No solicitors sign

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Florida State Do Not Call List

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Thank you and will do!
Florida also has a state do not call list which is free now..

Florida Do Not Call list

https://www.fldnc.com

Subscription to the Florida Do Not Call list is now being offered free of charge for residential and mobile telephone numbers. Your number will remain on the ...

National Do Not Call

National Do Not Call Registry

https://www.donotcall.gov

Offers registration for consumers to stop telemarketers from calling. (United States, for-profit commercial calls only).
Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Just as you are not obligated to answer your phone, you are not obligated to answer your door. I think that's the best solution for you and the solicitor who is not supposed to be there in the first place but is trying to make a living. You don't have the hassle of putting him off, and he doesn't have another rejection in his day.

I don't pretend to know whether these people are scam artists or folks just trying to make a living. I have a view out the door to see who's there. I just don't answer if I don't recognize who it is, the same way I let the phone go to voice mail if I don't recognize the caller's name or number. The person at the door can leave a card, and the person on the phone can leave a message. Nothing rude happens.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Just as you are not obligated to answer your phone, you are not obligated to answer your door. I think that's the best solution for you and the solicitor who is not supposed to be there in the first place but is trying to make a living. You don't have the hassle of putting him off, and he doesn't have another rejection in his day.

I don't pretend to know whether these people are scam artists or folks just trying to make a living. I have a view out the door to see who's there. I just don't answer if I don't recognize who it is, the same way I let the phone go to voice mail if I don't recognize the caller's name or number. The person at the door can leave a card, and the person on the phone can leave a message. Nothing rude happens.
Right as usual! AND....I would like to add that not ALL of the folks who come to your door are scammers. But you are new and haven't yet had a chance to get your information the old fashioned way, by seeking it yourself.

I suggest you wait to contract, particularly for lawn maintainance. Ask others who have been here for awhile or you will be paying too much or paying up front which is iffy.

Right now the lawns are just beginning to come out of hibernation and don't grow as quickly as your northern lawns.

Wait and see. Talk to people who you trust who live here.

As Bogie Shooter often says...

Patience, Grasshopper.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
am surprised that you would equate someone who has a pickup truck, a shovel, and then considers themselves a landscaper with what you seem to think is entrepreneurship in 2013? not exactly like selling apples during the Great Depressions!. as far as paying taxes.....really? with most purchasers using cash, I seriously doubt that the IRS or any other tax system is getting their fair share. and let's not forget insurance. am positive that they do not have that!

I do not think that I am overly harsh; just my opinion.
Hmm..I went over my post multiple times and at no time did I mention anything about landscapers, a guy with a shovel & a truck or uninsured people. You came up with all that and then tried to put words in my mouth. When I think of door knockers (as was originally mentioned) I think of the people who are working for some company who have to work door to door. ComCast employs an entire army of door knockers, as do the water treatment companies and the like. Obviously you don't want anybody at your door, that's fine, it's your home. And apparently you've got a problem with people who are so low in life that they have to dig holes to make a living. OK that's you. But please don't try to put words in my mouth and tell me what I'm thinking.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Right as usual! AND....I would like to add that not ALL of the folks who come to your door are scammers. But you are new and haven't yet had a chance to get your information the old fashioned way, by seeking it yourself.

I suggest you wait to contract, particularly for lawn maintainance. Ask others who have been here for awhile or you will be paying too much or paying up front which is iffy.

Right now the lawns are just beginning to come out of hibernation and don't grow as quickly as your northern lawns.

Wait and see. Talk to people who you trust who live here.

As Bogie Shooter often says...

Patience, Grasshopper.
I am also a big believer in Angie's List. I have found them to be a very good reference since moving into the area.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Hmm..I went over my post multiple times and at no time did I mention anything about landscapers, a guy with a shovel & a truck or uninsured people. You came up with all that and then tried to put words in my mouth. When I think of door knockers (as was originally mentioned) I think of the people who are working for some company who have to work door to door. ComCast employs an entire army of door knockers, as do the water treatment companies and the like. Obviously you don't want anybody at your door, that's fine, it's your home. And apparently you've got a problem with people who are so low in life that they have to dig holes to make a living. OK that's you. But please don't try to put words in my mouth and tell me what I'm thinking.
You get my vote of confidence. I think you are another sage person like EdV.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You get my vote of confidence. I think you are another sage person like EdV.
Awww...Gee....
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
I still wonder why there are landscapers driving around offering to supply and plant palm trees. We have a no soliciting policy, however since community standards does not seem to enforce much of anything, these vendors are able to rip off many new homeowners. Tell me, would you purchase a washing machine, or a computer, or a tv from someone who knocks on your door? Then why would you buy a palm tree from one of these guys? Just wondering.
Community Standards are not responsible for controlling solicitors. A call to Community Watch will usually get results.

The reason the solicitors are here in The Villages is because they get results. If we all stopped patronizing them they would go away. But we won't stop and they won't go away.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran member

Since TV is not a true gated community where people have to pass a checkpoint to enter, how is Community Standards going to know who is here soliciting, and who is here on the invitation of a resident? If they come to your door, get a name and contact phone number and description of their vehicle and then turn it over to CS. Then they can more fully attempt to stop the people from soliciting.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.