hawkeye starts to introduce everubody as Uncle this and cousin that......

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcneill View Post
chuck, I often find myself in agreement with your thinking, and judging by the places listed in your life's residences, I certainly respect your military service to our country, but I'm not with you on this one.

I'm thinking that dillywho hit the sound reasoning button pretty solidly.

And dillywho didn't even mention the wear/tear, damage, and maintenance issues that result from non-resident area guests who pay nothing towards costs related to those issues.
GMcN,

I totally agree.

Folks from the surrounding counties are able to go to the squares, restaurants, movie theatres and rec centers ONLY where they are attending meetings open to the general public (such as a cancer survivors support group).

Hedo -

The thought of a guest pass was raised previously. The problem with it is the cost of effectively administering the collection of the fees and the issuance of cards. I don't think that a reasonable fee - such as the $15 you propose - would come near to covering these costs.

JMO,

Kate
Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 AM

OK...but what about a limited number of passes for these individuals. Since we have only one couple with whom we are friends with that live in any of the local counties (and we knew them before we moved here), I didn't realize that so many people here were friends with individuals who lived outside TV. If TV can limit grandkids and others to visits of no more than 30 days, then why can't the limit Lake, Marion, Sumter people to a limit of 10 or 15 visits during the year? Sounds like a viable solution to me.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Default visitors

If you are so hell bent on seeing these friends in a pool surrounding, then go to their development and use their pool. We in the Villages are being crowded out of enough activities and don't need additional wear and tear on the facilities that we pay for. Fifteen dollars would not be enough to pay for the displacement of Villagers by these so called "guests." In fact no sum of money would be sufficient compensation considering what is a quality of life issue for those of us who chose to live in TV.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

This is just my 'suspecting', but perhaps another reason for this rule, and why it probably won't be changed like it or not, is from a business/marketing standpoint; to encourage people not to just move (or keep living) near The Villages, in perhaps less expensive neighborhoods, and then be able to use The Villages' amenities through being a Villager's guest, but to encourage them to actually move to The Villages, themselves. To me, it would be painful to live near The Villages and have to miss out on so much of the goings on - 'eyes pressed up against the windowpane'.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 06-03-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
If you are so hell bent on seeing these friends in a pool surrounding, then go to their development and use their pool. We in the Villages are being crowded out of enough activities and don't need additional wear and tear on the facilities that we pay for. Fifteen dollars would not be enough to pay for the displacement of Villagers by these so called "guests." In fact no sum of money would be sufficient compensation considering what is a quality of life issue for those of us who chose to live in TV.

WOW...how rude!! Do you think you and those who live in the Villages are so far above everyone else??? That my friends would affect your quality of life??? I am so glad that we met so many other people who live here who are accepting and friendly and that you are in the minority.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Didn't you read all the "Rules", restrictions, etc., when you purchased your home? You were given copies of them.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

With my occasional reading here on TOTV by residents complaining about overcrowding at pools, restaurants, health clubs or wherever, why should the situation be exasperated by opening the doors of access to the greater area around TV to that which most of us (if not all) currently pay $1620.00 annually to have and and have maintained. IMHO TV has it right when it comes to drawing the line on over-extension or over-saturation of resources, which is a whole lot more than I can say for the federal government's spending habit!

On the other hand, is there no room for extending the possibilities when it is for the benefit of some who pay those very fees? Are there not options possible that have not yet been mentioned, or at least I haven't read them yet, that wouldn't make any substantial expansion of the operational expenses? For example, providing for a guest pass for a fee to cover administration costs that has similar restrictions as imposed on children... 30 days max per year! The system for that is already in place and would only need a second class for the pass with the only real difference being the fee involved.

Another is for the aforementioned 30 day pass to be available only during the summer season where the locals could play when the snow birds are away... in a limited way of course. This could benefit some "resident only access" local businesses that have a slump in receipts during the off season. I'm sure that others could come up with even more feasible ideas!

Now some residents could have a cold no-way Jose attitude toward any tri-county outsider access ideas while others have an anything should go mindset that dismisses any expense by or sense of fairness to other residents. But like the old "the truth lies somewhere in between" adage about statements of conflicting opinion, there must be a "somewhere in-between solution" that can be fair and reasonable without catering to the whims of any extreme ideas or positions. After all, isn't it every amenity fee payers quality of lifestyle that's important?
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Nicely said SkyGuy.

We are new to TV and are doing our best to learn all the rules and regs. It always amazes me how the most innocent questions on this forum can bring out the ugliest of responses. Sometimes it is hard to believe that this is "Florida's FRIENDLIEST hometown"!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.