Gas or Electric Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Default Gas or Electric Golf Cart

We're moving to TV full time on 15 August and or house is in the villages of Amelia. We are trying to decide what kind of golf cart to buy. I want electric for the peace and quiet but all the dealers say that electrics don't have enough range to cover all the things we will be doing. The Par Car says it can do 60 miles while all the others claim 45 at the most. Can anyone tell me if the 60 miles is accurate? Any information one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.
Reggie
Old 07-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Gas or Electric Golf Cart

My own restricted use pattern (not a golfer!) almost dictated to me that I use electric. On the other hand, several of my avid golfing neighbors, seeking to play as many different courses as they can eventually have correctly pointed out, I think, that your smelly, noisy and somewhat "un-green" gas cart will serve you better in the long run because of its greater distance capabilities. Bear in mind that it is right about 15 miles from TV's current southern boundary (CR466A) to its northern boundary (CR42). If you live way south (you're almost there) and want to play way north, you may want gas, for sure!
My Yamaha Electric gets me maybe 20 miles before I feel nervous, so I try never to go more than 10-12 miles away from home (Sunset Pointe) in it.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Veteran member

We bought a gas cart. Husband was concerned about losing the charge if we were out and about. Gas is wonderful and uses very little. Saves a bundle. Also there were a few fires from electric carts being charged in the garages a while back. Some people "tinkered" with their carts to make them go faster and when they set them to charge, the batteries caught fire. Not a pleasant thing. I'll stay with our gas cart.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Reggie, I'm glad I saw your post. I was going to start a new thread today, with the exact same question! ;D By searching Google, I've tried to find "ratings/reviews" for golf carts, without success. :dontknow: I'm leaning towards a gas cart because I want the security of knowing I won't run out of "juice". I know the way I am, and I will go out and return home a couple of times a day.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:46 PM

I live in Santo Domingo and have a new Club Car electric cart. I've taken my cart from here to Havana, played 18 holes, and returned home with no problems. The local dealer said they drove a new cart 75 miles and finally quit because they felt they proved their point. We had a gas cart, but the garage always smelled of gas, and I was always running to the gas station to fill up the can. They also smell when you are driving them and they are, at least some of them, noisy. 8)
Old 07-22-2007, 05:50 PM

We went through the same decision process when we arrived last fall. We opted for the electric Club Car Precedant 4 seater. We have been thrilled with that decision. I traded golf cars for week with a friend who needed a 4 seater and I want to tell you the gas odors and noise were not something we cared for. I also like to take my Ipod in a little converter case which plays my music. I couldn't hear it in the gas car. My suggestion is to rent each style for a week before making your decision. We have logged lots of miles in the course of a day including 18 holes of golf and never even had our low battery light go on.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:21 PM

We purchased an electric club car that gets approximately 60 miles on a charge. It is quiet and there is no gas smell which is why we chose it. We are centrally located and have gone from one end of TV to the other with no problem. There have been a few instances where we were tooling around a lot and were starting to run out of juice. We also are fortunate that we do own two golf carts and have the option of stopping home and switching. We purchased a used one to have when our kids come to visit. I think we might have switched carts only a couple of times so we don't feel it would be worth the extra hassel to have a gas cart. If you are going golfing and then out to eat and stopping at the grocery store on your way home you shouldn't have any problem with an electric cart. You will have plenty of power left. It really will depend on your own travel patterns. I have heard they have now come up with solar panels for the carts. Now that is something I would be interested in learning about.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Electric club carts are great. Unless you are going to drive to and from Orlando you will have all the range you need. I've been from one end to the other played 18 and had PLENTY of charge left. Gas are smelly and noisy. I really don't understand why anyone buys them. I guess the sales pitch is that range factor which is no factor in your decision.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:54 AM

We had both for a year and finally got rid of the electric. We are geographically at the end of the earth (Nancy Lopez LOL) so EVERYTHING is a distance. We love the wind in our face so the drive time isn't a factor for us. A normal day is to go at 0700 to Paradise Lake to let the dog chase squirrels. Then home to play golf, Sumter Landing for lunch, home for our laps, maybe a Town Square that night, or a friends house, or pickleball. We didn't have the range with an electric. I'll give you the noise but the smell......only an issue when the wind is perfect since the cart shuts down unless you are actually going. We live close to a gas station and with all the miles we do it runs $10-$12 every other week. Where you live and how much you go is the determining factor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.