No more waiting for hot water

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Default No more waiting for hot water

Purchased a hot water recirculating pump from Home Depot yesterday for $200 and installed it in About two hours. No more waiting for hot water, works great! They are about $150 on Amazon, but I didn't want to wait. I highly recommend. This if you need to run your water a long time before it is hot.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Email Reported As Spam

what do you define as a long wait for hot water?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 AM

What brand was it? Where is it installed? How difficult was it to install? We are so tired of wasting water waiting for it to get hot.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Washing and rinsing my face and the water is still ice cold.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 PM

The brand is Watts at Lowes or Home Depot
Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM

It's fairly easy to install. Look up on you tube there are several instructional videos on the subject
Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
Purchased a hot water recirculating pump from Home Depot yesterday for $200 and installed it in About two hours. No more waiting for hot water, works great! They are about $150 on Amazon, but I didn't want to wait. I highly recommend. This if you need to run your water a long time before it is hot.
I'd be very interested to know how much more power you will consume for this convience. The water systems in homes in Villages are not energy efficient. I suspect your water heater will be drawing a lot more current as heat will be transfered to ground where pipes run continuously. The higher the water temp the more energy transfer will happen. Am I misunderstanding how these pumps work? Where is our physics instructor?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I bought one on Amazon and had it installed along with our water softener. The small circ pump is a Watts and fits in the hot water exit line from the water heater. A small valve unit is also required on the furthest hot water - in our case, the master bathroom - installs under the vanity. This allows a link to the cold water sytem so the hot water can circ enough.

Before install it took a good 30 secs for the hot water to become warm. Now, it's actually HOT in a second - really. Have no clue how much more the water heater needs to run/energy cost. I would believe it is a very small price to pay for comfort and running less water. My sig other would certainly echo that - It's a godsend in her words.

The unit has a timer, and we have it running from 7AM to 11PM.

Mike Scott plumbing installed, great. BTW 2 of our neighbors had it installed after us...word of mouth - Mike Scott supplied the unit and install.

Instant Hot Water Recirculating System - What's New - Watts
Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
i actually got a 2 gallon pitcher, from my kitchen, started the shower, used the removeable head and filled the pitcher till the water ran warm.

filled the pitcher to the top.... so I am wasting about 2 gallons every time i run the sink or the shower...

crazy....right....
Old 02-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The timer is a good idea.
I set mine to run at the times we would normally use it.
You will use more energy to heat the circulating water so this is probably not a cost savings device.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I bought one on Amazon and had it installed along with our water softener. The small circ pump is a Watts and fits in the hot water exit line from the water heater. A small valve unit is also required on the furthest hot water - in our case, the master bathroom - installs under the vanity. This allows a link to the cold water sytem so the hot water can circ enough.

Before install it took a good 30 secs for the hot water to become warm. Now, it's actually HOT in a second - really. Have no clue how much more the water heater needs to run/energy cost. I would believe it is a very small price to pay for comfort and running less water. My sig other would certainly echo that - It's a godsend in her words.

The unit has a timer, and we have it running from 7AM to 11PM.

Mike Scott plumbing installed, great. BTW 2 of our neighbors had it installed after us...word of mouth - Mike Scott supplied the unit and install.

Instant Hot Water Recirculating System - What's New - Watts
I had one when I lived in Atlanta, the installation on the plumbing was easy but I had to pull a line and wire an electric plug inside the cabinet. Did you have to do the same?
Mine said it cost the same as a 35 watt light bulb when running and it only ran for twice a day how we had the timer set. The only negative is that if it has just run you get warm water out of the cold line for a for a sec., as it works by cycling the hot side into the cold line until it reads hot water coming, but we loved ours and figured not wasting the water off set the cost of running it.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
The brand is Watts at Lowes or Home Depot
Watts great product have on in my Maine home five years now cost about as much to run as an alarm clock
Old 02-15-2015, 03:32 PM

I had a tankless water heater before we moved here. So I was amazed at how much water we wasted just waiting for it to get warm enough to wash my face in the master bath! Had Mike Scott install the re-circ pump and love it. Only problem is that we have warm water on the cold side when the water is first turned on but I don't drink it out of the faucet anyway. I believe that the re-circ pump just moves the already-hot water so I don't think the heater is working any harder. We did have to add a electrical outlet in the mechanical closet in the garage for the plug in. Something else I have noticed is the the floor going from the living room into the guest bath area stays warm. Guess the hot water pipe was not buried deep enough
Old 02-15-2015, 04:52 PM

You do need an electrical outlet near the hot water heater. I bridged off the one on the other side of the wall in the kitchen, so there was no running wire from the attic.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:20 PM

We keep an old 5 gallon paint bucket next to our shower and throw that under the shower head while the water is warming up and use it for watering plants.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.