No solicitors sign

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Gold member
Default No solicitors sign

Do you think when we move in that a No solisitations sign will keep folks from ringing the bell? Just wondering......
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

No.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

depending on the placement of that sign, one of the folks that might ring you bell could be from the community standards office!!!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie;6***89
Do you think when we move in that a No solisitations sign will keep folks from ringing the bell? Just wondering......
Don't you have other things to worry about besides a sign on your door? One can get more irritated by all the PHONE solicitations when you first move in.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 PM

"Don't you have other things to worry about besides a sign on your door?"

America's friendlist home town...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Missy. Either answer the door, take the card and smile.

Or answer the door, say "No thank you" and smile.

Or Answer the door and say "we have already contracted for that service" and smile.

Or, don't answer the door.

It will all be over in a very short time.

We have all gone through it.

We didn't buy or contract for a single thing from the door knockers.

We decided what we needed by talking to others near us, or reading this forum.

We had very little in phone solicitation. You should register your new number with the federal no call agency. Someone will give you that number.

It will be fine, Don't worry.

THERE IS NO WELCOME WAGON and no one is from "The Villages" who knocks on your door, just remember that.

There are all kinds of views on water here. We have chosen to have no water system.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 AM
Sage

They are unstoppable!

I like to say I do that myself, leaves them a bit perplexed.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Gold member

Thank you for your words of wisdom here.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

NO Way
Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default National DO NOT CALL #

I'm on it Gracie!

Everyone should register their phones on the National DO NOT CALL Registry.
It's simple, just call 1-888-382-1222 from the phone you want to register (both landlines and cell phones accepted) and follow the prompts. It takes about 30 seconds at the most.

I had a caller the other day trying to sell me something so I reminded him I was on the DO NOT CALL Registry and there are fines of $11,000 if caught. He continued to say ... "Is this Ms. Dempsey?" and when I said NO, he said he had the wrong # and hung up. Very slick. If you ever get one that says something, fool them and answer "Yes it is" See if you hear them start to squirm.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

I still wonder why there are landscapers driving around offering to supply and plant palm trees. We have a no soliciting policy, however since community standards does not seem to enforce much of anything, these vendors are able to rip off many new homeowners. Tell me, would you purchase a washing machine, or a computer, or a tv from someone who knocks on your door? Then why would you buy a palm tree from one of these guys? Just wondering.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I'm on it Gracie!

Everyone should register their phones on the National DO NOT CALL Registry.
It's simple, just call 1-888-382-1222 from the phone you want to register (both landlines and cell phones accepted) and follow the prompts. It takes about 30 seconds at the most.

I had a caller the other day trying to sell me something so I reminded him I was on the DO NOT CALL Registry and there are fines of $11,000 if caught. He continued to say ... "Is this Ms. Dempsey?" and when I said NO, he said he had the wrong # and hung up. Very slick. If you ever get one that says something, fool them and answer "Yes it is" See if you hear them start to squirm.
Thank you and will do!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Probably not. There are a lot of those door knockers who couldn't be deterred by a German Shepard holding an M-16 at the door.

But I have mixed feelings about the people who do that kind of work. They are at least out working & paying taxes and not collecting welfare from the Feds. (us) It must be a miserable job knowing that you're going to have doors slammed in your face, get cussed at, have the dog sicced on you and God knows what else. Many of the people who get in those jobs..(not the con-artists) have been out of work and are trying to find a way to support their family. While the idea of booting them out the door is rather pleasing, at least try to boot them out with a friendly "no" and a smile.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Default mixed feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Probably not. There are a lot of those door knockers who couldn't be deterred by a German Shepard holding an M-16 at the door.

But I have mixed feelings about the people who do that kind of work. They are at least out working & paying taxes and not collecting welfare from the Feds. (us) It must be a miserable job knowing that you're going to have doors slammed in your face, get cussed at, have the dog sicced on you and God knows what else. Many of the people who get in those jobs..(not the con-artists) have been out of work and are trying to find a way to support their family. While the idea of booting them out the door is rather pleasing, at least try to boot them out with a friendly "no" and a smile.
am surprised that you would equate someone who has a pickup truck, a shovel, and then considers themselves a landscaper with what you seem to think is entrepreneurship in 2013? not exactly like selling apples during the Great Depressions!. as far as paying taxes.....really? with most purchasers using cash, I seriously doubt that the IRS or any other tax system is getting their fair share. and let's not forget insurance. am positive that they do not have that!

I do not think that I am overly harsh; just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie;6***89
Just remember to have your new phone number unlisted when you get your telephone service.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.