No more Entertainment at the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2020, 07:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniess View Post
Since the challengers are running as a slate, I reasonably assume that they will vote as a block on the commission and their vote will not be in the interest of the Villagers' benefits. A priority will be a certain "pet project".
You assume wrong. And that's the point of new commissioners! As it stands now, the vote is ALWAYS 5 to 0 and NEVER in the interest of The Villagers. I don't know if you noticed but the incumbents are now running as a block as well. So there is that.

As to the shelter. We are the only County Shelter in Florida that doesn't allow volunteers. Why? If we had volunteers it would save the county a ton of money. People have offered to help in the meetings. We could save more animals and get them back home with volunteers. But then if we had volunteers we would have known about the dog that was recently left in the truck to die with the heat on. We asked for those records from the county three times before we got them all. The first time they said there were NO records. We let them know we KNEW and they started feeding us the records a little at a time. Oh... and a supervisor had to resign or be fired because she refused to sweep it under the rug. Yes! I have the documents to prove all of this.

Or the little dog that fell out of the truck and they denied picking up the dog until it came out there was a camera outside the house that recorded the whole event. They got lucky and the dog was found later.

Or the five dogs that were killed with their surgical collars on one even had an adopter on the way to pick her up. the person who had to kill them had just been promoted and quit because it affected her so much. (Yes, I have the text from her )

We need Shelter Reform at our county shelter. It would save us money and save our pets.

Have you seen the videos I posted in here of how the commissioners treat the residents?

Again, you know who I am, who are you? A commissioner? A developer?

It's time we take our county back Roll back the 25% Tax increase and vote for commissioners who care about US!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:23 AM

I'm not a commissioner or developer. I am a resident who bought a home here to enjoy the available benefits and amenities during my retirement in TV. My goal in life is not to save all unwanted animals. I recognize that the current commissioners sometimes behave rudely to residents who oppose them at board meetings. However, I believe that working with the developer to make The Villages a better place for most of us is in our best interest and in the interest of thousands of employees who support our comfortable retirement lifestyle. Your insinuation that I am a commissioner or developer indicates that at least one of the challengers will also be disrespectful to opposing residents if he is elected to the commission.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniess View Post
I'm not a commissioner or developer. I am a resident who bought a home here to enjoy the available benefits and amenities during my retirement in TV. My goal in life is not to save all unwanted animals. I recognize that the current commissioners sometimes behave rudely to residents who oppose them at board meetings. However, I believe that working with the developer to make The Villages a better place for most of us is in our best interest and in the interest of thousands of employees who support our comfortable retirement lifestyle. Your insinuation that I am a commissioner or developer indicates that at least one of the challengers will also be disrespectful to opposing residents if he is elected to the commission.

That I ask who you are is rude?

As I said, I am speaking as a resident I am not running for office.

Thank you for acknowledging that you understand the commissioners are not kind to the residents.

The commissioners are not in office to work for the developers. They are voted in to work for the residents.

While they could have done nothing about the Hacienda situation , it’s an example of the fact that the developers don’t have our back.

They should have fixed it... but then that wouldn’t have made as much income, would it?

They could have built those apartments anywhere... why there?

The choices were 600 more residents or a parking garage.

Nice
Old 08-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
Oren isn't in this forum

I am speaking as a resident who has been to all the BOCC meetings .............

While I agree with most of what you (or he) is saying the quoted comment is VERY difficult to take seriously.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Another Tax increase crap!
Old 08-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
Oh... The plan is NOT to make changes... The plan is to find out what the residents want first. One Sumter needs to be put on the ballot. No one should make that decision without a vote. Don't you agree?
Oh, Ms Fox : Things will be soooo much better when you are behind " The Curtin " pulling all of the levers !!!

I think many people are aware who we are really being encouraged to vote for .

Our new Republican Candidates have taken their strategies and tactics right out of the current DNC playbook . They even have an overly- influential media source working very hard to support them in their efforts to turn everything upside down and to your liking .

Your image of " what's fair " , frankly , will work against the most important concern of every Village Resident which is strong and increasing home values .

Should your Team win I will be waiting for all of their excuses as to why they will be unable to roll- back those tax increases that you have used as the basis to get control .

Oh and just curious about something else . Your Team has often pointed out the unwarranted salaries and benefits of the incumbents . Yet , I must have missed their pledge to work for the good of the people as they hand over their compensation to the County . Perhaps they could offer the first year to The Animal Shelter ?! There is nothing preventing them from doing so .

Folks , I see nothing but Chaos ahead if the EMS Team prevails .

Eventually the " New Boss " turns out to be the same as " The Old Boss " and sometimes worse .
Old 08-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Sage

Oren Miller is a commissioner for the people. Hearing about the way people feel about this situation, he agrees that if not giving this money to the entertainment department would stop the the entertainment on the square... by all means, they should get the funds. He said his intention was NOT to "defund" the entertainment on the square, he just felt that there could have been better venues to spend the money.

Oren Miller is not in this forum and this is why I have to reply. He gives you his word, he will vote for what the PEOPLE want.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The "county tax" millage rate went up by about 25%. Your assessed value may have also gone up. The "school tax" millage rate was essentially unchanged. There are a couple of other components to the "total" tax bill. They were essentially unchanged. Since the "county tax" is about 1/2 of the "total" tax, for most people the "total tax" bill went up about 12%. This assumes your were homesteaded and you paid off your bond. If you still have your bond, the percentage increase will be lower. Your milage may vary.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clear explanation. Bottom line is you are of course correct my county taxes did increase by 25% (~$125) which is 1 mid-priced ticket at Sharon Center when it was opened. I can live with it and after NJ it's a bargain as we had a $3000 increase 1 year (2015). Of course no one likes taxes going up but for $125 I won't "make a federal case" out of it (but they better finish paving Morse at O'Dell Circle by Mallory CC for my $125!).
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:26 AM
Sage

How the current commissioners treat the residents

How the commissioners treat visitors - YouTube

Oren Miller will listen.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	D46AC534-B20C-43BA-81DC-D8AC13D96BBD.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	85814  

Last edited by angiefox10; 08-18-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
... Folks , I see nothing but Chaos ahead if the EMS Team prevails .

Eventually the " New Boss " turns out to be the same as " The Old Boss " and sometimes worse ....
I agree with this. Those attempting to unseat the incumbants have made it clear that they intend to oppose (dare I say stifle) the plans of the developer. All the "for the people" talk is election rhetoric.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Why does George Orwell's Animal Farm seem to come to mind when I think of this election?
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-18-2020, 12:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Sumter County is not all of TV. Those of us in the other two counties are concerned about this whole "revolution" in Sumter that could decrease the value of our investment here. But the "revolutionaries" don't care about that, I'll bet.

Tags
entertainment, squares, lake, brownwood, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.