Hiding Utility Boxes in yard

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Default Hiding Utility Boxes in yard

3 weeks since closing and we are almost furnished inside and we have a sign on our light post outside now! (YEAH).

Next up we are considering landscaping. Lots of driving around looking at what others have done.

A priority is changing the pine needles into rocks. The second priority is a tiered/stepped wall (pavers) around the rocks.

In thinking about the front yard (in a CYV) we see at the street is a couple water access panels, and a couple telecommunications boxes.

I was wondering how much I can hide those? I KNOW the technicians have to have full access to them, but can I put some plants/hedges around 2 or 3 sides of them?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:12 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Just a few words of caution....We always recommend before folks have hardscaping done that you make sure they do NOT compromise the integrity of keeping the plant sprinkler zones and the grass sprinkler zones separate. Plants typically need less water than grass, and when you mix the zones you screw all that up.

Also, your tankless water heater should be serviced every 1-2 years, so they need CLEAR access to it. Also, (in Lake county) You need access to your exterior panelbox. I would also not block your meter box too much.

You would be surprised at how much plants cover and take over in a few short years.....

Hope that helps! Frank D.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Also, you will need to file plans with ARC for what you are describing, especially the changing of pine-straw for rock, in some cases this has not been allowed. I would also call ARC and ask if they have guidelines regarding plants around the utility boxes, in any case, I would stick with muhly grass or similar, something with limited roots and no trunk. Roots could damage the underground facilities (your cost), and if the tree in in the way, it will probably be cut down. Call ARC before you do any work.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Just a few words of caution....We always recommend before folks have hardscaping done that you make sure they do NOT compromise the integrity of keeping the plant sprinkler zones and the grass sprinkler zones separate. Plants typically need less water than grass, and when you mix the zones you screw all that up.

Also, your tankless water heater should be serviced every 1-2 years, so they need CLEAR access to it. Also, (in Lake county) You need access to your exterior panelbox. I would also not block your meter box too much.

You would be surprised at how much plants cover and take over in a few short years.....

Hope that helps! Frank D.
Excellent advice, Thank you.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

I had to remove plantings that had grown too big and partially blocked the utility boxes. Well, I could have cut them back but opted to just take them out.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Also, you will need to file plans with ARC for what you are describing, especially the changing of pine-straw for rock, in some cases this has not been allowed. I would also call ARC and ask if they have guidelines regarding plants around the utility boxes, in any case, I would stick with muhly grass or similar, something with limited roots and no trunk. Roots could damage the underground facilities (your cost), and if the tree in in the way, it will probably be cut down. Call ARC before you do any work.
Thanks, and yes, my plan was to talk to ARC before making any final decisions.

The tree in that area came with the house, and we were planning to leave it, it is surprising to me how close it is to the utilities.

A couple neighbors have had rock put in, but I have not caught them at home to ask if they are approved or just did it. Talking to them is also in the works.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts

Check out a fake rock, we have one over our well head up north. They are hollow and come in all shapes, sizes, and many rock types. They look very real and can simply be placed over the utility box and lifted off when access is needed. Just be sure to check first that it won't violate any deed restrictions. Good luck, it is fun to follow all the projects you have going on in your new home.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Check out a fake rock, we have one over our well head up north. They are hollow and come in all shapes, sizes, and many rock types. They look very real and can simply be placed over the utility box and lifted off when access is needed. Just be sure to check first that it won't violate any deed restrictions. Good luck, it is fun to follow all the projects you have going on in your new home.
Outstanding! I will call ARC tomorrow and see if that is allowed! I love it!
Old 09-26-2019, 05:23 PM

This flat over one of those ugly green panels to access the water valves! They come in various colors to match your yard.
This would be awesome! And tall ones for the telecomm boxes.

I am definitely talking with ARC tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	71uSmjfPBbL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	81089   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	81mqCN+NqOL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	81090  
Old 09-27-2019, 02:00 AM

While many Villagers have put in rocks in their landscaped areas, be aware that the rocks hold the heat and your plants will bake in the sun, particularly in the summer.
In addition, the rocks add nothing to the soil (errrr, rather, the sand) while mulch does, over time.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
While many Villagers have put in rocks in their landscaped areas, be aware that the rocks hold the heat and your plants will bake in the sun, particularly in the summer.
In addition, the rocks add nothing to the soil (errrr, rather, the sand) while mulch does, over time.
Mulch attracts termites.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Platinum member

You can't put certain objects in your yard such as crosses, lawn ornaments, etc. because they detract from the attractiveness and standardization of the neighborhood, but ugly utility boxes are fine??????????? Where is the lady in the red golf cart with her clipboard? Luckily the ones near our house are in the back yard out of sight.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
You can't put certain objects in your yard such as crosses, lawn ornaments, etc. because they detract from the attractiveness and standardization of the neighborhood, but ugly utility boxes are fine??????????? Where is the lady in the red golf cart with her clipboard? Luckily the ones near our house are in the back yard out of sight.
Lol! My utility box must be hiding somewhere I have no idea where it is on the property. But “the lady in the red golf cart” is welcome to the ugly planters the previous owner forgot to take with him to Boston.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:01 PM
Default Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Mulch attracts termites.
Do you have a reference for this broad statement? I've lived in the south for many years with myself and neighbors having wood mulch in our yards. Have never once heard of a case of termites caused by the mulch.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 09-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
Do you have a reference for this broad statement? I've lived in the south for many years with myself and neighbors having wood mulch in our yards. Have never once heard of a case of termites caused by the mulch.
Google and Bing are your friends. A search will show that there are arguments on both sides about termites and mulch. You make the decision on who is correct. Where we lived in Tennessee the pest control companies discouraged the use of mulch as they said that it attracted termites. Yes we did have an infestation of termites but I caught it in time before any significant damage was done.
Closed Thread

Tags
priority, access, couple, yard, rocks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.