Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   No more waiting for hot water (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/no-more-waiting-hot-water-143519/)

Papa 02-15-2015 06:52 PM

Is Cold water now hot also?

I understand that the "recirculation" uses the cold water line. If so, doesn't your cold water now come out very hot?

Rickg 02-15-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa (Post 1013270)
I understand that the "recirculation" uses the cold water line. If so, doesn't your cold water now come out very hot?

No, because the valve at the far end is thermostatically controlled. It is warm for a couple of seconds.

Bonanza 02-16-2015 01:19 AM

I wash my hands and face in cold water.

Cold water is better for your face anyway.

jblum315 02-16-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1013386)
I wash my hands and face in cold water.

Cold water is better for your face anyway.

Do you shower and wash dishes with cold water? No? I didn't think so.

coffeebean 02-16-2015 06:41 AM

The previous owner of our home had a Watts recirculating pump installed on our hot water heater. For some reason, they had the valve attached under one of the sinks in the master bath. It wasn't needed there because our master bath is very close to the water heater. The only area closer is the laundry room which is on the other side of the wall.

We had our plumber move the valve from the master bath to the kitchen and install one at the furthest point in the house which is the hall bathroom. We keep the circulating pump on all the time.

Bottom line is hubby and I love this gizmo. No more wasting water to "call" hot water. I timed how long it took to call hot water to the furthest point in the house and it was nearly a minute just to get warm water. Seems the water has to go over the river and through to the woods to get to the hall bath. This is a wonderful gadget in our home and I never would have known about it if it weren't already installed.

Important to know if you have one of these pumps in your home........ We didn't realize the circulator pump has to be unplugged if the main water to the house is turned off. We found out the hard way when the pump was ruined when we went back to NJ after our first season here in our "new" home. We had another pump installed when we arrived the following season.

pklein9747 02-16-2015 08:07 AM

Could someone please provide us with Mike Scott's contact info? Thanks!

Xavier 02-16-2015 08:59 AM

I believe I read that without a re-circulating pump, 10,000 to 20,000 of water is wasted over a year. Also read that the re-circulating pump costs about 5 cents a day to run. I put one in a week ago and absolutely believe it's worth the money. I run mine from 5 AM to 10 PM. By the way, the sink furthest from the hot water tank in a Gardenia and Camellia is in the guest bathroom. While you are making the installation, you may want to start replacing those "funky" push/pull valves.

Xavier

DeanFL 02-16-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pklein9747 (Post 1013435)
Could someone please provide us with Mike Scott's contact info? Thanks!

We had them install a water softener and the Watts circ pump about 8 mos ago - think the entire job was about $350 (labor and all parts/pipes needed) - I provided the 2 units from Amazon.

2 neighbors (the wives) came over to see/feel the hot water job and insisted to hubbies for the pump to be installed at their homes. Scott provided the Watts pump and install - they are so happy too. Can't guarantee prices etc for you, diff install etc. I think their install incl the Watts pump was $400 or so. But would absolutely recommend the HW pump and Scott for install. Beautiful job all around. Would be tough to live without the quick supply of hot water now. Truly, I turn on the shower and in a second I'm in, with comfy water. Too old for cold showers...those days are gone...

Mike Scott Plumbing
The Villages
352-748-9111

Residential Plumbing Services & Commercial Plumbing in Central Florida - Mike Scott Plumbing Licensed Plumbers

rodie 02-16-2015 11:50 AM

Mike Scott is quoting 425 installed. And you must have electrical outlet within six feet. They install the Grundfos system. Does anyone know if that is same as the Watts system?

Mike W 02-16-2015 01:54 PM

As somebody who does plumbing for a living, I've installed both the Grundfos and the Watts. In my opinion the Grundfos is the better unit. The Grundfos is a pro quality unit and the Watts unit is made for the retail market. However I can't tell if the Grundfos lasts longer or requires less service than the Watts because none of the units (Grundfos or Watts) that I have installed have required any repairs or have needed to be replaced yet. Only time will tell...

villagetinker 02-16-2015 04:03 PM

Bumped into a friend on mine that installed one of these, and I think he hit on the perfect installation. He has a wireless remote to turn on the circulating pump, and a time to turn it off after 10 minutes. So when he needs hot water, hit the button, and while you are getting ready for the shower, etc. the water warms, and then it turns off automatically, as you do not need to run it when you are actually using hot water. This approach should limit the energy lost in keeping the pipes hot, the running of the pump, and the wasting of water.
If and when we decide to install one of these, I think this is the approach I will be taking.

mickey100 02-16-2015 04:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for these fabulous ideas! Can't wait to get one of these pumps!

msfooter 02-16-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1013752)
Bumped into a friend on mine that installed one of these, and I think he hit on the perfect installation. He has a wireless remote to turn on the circulating pump, and a time to turn it off after 10 minutes. So when he needs hot water, hit the button, and while you are getting ready for the shower, etc. the water warms, and then it turns off automatically, as you do not need to run it when you are actually using hot water. This approach should limit the energy lost in keeping the pipes hot, the running of the pump, and the wasting of water.
If and when we decide to install one of these, I think this is the approach I will be taking.

VT, Please pass more specific info on that install - it seems much more efficient then one that runs on a timer. Please provide circ pump and installer name. Thx, Jimmie

villagetinker 02-16-2015 06:28 PM

Msfooter,
I have not done an install, my friend did. As I understand it, this was the normal install using a plug in pump unit, but he added the remote control (wireless, plug in type), and the timer to automatically stop the pump. NOTE, you could get away from using the timer by using an ON - OFF remote, simply push to on button to warm the water, and when you are ready to start using the hot water, hit the OFF button.
I will try to get more info when we get together again.
Hope this helps.

Sable99 02-16-2015 06:44 PM

This has been on my "to do" list for a long time! I can't wait til i get to TV so I can start checking some of these things off!