Noise from turnpike

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Has anyone thought the drone of traffic doesn't bother folks who have a hearing deficiency? That may be a factor for some. If you can't hear the noise that is there, it would be a non issue.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
This might be off subject, however, is there a place to get gas for a golf cart in Fenney and surrounding villages?
I think there is a place to buy gas at the Gray Fox/Red Fox golf course, and maybe at the Loblolly/Longleaf course as well.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Would also say that we do not have feelings one way or the other about new areas. Our only negative is the inconvenience due to the distance away from everything. Our question is we keep hearing how beautiful it is, yet when we drive down it looks just like TV 3.0. Okay there are some picturesque areas when you drive into Finney but that can be said about each of the areas of TV. We just look at the neighborhoods and do not see what everyone is talking about. We hear "the walking trails" are great, come on it is just a walking trail, is that what makes it beautiful? Just questions we think about. Would like some comments from those that reside there, what makes it so much more beautiful than the rest of TV. No bashing here as we see positives an negatives of all parts of TV.
The walking trails are just that walking, running or biking. No golf carts. We transport our bikes down just for that purpose. It’s so nice to ride a bike, or take a run, without have to be on high alert for a driver that got distracted. Even in neighborhood roads, it can be a little hectic while riding or running. It’s a relaxing mode on the trail rather than defensive tactics. We average 10 miles a day, so being able to see the trees, water, birds, and have no worries is a positive for us.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Has anyone thought the drone of traffic doesn't bother folks who have a hearing deficiency? That may be a factor for some. If you can't hear the noise that is there, it would be a non issue.
I have a major hearing deficiency, and wear a hearing device.
Traffic and background noise is a major problem that affects me hearing speach close up, so the turnpike noise would definitely be a no no regarding a purchase in that area for me.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

The noise would be much more tolerable if one was hearing it from a championship golf course.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The noise would be much more tolerable if one was hearing it from a championship golf course.
It's already in the works and will be right along the Turnpike and I would be willing to bet that all of the homes they build around that course will be sold quickly.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Like it or not, Fenney is going to be the "center" of The Villages in about 10 years. There will be gas stations, shopping, golf courses etc. It will all be interconnected and it will be gorgeous albeit "different" than the rest of The Villages as the developer modifies his concept of what society/retirees looking for in the current and foreseeable future.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

The turnpike is really loud over there today as it was yesterday too.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have a major hearing deficiency, and wear a hearing device.
Traffic and background noise is a major problem that affects me hearing speach close up, so the turnpike noise would definitely be a no no regarding a purchase in that area for me.
I thought it would be just the opposite. Thank you for that explanation. My hearing is fine at this point so I don't have personal experience such as you explained.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I thought it would be just the opposite. Thank you for that explanation. My hearing is fine at this point so I don't have personal experience such as you explained.
Yup, sadly my hearing aids are also almost painful if there is a lot of background noise. They are great for my wife and I talking in our car or living room, or watching TV, but in general I have given up using them. Easier just to train my wife to yell at me in public!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Yup, sadly my hearing aids are also almost painful if there is a lot of background noise. They are great for my wife and I talking in our car or living room, or watching TV, but in general I have given up using them. Easier just to train my wife to yell at me in public!
The worse place I have found for hearing aid wearers in TV's is without doubt, The Lighthouse Restaurant. Unreal the noise in that place!!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Who doesn't like the sound of big trucks and hotrods.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I will take the traffic noise anyway over crying kids or barking dogs. And I love kids and dogs.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default My two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
Goldwingnut pondered the question on his recent video of how is the noise down in the linden,monarch grove area? Any of y'all who live close to the turnpike can give your input would be great. I have seen some great house prices along the streets that back up to the turnpike but wonder if it's worth the deal. Thanks for any input.
Like most things it is a matter of opinion. YOURS is the only one that matters. You can adjust your landscaping to reduce noise.
You can install double thick glass windows.

As a kid, our apartment was looking down on elevated trains.
You do get used to it. Aside, our home is block, quieter than a home with siding. We have trains about three miles away and they do blow their whistle at crossings. If, you pay attention you can hear them at night. For me, it does not bother me.
Others are disturbed by by the noise of their air conditioning.

As stated,"worth the deal," it is your opinion. Is a golf view, a drainage ditch view, a real lake view worth the deal?
Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I walked the trail down there this morning and as we got closer and closer to the turnpike, we told each other how glad we were not to live that close to a busy highway. The noise was too much for us. And they are building a neighborhood that is closer to the turnpike than the trail is. Maybe they'll be adding noise abatement walls. That could help a lot though the view of a big ole honkin' wall isn't anything to brag about either.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, noise, great, input, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.