The NO-MASK thing was fun...while it lasted

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2021, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I suggest you do some reading on the subject. al-Jazeera has some good coverage regarding the reasons behind the demonstrations, particularly in Europe. Much of it is concern over the risks of the vaccines, primarily it is about what comes along with the mask and vaccine mandates; inevitable social distancing, "green passes" (or "vaccine passports" as we call them over here), limitations on the size of gatherings, downsizing the number of people who can be in a business at any one time, you name it.

In essence, this is a revolt against external controls that, rightly or wrongly, people believe just aren't needed, given the ancillary damage to businesses, economies, and lives that the controls cause.
al-Jazeera????? Don't even mention that name in my presence. I lost 2 high school classmates on 9/11/01, my brother and nephew were nearby, another friend was almost hit by a jumper. WE MUST NEVER FORGET!!!

And al-Jazeera can go F*** itself
Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
al-Jazeera????? Don't even mention that name in my presence. I lost 2 high school classmates on 9/11/01, my brother and nephew were nearby, another friend was almost hit by a jumper. WE MUST NEVER FORGET!!!

And al-Jazeera can go F*** itself
People should try a few of the English-language newspaper websites of some of the European capitals and other major cities. They all have them. The Sydney Morning Herald provides some interesting ongoing coverage as well. Most of them, including al-Jazeera, provide information and in-depth coverage on the anti-mask and -vaccine rallies, and the reasons behind them, that we just don't get over here. In particular, a line from today's edition of the Sydney Morning Herald about the reasons for the demonstrations, at least in the some-dozen places in Australia where they are taking place, sums it up briefly and succinctly: "Let us think for ourselves".

Impugning the messenger because one doesn't like the message does not add anything of substance to the discussion.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Blame the rise in Covid on the immigrants? No basis in reality. Another hate mongering Fox news ploy. A Texas politician tried the same reasoning. Facts don't back it up. Texas is way behind other big states in vaccinations of residents. Only 42% of Texans are vaccinated compared to 52% in California and 55% in NY. According to FEMA, less than 6% of Covid tests of immigrants at the US-Mexico border had come back positive, lower than the overall positivity rate in Texas.
Absolutely no logic in this response…none
Old 07-28-2021, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
We must blame somebody.
Snowbirds??
Seniors??
Spring breakers??
Children??
blame me! i'm used to it,
Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
This, according to CDC and other "knowledgeable" scientists would not even be happening if it weren't for the multitudes of people who don't intend to or haven't been vaccinated. I have yet to hear a good reason for this.
Friend; i am unvaxxed, i was also negative for the virus. it appears some of us will not be affected by covid- i'm not even a carrier! before we go around lynching people for their decisions, let's look @ all sides.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
People should try a few of the English-language newspaper websites of some of the European capitals and other major cities. They all have them. The Sydney Morning Herald provides some interesting ongoing coverage as well. Most of them, including al-Jazeera, provide information and in-depth coverage on the anti-mask and -vaccine rallies, and the reasons behind them, that we just don't get over here. In particular, a line from today's edition of the Sydney Morning Herald about the reasons for the demonstrations, at least in the some-dozen places in Australia where they are taking place, sums it up briefly and succinctly: "Let us think for ourselves".

Impugning the messenger because one doesn't like the message does not add anything of substance to the discussion.
I will "impugn" al-Jazeera and that part of the world EVERY CHANCE I GET. But that's just my personal feelings. I find the BBC to be reasonable. Yet, I am still unclear what world anti-mask protests have to do with anything
Old 07-28-2021, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Mask companies must be hurting.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Mask companies must be hurting.
Are PPE manufacturers the new "military-industrial complex"????
Old 07-28-2021, 07:36 AM
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I fully expect us, here in The Villages and much of the U.S. to go back to "masking up" indoors yet again. The new variant is surging rapidly according to the data, esp here in Florida. Here we go again.

1. We are fully Moderna vaccinated and would absolutely get a booster when available.
2. The only times we HAD to 'mask up' indoors in the last few months was a) in the doctor's office b) on the airplanes.
3. I am still furious that China got away with starting this whole matter. I'll leave it as that.

Are YOU ready to go back to the future with Covid??? grrrr.
Pointing fingers doesn't resolve... we need less attention going that way. Nothing was done on purpose. If we dig deep enough we have plenty going on in this country that is similar. ie. Food contamination, soil , water contamination from Power Plants... chemicals in our food that are toxic, meds that are recalled. So Lets concentrate on Resolve and Solve with what WE can control. We can control if we ALL got vaccinated ... that is how Polio got irradiated. It was also monitory. So this is not new to us. As you, vaccinated and booster welcomed. For the people who don't want to be vaccinated, that is what needs to be Resolved so it will Solve this on going problem. I do respect there choice, but this is for the good of ALL not the One. That is the only way to correct this issue. Masks... Yes and proud to wear it... it will be on going for a long long time.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
Friend; i am unvaxxed, i was also negative for the virus. it appears some of us will not be affected by covid- i'm not even a carrier! before we go around lynching people for their decisions, let's look @ all sides.
Good point.

I had the bug last fall. Not exactly fun but I've had worse (far worse) bouts from the flu. I also subsequently was vaccinated, the reason being that I did not want some arbitrary rules and regulations lurking around the corner to prevent me from seeing my family, most of whom live in Minnesota.

I personally do not feel threatened in the least when encountering unvaccinated folks. If they feel threatened by me, then I fully support their right to protect themselves in any manner possible, that does not infringe upon my rights or the rights of others.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

We let our all-knowing gooberment ban workers from working, to protect them from a manufactured disease that only kills retired people, so why wouldn't we force old folks who are now immune to wear masks so they don't infect the youngsters who were never at risk of dying from the disease in the first place?

If you had trouble following that, welcome to the land of the sane!

Sorry, though -- you might trouble have adjusting to this new country we still insist on labeling the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave".
Old 07-28-2021, 07:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I will "impugn" al-Jazeera and that part of the world EVERY CHANCE I GET. But that's just my personal feelings. I find the BBC to be reasonable. Yet, I am still unclear what world anti-mask protests have to do with anything
Anti-mask...anti-vaccine...anti - social distancing: pick your reason. But the bottom line is that people are rebelling against CONTROL. More specifically, controls that are seen as arbitrary, unneeded and an infringement on basic freedoms.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

If you want to get rich, start a PCP testing facility!
Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
I wonder how many of the 39,000 currently hospitalized today and the 300 who will transfer today from the hospital to the mortuary felt exactly the same way.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Anti-mask...anti-vaccine...anti - social distancing: pick your reason. But the bottom line is that people are rebelling against CONTROL. More specifically, controls that are seen as arbitrary, unneeded and an infringement on basic freedoms.
Sorry, I'm probably more conservative than you are, but I just can't see this as an infringement on our "rights". And if you don't think we are already "controlled", think again, like every time you get behind the wheel of a car, or plan a trip out of the country, or decide not to pay your taxes
Closed Thread

Tags
back, indoors, fully, office, future

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.