Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Things are fine the way they are.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
Nicely said SkyGuy.

We are new to TV and are doing our best to learn all the rules and regs. It always amazes me how the most innocent questions on this forum can bring out the ugliest of responses. Sometimes it is hard to believe that this is "Florida's FRIENDLIEST hometown"!
Thanks! As far as "Florida's FRIENDLIEST hometown," I was only was there for closing and stayed two months before heading back north for the summer and I truly believe that they are the friendliest dispite the very few "yesterdays tossed tomatoes" that may reside there!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
If you are so hell bent on seeing these friends in a pool surrounding, then go to their development and use their pool. We in the Villages are being crowded out of enough activities and don't need additional wear and tear on the facilities that we pay for. Fifteen dollars would not be enough to pay for the displacement of Villagers by these so called "guests." In fact no sum of money would be sufficient compensation considering what is a quality of life issue for those of us who chose to live in TV.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Nicely said SkyGuy.

We are new to TV and are doing our best to learn all the rules and regs. It always amazes me how the most innocent questions on this forum can bring out the ugliest of responses. Sometimes it is hard to believe that this is "Florida's FRIENDLIEST hometown"!
PKlein,

While I happen to agree with Whatever, I do feel things could be said without the rudeness.

One huge difference between visits of friends vs. children/grandchildren is that the latter CAN'T live here. Your friends (unless they have young kiddos) could have chosen to live here.

I stated earlier that I felt a $15 fee would not cover our costs. I hope you and your friends can visit the squares and enjoy the entertainment - and maybe you can visit the pool in their community.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Smile

OTE=Whatever;359343]If you are so hell bent on seeing these friends in a pool surrounding, then go to their development and use their pool. We in the Villages are being crowded out of enough activities and don't need additional wear and tear on the facilities that we pay for. Fifteen dollars would not be enough to pay for the displacement of Villagers by these so called "guests." In fact no sum of money would be sufficient compensation considering what is a quality of life issue for those of us who chose to live in TV.[/QUOTE]

spot on,I'm also are sick of people who want to change one little thing and then another after that it becomes never ending.If they don't like the rules move it's as simple as that.or charge enough to recover costs like 30 to fifty a person per day.Go and see what it would cost to do things at a facility that charges it is not 15 a day it cost 10 bucks a hour to shoot pool at a pool hall.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
If you are so hell bent on seeing these friends in a pool surrounding, then go to their development and use their pool. We in the Villages are being crowded out of enough activities and don't need additional wear and tear on the facilities that we pay for. Fifteen dollars would not be enough to pay for the displacement of Villagers by these so called "guests." In fact no sum of money would be sufficient compensation considering what is a quality of life issue for those of us who chose to live in TV.
I don't think Whatever is trying to be rude. I think he is just a person who believes in "plain speaking". I know many residents that have tried to attend popular activities and they've been full ... especially in snowbird season when there are lots of guests, renters and lifestyle previews. I think a resident can be hospitable and entertain local guests in their homes and at the town squares.

As Bogie Shooter says, things are fine the way they are now.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Sage

Charging a high enough fee to open limited access to tri-county residents might cover the costs, but wouldn't doesn't solve the problem of overcrowding. It would make the problem worse.

If buying in a community "near the Villages" entitled me to everything TV had to offer, strictly on a pay-as-you-go basis, that would be a great deal for me-- and a raw deal for Villagers who pay the home bond, monthly amenities fee and annual maintenance but faced more overcrowding and reduced use of the facilities they pay for.

The fact that TV is not overcrowded in the summer is great for Villagers. Reduced access to our amenities in the summer too is not something I'm praying for.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

You stated it just perfectly, Pturner. Exact way I feel.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is sad that one Lifestyle Visit cannot show all the ins and outs of TV. It makes me feel bad when people move here expecting to be happy and find that the CDD form of government is not quite the democratic way that things were run in the old neighborhood, and that the predominant political climate and preference towards certain speakers and non hospitality toward others by the owners of the development corporation is not what they feel comfortable with.

I personally am o.k. with it. I have given the changing of the world and the details of it to others. I am used to a Republican paper growing up in Ohio. I think that the plan that we have and the way things are here are fine. I have lived with deed restrictions for the last 40 years. It is what it is....and although not perfect, it feels just right for the G's.

I just wish that someone would write a book and say that the final say goes to the developers. That the paper is not one to publish much that would cast a bad light on the community. That you can't park your boat or camper on your property for more than 24 hours and have a family of gnomes in the front yard. You can't put a for sale sign in your yard south of 466 and you can't hear a prominent Democrat speaking at the square.

I suggest to all of you who have not moved here to get a copy of the deed restrictions and read every post on TOTV, because me, Grace Helene, I want you to be happy here.

I really do.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Charging a high enough fee to open limited access to tri-county residents might cover the costs, but wouldn't doesn't solve the problem of overcrowding. It would make the problem worse.

If buying in a community "near the Villages" entitled me to everything TV had to offer, strictly on a pay-as-you-go basis, that would be a great deal for me-- and a raw deal for Villagers who pay the home bond, monthly amenities fee and annual maintenance but faced more overcrowding and reduced use of the facilities they pay for.

The fact that TV is not overcrowded in the summer is great for Villagers. Reduced access to our amenities in the summer too is not something I'm praying for.
You nailed it, PT.

I believe the developer planned the community so rec facilities, especially golf and pools, would support the community. I am not sure how delicate the balance may be, but if the rules were changed to allow unlimited guests I am betting we would not be happy with the results.

I, for one, read and understood the rules prior to buying. Those same rules are one of the reasons I found The Villages attractive. I sincerely hope they do not start chipping away at them by making exceptions. I have seen it happen in other communities with poorly managed HOA's. The results were not pretty.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Gold member

Last year I was in a foursome that included a guy that lives in Dell Webb on 441/27 about 8 miles North of The Villages. I asked him what kind of shape the courses up there were in? His answer was that he didn't know because he always and only plays the Championship courses in The Villages. When he checked in I saw that he had a guest pass. Now before you ask how he did that I later asked him if he was a full time resident of Dell Webb and he said no that he lives up North as well. So this means that he had an out of state ID and can get a guest pass for here.

All I could think about was this is perhaps one of those guys who says you can get more home outside of The Villages but was enjoying our ammenties. I knew he was working the system and it was working for him. I feel that the system we have works ok not great.

But I for one don't want to put more and more rules in The Villages than we than we already have. The system has been well thought out. Yes it could be tweeked but where would it stop. I have a friend who moved into an older community in the Tampa area. This is a condo cumminity and they have so many crazy rules it would amaze you. I personally don't want this place to end up like my friends place a rule crazy community.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Last year I was in a foursome that included a guy that lives in Dell Webb on 441/27 about 8 miles North of The Villages. I asked him what kind of shape the courses up there were in? His answer was that he didn't know because he always and only plays the Championship courses in The Villages. When he checked in I saw that he had a guest pass. Now before you ask how he did that I later asked him if he was a full time resident of Dell Webb and he said no that he lives up North as well. So this means that he had an out of state ID and can get a guest pass for here.

All I could think about was this is perhaps one of those guys who says you can get more home outside of The Villages but was enjoying our ammenties. I knew he was working the system and it was working for him. I feel that the system we have works ok not great.

But I for one don't want to put more and more rules in The Villages than we than we already have. The system has been well thought out. Yes it could be tweeked but where would it stop. I have a friend who moved into an older community in the Tampa area. This is a condo cumminity and they have so many crazy rules it would amaze you. I personally don't want this place to end up like my friends place a rule crazy community.
Somebody in TV is helping him "work the system". That is sad.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Platinum member

A small (I hope) story to expand on this subject:

A while ago, the AAC (Amenities Advisory Council, or whatever) who are charged with adminstering the amenity fees, reluctantly approved a six-month trial period allowing non-Villagers to attend meetings of non-funded medically-oriented support groups at Villages facilities, provided they were no more than 10% of each meeting's attendance.

There were many, many harsh words during hearings on this proposal ["They'll swarm over us," "They're out to take over our facilities," "We can't set any precedent allowing outsiders in," etc.]

After the inital trial period, statistics maintained by my particular support revealed: 144 visits by outsiders; accummulated by 8 outsiders; no one ever questionned their attendance.

But, the swimming pools are probably the biggest attraction for so-called outsiders. There, I can see placing limits.

The subject of outsiders using Villages facilities/amenities has been on-going since before I came here. Many of the older residents remain adamently opposed to letting any one other than immediate family to take advantage of our recreational facilities; the newer residents are "more accommodating."

As many of you know, my brother and his family live off campus in Marion County. They frankly have no interest in our amenities, being happy with their own. That said, one of their first demands when I moved here was, "We must go to Katie Belle's." So, I took them as my guests. We were all so disappointed in the evening that they've never asked to go again, and I've never suggested it to them!

SWR
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
WOW...how rude!! Do you think you and those who live in the Villages are so far above everyone else??? That my friends would affect your quality of life??? I am so glad that we met so many other people who live here who are accepting and friendly and that you are in the minority.
Don't be so sure that he is in the minority....Most of my neighbors feel the same way.........If you don't think so , the next time your at a neighborhood party , bring up the subject and you'll be surprized...........

fumar
Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
A small (I hope) story to expand on this subject:

A while ago, the AAC (Amenities Advisory Council, or whatever) who are charged with adminstering the amenity fees, reluctantly approved a six-month trial period allowing non-Villagers to attend meetings of non-funded medically-oriented support groups at Villages facilities, provided they were no more than 10% of each meeting's attendance.

There were many, many harsh words during hearings on this proposal ["They'll swarm over us," "They're out to take over our facilities," "We can't set any precedent allowing outsiders in," etc.]

After the inital trial period, statistics maintained by my particular support revealed: 144 visits by outsiders; accummulated by 8 outsiders; no one ever questionned their attendance.

But, the swimming pools are probably the biggest attraction for so-called outsiders. There, I can see placing limits.

The subject of outsiders using Villages facilities/amenities has been on-going since before I came here. Many of the older residents remain adamently opposed to letting any one other than immediate family to take advantage of our recreational facilities; the newer residents are "more accommodating."

As many of you know, my brother and his family live off campus in Marion County. They frankly have no interest in our amenities, being happy with their own. That said, one of their first demands when I moved here was, "We must go to Katie Belle's." So, I took them as my guests. We were all so disappointed in the evening that they've never asked to go again, and I've never suggested it to them!

SWR
And the problem is ??????????

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.