no power to outside outlets

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

And on a side note, not all post lights are on a GFCI circuit.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Not all outside circuits are controlled by the garage gfi. Check them all. I know of more than house where the gfi for the outside is in one of the bathrooms.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Sage
Default Garage outlet

Deleted by Alan. I missed that OP already tried garage outlet in an earlier post.

Last edited by ajbrown; 10-05-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There are 2 gfci in my garage .one for the lamp post and one for the outside outlets.- Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndchance View Post
The outlet with the gfi has power. When I press test there is no power at the outlet. After I reset it the power returns to the gfi outlet. My front yard lite has power to it and works perfectly. There is no gfi on the outdoor outlets.
All the GFI-type outlets are on one GFI--at least for my house. The bathroom, kitchen and outdoor GFIs for my house are on the "resetable" on in the garage. Very strange...
Old 10-05-2017, 05:10 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

As others have stated, this is typically because a GFCI needs to be reset. There are always two or more in the garage. There is often one in the Lanai or one of the other outside receptacles. Every so often, there is instead a gfci breaker in the panelbox.

If all of these were checked, then you may need to replace or at a minimum check the conductors to the individual outlets. If you are not comfortable in doing so, you may wish to contact an electrician to track it down and repair or replace as needed. That being said, Villagetinker is a wonderful, helpful person.

Frank D.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Just a word of caution. GFIs are very “fragile,” play with the buttons too much and they will need to be replaced.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Just got back from Italian fest, which was excellent. Right before the wife and I left for the fest I pulled the gfi outlet in the garage. I disconnected the two black wires and put them together in a wirenut and taped it. I then did the same with the two whites. I went outside with the radio plugged it in and nothing,nada and zip,dead. This in effect direct wired the circuit. So what I'm getting from that is the gfi outlet is good. Tomorrow I will pull the two outside outlets and see what's up. Any other suggestions?
Mike
Old 10-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Just got back from Italian fest, which was excellent. Right before the wife and I left for the fest I pulled the gfi outlet in the garage. I disconnected the two black wires and put them together in a wirenut and taped it. I then did the same with the two whites. I went outside with the radio plugged it in and nothing,nada and zip,dead. This in effect direct wired the circuit. So what I'm getting from that is the gfi outlet is good. Tomorrow I will pull the two outside outlets and see what's up. Any other suggestions?
Mike
Now U R on to something Mike. Just make sure U flip the breaker OFF before U take the outside outlets off. I'll bet my bottom $$ U will find the outside outlets R wet & have water in them.....

Good Luck
Old 10-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Mike
I had a problem telling that the circuit breaker was off in the fuse box. It had move only a fraction of an inch. Maybe turn off and on all the circuits.

and put the wires on the radio to see if their is power in the line, assuming you do not have a meter.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

I would call a licensed electrician to fix this problem.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
I would call a licensed electrician to fix this problem.
we don't need no stinking electrician......... tim the tool man allen knows how to fix everthing............
Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Default mystery solved!

I pulled two of the outside outlets from their boxes. I had borrowed a test light from my neighbor Ben and tested them. No power to either of them. My neighbor Ben stopped by and we did a few more tests with an voltage meter - still no power. We decided the only thing left to do was to pull the cover off the electrical panel and check the breaker marked outside outlets. We switched two breakers around and tested again. Still no power! My neighbor suggested we test the outlet in the lanai. On the way to the backyard Ben noticed an outlet near the a/c unit. It was sitting there plain as day and I had walked past it and never saw it. Of course he noticed it was a gfi outlet. It was in the tripped position and when I pushed the button - I then had power on all the outside outlets!!! Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes to solve a mystery. Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions, it motivated me to keep at it until I found the problem.
Thanks again
Mike
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I pulled two of the outside outlets from their boxes. I had borrowed a test light from my neighbor Ben and tested them. No power to either of them. My neighbor Ben stopped by and we did a few more tests with an voltage meter - still no power. We decided the only thing left to do was to pull the cover off the electrical panel and check the breaker marked outside outlets. We switched two breakers around and tested again. Still no power! My neighbor suggested we test the outlet in the lanai. On the way to the backyard Ben noticed an outlet near the a/c unit. It was sitting there plain as day and I had walked past it and never saw it. Of course he noticed it was a gfi outlet. It was in the tripped position and when I pushed the button - I then had power on all the outside outlets!!! Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes to solve a mystery. Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions, it motivated me to keep at it until I found the problem.
Thanks again
Mike
Near the AC??? Wow.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Thanks again
Mike
Glade you found it. I am not as ventures as you and I ended up calling an electrician to reset mine. For others with the problem I think the lesson is to check every room for the GIF. I have one on either side of my electric cook top, several bathrooms and several in the garage. All my electrical problems have been solved by pushing the buttons or turning on and off the circuit breaker EVEN when it did not look as if it was off.
Closed Thread

Tags
power, times, breaker, outlets, default

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.