Noise pollution

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2020, 09:13 PM
Default An Octave of Wind Chimes Might Be Noise or Music

A full octave of wind chimes would be quite loud - noise to some, music to others. My wind chimes are tuned to the key of C, when I am inside my home I cannot hear the chimes, which are hung in my front entry. When my door and windows are open or I am outside, I find them soft, melodious, and soothing. There are far more serious issues in life about which to complain than the soft sound of wind chimes.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Back in good old Virginia Dad likes clocks, all kinds of clocks. Not good to visit on the hour. Windchimes aren't bad compared to many things.
In high school, my best friend's father collected clocks. They all struck the hour at slightly different times. (And every 15 minutes, actually) I think he did it so she would never have sleepovers.

Wind chimes don't bother me at all. And I love wind, so two nice things happening at once. I used to live 600 feet from the Parkway East growing up in Pittsburgh. You get used to certain noises and appreciate other ones.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I for one love wind chimes. I do not have any in Florida but I love them. Luckily when in Florida I have nothing to concentrate on so all is good. We are luckily close enough to the train tracks so we hear those. One of the best sounds in the world.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:32 AM

I have severe anxiety and thru calm me. I have nice chimes that are perfectly tuned
Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's not relaxing to me. It's like chinese water torture. If I'm trying to concentrate on something, then all of a sudden a gentle breeze wafts through the area, I'm immediately distracted by the chimes and have to wait for the breeze to finish before I can return to what I was doing.

When it's a breezy (not gusting) day all day, it's difficult for me to focus on ANYTHING, with those chimes constantly pinging all day long.

If it isn't a sound that is common to the natural surroundings, it distracts me. So a woodpecker might distract me at first til I realize it's a woodpecker and he's sitting outside my window boring a hole into the hickory tree. Cicadas are no problem at all, neither are crickets - unless there's one in my house. Then it's a distraction - because it doesn't belong there.

Lawnmowers are my my pet peeve

Same with motorcycles and diesel engines. It's also why thunderstorms don't upset me, but people hammering stuff 3 doors down does.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:29 AM

Maybe we should get rid of water fountains! the water sounds are annoying also 😱😎
Old 01-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie Man View Post
They are a necessary evil.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Maybe we should get rid of water fountains! the water sounds are annoying also 😱😎
Our neighbors have a pool with a water feature. At first, I enjoyed the sound of the waterfall but after the constant crashing of water into the pool, it was not so nice. I couldn't hear the waterfall with the windows closed but and I wouldn't open the windows for that reason when the weather was lovely.

I never said anything to my neighbors but thankfully, they turned off the water feature. They turn on the waterfall on a rare occasion when they are by the pool or are entertaining. Whew!!!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Very true. Wind happens at all times of the day. Not fair to force your neighbors to listen to ambient noise and you never know when it's going to happen. I agree.....The Villages should ban wind chimes as we are in such close proximity to our neighbors.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Default Wind chimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2172 View Post
When are wind chimes noise pollution

Anytime the wind blows!
And their not your obnoxious wind chimes!

Whatever happen to peace and quite, just listening to sounds of nature!
People who sell wind chimes should be locked in small room and forced to listen to the obnoxious clanging until they go insane, then they wouldn’t sell the stupid things
I just finished reading three pages of babble about wind chimes... OMG, if this is the worst thing that you have to deal with in your life then your way ahead of the game. If you wanted piece and quit then you shouldn't have moved into a place where for many, you can barrow anything from your neighbor simply by opening one of your windows and he can hand it to you. Enjoy the life we are able to live and don't sweat the some stuff. Don't worry, Be happy!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

This is what comes to mind immediately every time I see this thread bumped to the top of the "recent" list:

AC/DC - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution (Official Video) - YouTube
Old 01-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermichaela@yahoo.com View Post
I just finished reading three pages of babble about wind chimes... OMG, if this is the worst thing that you have to deal with in your life then your way ahead of the game. If you wanted piece and quit then you shouldn't have moved into a place where for many, you can barrow anything from your neighbor simply by opening one of your windows and he can hand it to you. Enjoy the life we are able to live and don't sweat the some stuff. Don't worry, Be happy!
Well said.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Sage

My daughter gave us a beautiful set of wind chimes. I explained they might disturb the neighbors and hung them inside, in the breakfast area. The truth is I don't like them and DH would go berserk if they were outside. If I want to hear them I can just come by with a duster or fly swatter.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
My daughter gave us a beautiful set of wind chimes. I explained they might disturb the neighbors and hung them inside, in the breakfast area. The truth is I don't like them and DH would go berserk if they were outside. If I want to hear them I can just come by with a duster or fly swatter.
That is just too funny!!! Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermichaela@yahoo.com View Post
I appreciate and accept your opinion on this. But, it really is a big deal to me. It's not small stuff. I would not want to be forced to listen to someone else's wind chimes for the rest of my life, in my own home. If I couldn't resolve it another way, I would probably sell my house and move.
Closed Thread

Tags
wind, chimes, noise, pollution, sell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.